Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R3 vs Restricted SV650?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:03 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: R3 vs Restricted SV650? Reply with quote

Im on my A2 license and have a restrited 1991 RD04 which I love for long trips, but it is safe to say the handling is vague. I would like a sportier bike with better more precise handling so that I can practice a different type of riding. I was wondering if a small sports bike like the R3 (or maybe Ninja 300) would be better for that, or the famous SV650 which is said to be one of the best entry level / beginner track bikes out there. Which has more precise handling? Would be interested to taking it to track days to really push it.

Or any better suggestions around the £3,000 mark?

Note de-restricting the SV650 wouldn't be much use to me so that doesn't come into play. Here in Spain you can't just take the kit out, you need to get a mechanic to remove it, then make an appointment at an MOT test centre for them to certify that it's been de-restricted, then take all the paperwork to the Spanish DVLA and update the logbook to say it's no longer restricted - too much hassle I would sell it and get an R6 when I pass my A test in 18 months.

Last edited by CorriganJ on 14:57 - 18 Feb 2022; edited 2 times in total

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Re: R3 vs Restricted SV650? Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
I would like a sportier bike with better more precise handling so that I can practice a different type of riding. Would be interested to taking it to track days to really push it.

Either of those bikes would be better handling than an africa twin, certainly.
CorriganJ wrote:
the famous SV650 which is said to be one of the best bikes out there.

There is nothing wrong with SV's, they're decent bikes, but they're certainly not "one of the best bikes out there". Personally, if I wanted to do track days on it, I wouldn't buy either of your options, I'd just wait the 18 months and get the R6.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:57 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Re: R3 vs Restricted SV650? Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

There is nothing wrong with SV's, they're decent bikes, but they're certainly not "one of the best bikes out there". Personally, if I wanted to do track days on it, I wouldn't buy either of your options, I'd just wait the 18 months and get the R6.

Should have put one of the best entry level bikes! But thank you.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650 would be a half decent stepping stone and probably more fun than a 300cc bike as it's going to be much gruntier. That said, if you can hang on a bit and get what you really want, I'd be tempted to do that.

On a side note, your post got me reading up on the RD04 which was interesting and it's quite impressive just how similar it looks to the current AT, albeit what's under the skin is undoubtedly very different.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:52 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
SV650 would be a half decent stepping stone and probably more fun than a 300cc bike as it's going to be much gruntier. That said, if you can hang on a bit and get what you really want, I'd be tempted to do that.

On a side note, your post got me reading up on the RD04 which was interesting and it's quite impressive just how similar it looks to the current AT, albeit what's under the skin is undoubtedly very different.

I love the old Africa Twins. I think the RD03 is prettier, but for some reason there only exist restrictor kits in Spain for the XRV750, not the less powerful XRV650 engine. Strange. I bought it for a trip to Morocco and then Spain suspended the ferries between Spain and Morocco over a border dispute (: (:

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sv650s and it's a good bike, but I think all the praise comes from how customisable they are and because a lot of people race them there's a lot of information out there on how to improve them. I've just bought a gsxr shock to swap into mine and new fork springs to suit my weight and there's plenty of other temping mods like cbr brake calipers and front end swaps Laughing
I don't know enough about the R3 to say which is better though.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:11 - 18 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SV will be the better bike.

Its a decent enough tool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 04 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV stands for "still virgin". You won't get many birds riding one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1