Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ahhh - bummed (several times over, somewhat dryly)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feeling that something is wrong with this story.

Just going by pure intuition here, who seems the most dodgy and Delboyish out of all these people? We've all got gut intuitions. Never mind anything else - just go by intuition:

TMF
Steve
Chris

No need to tell me your answer - I'll guess for myself. My intuition is telling me something completely different to the story presented here.

Youtube viewers seem incredibly trusting. I wouldn't say I'm especially mistrustful of people, but I think there might be an excessive presumption of good nature towards strangers, in the case of viewers in respect of their Youtube idols.

Does he even seem the sort to want a dodgy, crappy cafe racer with knobblies in the first place? Is this all an attempt to garner sympathy, in collusion with the mechanics who bolted on his Chinese bits for him? What's he getting out of this? Are there even any receipts? He isn't going to ride it, is he. What's this really all about? Any inkling it might be about sympathy money? I don't know - I'm just guessing here. But something seems wrong.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments on the original video are a bit weird... in the sense that they all say the same thing: variations on "it looks much better" and "wow, those guys were super helpful." CBA to scroll through them all but I didn't see any "WTF, dude!?" Surely somebody "normal" might stumble across the the video and pass comment Thinking

Reminds me of all those 5 star Trustpilot reviews that are definitely by real ppl Smile

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PBxn2O5iGk
We get to see how it ended up Laughing Looks alright if you are into that kind of thing, but I cant believe someone willingly spent £15k just to end up with a Royal Enfield. The fact that it took 10 days to do all that work shows how much he got shafted by RE.

I just loved how he goes "It's perfect" and "It's just the way I wanted it" and then complains about bits he doesn't like like the colour of the seat lettering.

TMF is an absolute clown. Also why is that Chris guy bending over backwards to lose money on labour doing TMF's bike when he has no contractual obligation to? It was the Royal Enfield dealer who shagged TMF not the random shop bloke next door.

Is Chris going to get an upturn in business thanks to some slight screen time and mentions by TMF? No. Would Chris experience a downturn in business if he did nothing to help TMF? No.

Seems very strange. I get the feeling something else is at play here. TMF cannot possibly be this fucking soft.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The comments on the original video are a bit weird... in the sense that they all say the same thing: variations on "it looks much better" and "wow, those guys were super helpful." CBA to scroll through them all but I didn't see any "WTF, dude!?" Surely somebody "normal" might stumble across the the video and pass comment Thinking

Reminds me of all those 5 star Trustpilot reviews that are definitely by real ppl Smile

His fans are too polite to tell him how much of a ploker he is. I did see a few telling him how shite the seat looks and his response was "life is too short".
What I love is all the comments about how great Chris is for sorting it out. He's the guy that screwed it up originally and handed it back with indicators falling off but apparently that's all Enfields fault Laughing It's no wonder he offered to fix that shite once he realised it was a youtubers bike and his company name was out there.

I don't think there's anything dodgy going on, but I am really surprised he actually paid for it and it wasn't some kind of sponsorship deal.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I get the feeling that something is wrong with this story.

There's definitely something going on with Chris and his "guilt work". He did the work originally (as a sub contractor), and he rescued TMF's bike from a closed business next door. On the surface, he's already done a good turn for TMF, why would he be doing all this other work for free?

There's definitely something up there. Maybe he was more involved with the RE dealership than he lets on. Maybe he's more culpable for the mistakes made in the original customisation than he's admitted. Maybe he feels unjustifiably guilty for his part in the whole saga. Maybe he just wants the good publicity of TMF's channel. But the amount of work he's done is way more than you'd think would be justified, from the story we've been told, on the surface at least. There's definitely more to it, but I don't think we'll ever know the real story.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
There's definitely something going on with Chris and his "guilt work".

I don't know why everyone seems to think this is such a big mystery. Love him or loathe him, TMF has pushing a quarter of a million subscribers and so far 105,000 of them have viewed the original video where he's whinging about having been shafted over his customisation job. I imagine Chris saw this not as not only a marketing opportunity to get his services plugged but also, possibly more importantly, the exact opposite of that if he left things as they were, and TMF decided to sound off some more in public about how shit the actual quality of Chris' original work had been

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Zen Dog wrote:
There's definitely something going on with Chris and his "guilt work".

I don't know why everyone seems to think this is such a big mystery. Love him or loathe him, TMF has pushing a quarter of a million subscribers and so far 105,000 of them have viewed the original video where he's whinging about having been shafted over his customisation job. I imagine Chris saw this not as not only a marketing opportunity to get his services plugged but also, possibly more importantly, the exact opposite of that if he left things as they were, and TMF decided to sound off some more in public about how shit the actual quality of Chris' original work had been

I wouldn't sponsor TMF, his audience is way too small. Absolutely fuck all market penetration from it unless you were selling something super-niche to just bikers.

Chris' isn't selling a product that can be shipped easily, he is selling labour and as such labour is restricted to the immediate geographical area in which is it provided as it is tethered to premises. As such, I fail to see what Chris will get out of it as lets face reality: fucking nobody is willing to go out with their comfortable travelling radius just to give some business to a guy that helped out one of the YouTubers they follow once before. The audience he will be appealing to is very restricted to the followers of TMF in his immediate area: which isn't all 250,000 people that follow TMF.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMF comes across as rather needy - I also suspect he was bullied at school.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My inner Sherlock Holmes finds this case to be of some interest.

Of course, if you're in any way critical of TMF then you're obviously envious of something or the other, so let's get that out of the way... Whatever. There are a lot of cap-doffers, and this is still a country where some people still think Premium Bonds are a good investment and savings choice. Plus, most people don't understand how the Youtube algorithm works (i.e. you pay for a certain number of views until your channel and videos are picked up by the system and recommended to everyone). So, putting the reactions of the simpleminded to the side for one moment, here are some curious things I noticed and have been pondering:

1) Under the original video posted by TMF where he said he'd been shafted, a lot of people said he had more money than sense. Most of those comments have now been deleted. TMF's response to them was: "That makes me feel much better, coming from someone poor and stupid". He posted that standard line LOTS of times. This has now changed, and he posts "Got to love the internet!"
Why is he now hiding his true thoughts and feelings, if he's so rich he can do what he wants without worrying about what sponsors and patrons think? Or perhaps he can't afford to say what he really thinks, as he desperately needs that sponsorship money and the Patreon donations? Who knows?

2) There are a number of accounts that post rumours about TMF, under Workshop's videos. Some of these accounts have been deleted. Maybe they were TMF himself? I don't know. However, here are some of the dubious rumours that were spread:
- TMF is a professional airline pilot
- TMF earns $500K per annum as an airline pilot
It strikes me as odd he would be paid in USD. Furthermore, I can't find any reference to a commercial airline pilot salary in the UK commensurate with that extremely high figure.

3) Under the comments under his original video, which he has also deleted now, TMF himself claimed the following:
- He'd been having serious business/financial problems recently, and this disturbed his mind, which caused him to overspend willy-nilly on the pos Enfield. I don't know if that's true - of course I have my own suspicions about this claim's veracity. But is he in business or is he an airline pilot? Or is he in over his head in debts? Hmm. Appeal for sympathy, in any case, and a clear contradiction of his avowed appreciation for the bike right now...
- A parent of his had died. Claim for sympathy? True or false? One of those things which is a serious faux pas to question, so let's not go down that route... However, he did claim that this had upset his mind and influenced a poor series of decisions to fund this bike. Again, this doesn't quite add up, as he's saying he loves the bike.

4) Also under the original video, a number of comments called Steve (the original Bike Den guy) a "thief". TMF "loved" those comments. Then a user called Kerridge stepped in and, with apparent authority, left a comment saying that in his professional legal opinion, TMF should be very careful about making such claims or approving them. Those comments are all gone now, as is Kerridge's comment.

In addition to all this, separate from the Enfield debacle, there have been other rumours spread around about TMF, e.g. on BCF, which he has done nothing to debunk. For example:

- TMF is a former military officer (really?)

I think it would be great if someone could send him a note to come on here and clear up a few facts and (mis-)conceptions, so that we have a clearer understanding and don't get anything twisted. Wouldn't want to jump to any assumptions now...

Anyone remember the 70s TV show (repeated through the 80s and 90s) called Minder? Hilarious character in it called Arthur Daley... He was a big man, and had a Jaguar,, a big coat and a cigar to prove it! Occasionally, it was funny as he met his match and was outwitted by someone who saw him coming.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-28-2015/0otM5W.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
TMF is an absolute clown. Also why is that Chris guy bending over backwards to lose money on labour doing TMF's bike when he has no contractual obligation to?

Seems very strange. I get the feeling something else is at play here. TMF cannot possibly be this fucking soft.

I reckon TMF turns into Phil Mitchell off-camera.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
if you're in any way critical of TMF then you're obviously envious of something or the other

Damn right I am jealous. I make good money and I still couldn't afford to be shagged out of £15k and laugh it off as "nobody died". Some cunt would have died in my case.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right I am jealous. I make good money and I still couldn't afford to be shagged out of £15k and laugh it off as "nobody died". Some cunt would have died in my case.

It's a really curious case. How do you leverage a mass-produced Ducati, a normal Gold Wing, a bodged Enfield, etc.? Not exactly a Ferrari GTO or RR Silver Shadow type of deal, where you leverage it to produce more wealth (exhibiting or leasing) or to preserve your wealth, or as an investment, or to pass on your wealth.

People who are actually wealthy didn't become wealthy by wasting tens of thousands on getting someone to affix Ebay junk to a "cafe racer" that wouldn't even pass muster at the Bike Shed as it doesn't have a lith battery and transparent under-seat, still has standard swingarm and standard front end and standard wheels... Doesn't make much sense. That's unless you look at it from outside the bubble of bike Youtubers, perhaps. The world of today is a world of scam, right? Fake it 'till you make it. Instagram influencers taking pictures of themselves in front of flash cars in Dubai, etc. What makes this any different, I wonder? He is basically a social media "influencer". I don't believe for one moment truly wealthy people piss money up the wall like this. They are the sort who buy Rolex steelies rather than Tag Heuer, because they're aware of residual value, resale value, appreciation vs depreciation, etc. There are a lot of one-time-use Youtube accounts averring that TMF is wealthy. I mean, I don't know if he's wealthy or if this is his Youtube act and his Youtube thing is his main gig, but this story and the way it's continually developing seems strange. I would need more information. Doesn't make sense he sold his "favourite bike" - the Triumph - either. He said it's because it wasn't worth the insurance, but that doesn't make sense as he probably has a multi-bike policy. Hmm...

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck knows what's going on but i'll say this - there's a slightly desperate, weird and wired glint in his eyes at times just lately, very much at odds with the simpering "Hi kids!" branding of previously.

The mask slips...

Laughing

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Fuck knows what's going on but i'll say this - there's a slightly desperate, weird and wired glint in his eyes at times just lately, very much at odds with the simpering "Hi kids!" branding of previously.

The mask slips...

Laughing

Laughing I've always found the "Hi kids" thing creepy as fuck

EDIT: say The Bike Shed mentioned earlier and checked out there classifieds and saw this:

https://classifieds.thebikeshed.cc/details/2880

https://classifieds.thebikeshed.cc/photos/202112/original/0e1d7ef3238809096350cfd02547c771720ff68c.jpeg

I really really like the look of it, it looks well made and kept in top condition, but £9,700 for a 24 year old bike.... don't think I would.

TQ
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:19 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMF is an absolute clown. Also why is that Chris guy bending over backwards to lose money on labour doing TMF's bike when he has no contractual obligation to? It was the Royal Enfield dealer who shagged TMF not the random shop bloke next door.

Is Chris going to get an upturn in business thanks to some slight screen time and mentions by TMF? No. Would Chris experience a downturn in business if he did nothing to help TMF? No.

I reckon Chris has seen an opportunity to come out looking like a hero whilst still making money - he's done it 'labour free' but I bet he's marked the parts up enough to cover the labour anyway.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Fat Angry Scotsman"]
I still think word would get around in the local area that Chris did a shite job on some big youtubers bike. Now with a bit of work he's come out looking like a hero, even though it was him that was responsible for the original mess.
Someone in the comments pointed out that Chris somehow had the ability to go into the place and retrieve the bike and in the handover video it looks like they are in the RE building, so it's a bit strange.

Also just found out he has a plane so cant be doing badly for money. According to his website the youtube channel is only half his income, so you have to wonder what his part time job must be if it keeps him with enough money to buy all that stuff.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: say The Bike Shed mentioned earlier and checked out there classifieds and saw this:

https://classifieds.thebikeshed.cc/photos/202112/original/0e1d7ef3238809096350cfd02547c771720ff68c.jpeg

I really really like the look of it, it looks well made and kept in top condition, but £9,700 for a 24 year old bike.... don't think I would.

It does look cool, but all bikes have better lines without indicators, a brake light or a number plate. Confused

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
It does look cool, but all bikes have better lines without indicators, a brake light or a number plate. Confused

Wait, fuck, I didn't even notice that when I was looking at it earlier. How can they ask for almost 10 bricks for a bike that's not even road legal Shocked

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually machined aluminium parts, an actual custom rear subframe and not a cut-and-shut £15 Ebay Chinese "hoop", and they've gone to the trouble of making that hollowed-out look (requires lithium battery and seat undertray for electrics) which is mandatory in their niche custom scene. Plus, the USD forks, probably with a machine shop having done the yokes. Actual professional work has gone into that, and there's still profit in it for someone even when they're selling it for £5K less than TMF paid for his.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Also just found out he has a plane so cant be doing badly for money. According to his website the youtube channel is only half his income, so you have to wonder what his part time job must be if it keeps him with enough money to buy all that stuff.

This is where I smell blood, tbh.

I'm not convinced he owns a plane. I smell a rat, because so many one-time-use accounts popped up on Youtube commenting that he owns:

1) a plane
2) a fleet of cars

Tbh it's really hard to know the financial status of strangers. I wonder who's putting out these rumours, and why. Maybe to give the impression: "I'm not just doing this Youtube thing because I desperately need the money - I'm a millionaire, guv! Swear to God!"

If he owned a plane, do you think he's the sort of guy who would post a pic of it on his website? I think he would. After all, he calls himself a "flyer". I can imagine him being a member of a flying club or having a pilot's licence, and being proud of that. And why not? But his persona strikes me as fake-rich. He might part-own a plane, and shares it with several other people. He might have a hire-purchase deal on a Range Rover or something. But owning his own plane? Nah - ask for proof because that's very rare. If I owned a plane or a yacht while being interested in bikes, I would probably own a fleet of classic bikes as well. He doesn't have even one. And my garage wouldn't have leftover kitchen cabinet doors in it. And if you're on the computer all the time as a Youtuber, why wouldn't you have a nice big modern computer screen for your desktop computer? A nice £500 screen and not - whatever that thing is he uses.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
And my garage wouldn't have leftover kitchen cabinet doors in it. And if you're on the computer all the time as a Youtuber, why wouldn't you have a nice big modern computer screen for your desktop computer? A nice £500 screen and not - whatever that thing is he uses.

This. I know some extremely rich people. I always feel out of place when I am in London networking around the Livery Companies as I am pretty well off, but I am nowhere near as well off a lot of the people I meet there. Not even close.

What I find with people at the next level of wealth is that they only value quality and not quantity. They definitely would not have old cabinet doors in their garage and would just use money to make the problem go away. They value their time and the least amount of time spent on anything the better. Last time we were down, I had to use the metro for the first time ever and the guy I was with just put us both through using his credit card and I just asked out of curiosity how much the metro costs to use down here and his reply was literally "I don't know, I don't need to check". He didn't say it arrogantly, it was just his honest answer.

Hit me that some people are just so well off that they literally couldn't care about the cost of something: as long as it was done or obtained.

TMF doesn't come across to me as wealthy at all. He might live comfortably but he is not wealthy.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
If he owned a plane, do you think he's the sort of guy who would post a pic of it on his website? I think he would. After all, he calls himself a "flyer". I can imagine him being a member of a flying club or having a pilot's licence, and being proud of that. And why not? But his persona strikes me as fake-rich. He might part-own a plane, and shares it with several other people. He might have a hire-purchase deal on a Range Rover or something. But owning his own plane? Nah - ask for proof because that's very rare.

Well he certainly does fly light aircraft; he has plenty of videos of that:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_719tkJvufZfQOwwqet31jg1maisFm0a
The Missenden Flyer wrote:
This is why I call myself The Missenden Flyer, when I'm not riding bikes my other hobby is flying light aircraft, something I've been doing for well over twenty years

I don't see anywhere that he says he owns his own plane? he seems to fly several different ones in the videos so I would doubt it. I don't know where that claim came from?

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 18:31 - 09 Feb 2022; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:29 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has or at least had use of a plane.

Don't believe it? Oh well, just as well there's lots of videos of it on his channel. Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMissendenFlyer/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
He has or at least had use of a plane.

Don't believe it? Oh well, just as well there's lots of videos of it on his channel. Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMissendenFlyer/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

It's not his plane. It's a shared plane he rented. The floatplane was rented too.

https://www.cavendishaviation.net/gigglshares

EDIT: I know you didn't say he owned it, was just pointing out it isn't owned because ownership was mentioned earlier in the thread.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3