Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric planes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Electric planes Reply with quote

I'm putting this here in the wake of the Tesla discussion.

I never knew electric planes were so far along but reading between the lines, despite the rosy slant, I'm a bit (lot) sceptical.(obviously, being a luddite Laughing )

https://www.afar.com/magazine/electric-planes-are-coming-sooner-than-you-think?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

United Airlines announced in July that it’s buying 100 19-seater, zero-emission electric planes from Swedish startup Heart Aerospace;

the Wright 1, an all-electric, 186-seat commercial passenger jet with an 800-mile range that’s targeted to enter service around 2030. Up sooner still, Wright Electric additionally announced in November plans for an electric 100-seater, the Wright Spirit, due out in 2026.

The only one really worth talking about at the moment is the one above. 186 seats with 800 mile range. But is that a best scenario 800 mile range? That could drop to say 600 miles if the weather is shitty. Also, what about the extra fuel margins aircraft are required to carry in case of emergencies?

https://www.flightdeckfriend.com/ask-a-pilot/how-much-fuel-are-aircraft-required-to-carry/

It will be interesting to see if this ever becomes viable or if it's a dead end which will be replaced by something completely different like fuel cells (which I would think most people would expect).

Just as an aside, I presume, looking at what little I can find about it, electric planes would revert back to propeller power?

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt any of us will see it in our lifetimes. The restriction isn't with how the planes use the power, but how the power is stored. Energy density is key, the rest doesn't really matter.

I develop amphibious engines to be used in full sized UAV's, mostly within R&D and testing, and there's no hope whatsoever for an electric full-sized aircraft. It doesn't scale well.

Media stuff is literally garbage, and so is Elon Musk.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:05 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works with drones okay.

https://www.airbus.com/en/products-services/defence/uas/uas-solutions/zephyr

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phrase/term Zero Emissions aye catches my eye in these outbursts.

I think it would be more adult/responsible to call them minimal emissions. Manufacturing anything involves emissions of one thing or another.
Even after we sort out that fossil fuel thing we love doing.

A hole big Thermodynamic-Conservation of Energy equation debate-ary.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planes might be a good target for hydrogen. I'd imagine there's a sweet spot for the storage tank weight for it to become viable.

It's an issue of scale. For small things like drones the tank weighs proportionally quite a bit even when empty and batteries (which weight the same regardless of charge state) might not weigh much more. Scale up to 747 and the tank weight is tiny vs the fuel and relative to the rest of the plane.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Re: Electric planes Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm putting this here in the wake of the Tesla discussion.

I never knew electric planes were so far along but reading between the lines, despite the rosy slant, I'm a bit (lot) sceptical.(obviously, being a luddite Laughing )

https://www.afar.com/magazine/electric-planes-are-coming-sooner-than-you-think?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

United Airlines announced in July that it’s buying 100 19-seater, zero-emission electric planes from Swedish startup Heart Aerospace;

the Wright 1, an all-electric, 186-seat commercial passenger jet with an 800-mile range that’s targeted to enter service around 2030. Up sooner still, Wright Electric additionally announced in November plans for an electric 100-seater, the Wright Spirit, due out in 2026.

The only one really worth talking about at the moment is the one above. 186 seats with 800 mile range. But is that a best scenario 800 mile range? That could drop to say 600 miles if the weather is shitty. Also, what about the extra fuel margins aircraft are required to carry in case of emergencies?

https://www.flightdeckfriend.com/ask-a-pilot/how-much-fuel-are-aircraft-required-to-carry/

It will be interesting to see if this ever becomes viable or if it's a dead end which will be replaced by something completely different like fuel cells (which I would think most people would expect).

Just as an aside, I presume, looking at what little I can find about it, electric planes would revert back to propeller power?

Absolute fucking bunkum for the reasons shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMmaG_3NnGs

Simply cannot get the energy density needed.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Re: Electric planes Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Author is this young Lady..

https://www.linkedin.com/in/elissagaray/

no disrespect but it's hardly 'New Scientist' calibre is it?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Re: Electric planes Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Tits and Garay then?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Re: Electric planes Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I, for one, would hit that.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:48 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Re: Electric planes Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

You have a linkedin account?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Re: Electric planes Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
MCN wrote:

You have a linkedin account?

Will that get me an introduction?
Cool

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:05 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doin't have one....

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its all energy density, powah to weight stuff innit?
Drones maybe because no seats, passengers, crew, luggage and all the weight of that and related stuff to cater for.

Cant see an electric A380 with 300+ passengers taking off from Heathrow and flying non stop to Hong Kong any time soon.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with having a Linked In account?
It's not exactly the moral equivalent of having brunch at Spoonies, is it.

I get different "things" from different social media. I'm quite erratic about which ones I spend time on.
But its definitely about different things. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:34 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Planes might be a good target for hydrogen. I'd imagine there's a sweet spot for the storage tank weight for it to become viable.

It's an issue of scale. For small things like drones the tank weighs proportionally quite a bit even when empty and batteries (which weight the same regardless of charge state) might not weigh much more. Scale up to 747 and the tank weight is tiny vs the fuel and relative to the rest of the plane.

Lighter than air aircraft would be a good target for Hydrogen. Especially for bulk transport/heavy lift applications.

It's become clear over the years that the hydrogen wasn't the actual problem with the zeppelin fires, it was the solvent and aluminium powder soaked fabric envelope.

EDIT: Sitting under a huge balloon full of flammable gas seems quite scary. But once you understand how they work, so does sitting in a thin aluminium tube 10ft from a 15,000hp turbofan attached to a fibreglass wing which is full of kerosene.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll just leave this here Wink Thumbs Up
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353850422386?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1WYWixWfoQDK7Gyn6uKSv7Q0&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=353850422386&targetid=1596500855709&device=t&mktype=&googleloc=1006957&poi=&campaignid=15278604175&mkgroupid=135429446288&rlsatarget=pla-1596500855709&abcId=9300698&merchantid=429375435&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI99ydysjU9gIVXertCh1jjQaBEAQYBCABEgIrNPD_BwE

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Lighter than air aircraft would be a good target for Hydrogen. Especially for bulk transport/heavy lift applications.

It's become clear over the years that the hydrogen wasn't the actual problem with the zeppelin fires, it was the solvent and aluminium powder soaked fabric envelope.

This blog offers some interesting counter-arguments to the idea that it was anything but hydrogen which ignited first.

https://www.airships.net/hindenburg/disaster/myths/

However the article does conclude,
Quote:
The fact that hydrogen was responsible for the Hindenburg disaster is completely irrelevant to whether or not hydrogen makes a good alternative to fossil fuels. In fact, hydrogen could (theoretically) be both a wonderful alternative fuel and a terrible lifting gas for passenger airships; there is no necessary contradiction between the two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:18 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, things move on eh? What we knew yeaterday isn't the same as what we'll know tomorrow.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

In fact, hydrogen could (theoretically) be both a wonderful alternative fuel and a terrible lifting gas for passenger airships; there is no necessary contradiction between the two.
[/quote]

Thing is, hydrogen IS a wonderful lifting gas because it's sustainable, degrades in the atmpsphere and is more bouyant than helium. They still use hydrogen to test new blimp designs because they can cheaply fill and empty them in the testing phase.

There is far more potentially dangerous tech out there being used today. Putting the stuff in gas mains being one of them because H2 leaks for fun. Although at least small leaks will dissipate quickly due to it being so much lighter than air.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Putting the stuff in gas mains being one of them because H2 leaks for fun. Although at least small leaks will dissipate quickly due to it being so much lighter than air.

It's been done before though - right up to the early 70s. The main constituent of coal gas was hydrogen, along with some methane, carbon monoxide and IIRC, ethylene.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came here looking for a discussion on powered wood shaving devices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

They don't produce as nice a finish as the manual ones. Razz

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
recman wrote:

Spoke Shaves. Drooling

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Islander wrote:

Spoke Shaves. Drooling

I love my Stanley 151 spokeshave but you can't beat a well set up and sharp number four smoothing plane...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1