Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help me decide on my next helmet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

phoebus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:30 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Help me decide on my next helmet Reply with quote

My GT-AIR is getting a bit old (seals are not doing their job anymore) and I'm looking for a new lid, but can't decide on one. I never really liked the GT-Air, but I was perfectly happy with XR1100 I had before (more below).

I'm from the continent, driving almost all-year round (0°C ... 35°C), due to little children mostly on shorter trips (work and back; highway, twisties and slow city riding). So I'm looking for impossible: warm (and not misty) in the winter and cool in the summer city riding. I'm riding in sport-touring position (tracer 7, eyeing the Tiger 900).

XR-1100 was a perfect fit and was a great helmet for me. I missed the sun visor, it was a bit loud and cold in the winter after a couple of years, but in general I loved it. I never had problems with misting (I used pinlock).

But GT-Air... I really made a bad choice. In theory, it should be perfect for me. So many favourable reviews! The sun visor, silent, warm in winter times, """"superb ventilation""""... well...:

- Yes, it was quieter than XR; yes, it was warmer in the cold days, but in the colder months, the misting was off-the-scale despite the pinlock (I'm talking main visor, not the sunvisor). I was in shop a couple of times and they tried adjusting the pinlock, replacing it,... and finnalysaid it was "too much humidity and the pinlock got saturated". I know I should open the vent despite pinlock, but I didn't gave to ride with open vent at 5 degrees on highway on the XR...
- The new visor mechanism should, in theory, make it seal better for a longer time. After only cca 4 years, the shop wasn't able to make it seal perfectly, anymore. The seals were just done, and you can't replace them on a Shoei (Nolan shop says they can on theirs).
- Then, the sun visor - no one told me you get all the wind in your eyes when you're riding [gt-air] with the sun visor only. So there I am in the city traffic doing << 50kmh with my helmet closed..... is that the case with all sun visors on all such helmets? I never had any problems with sunglasses (I know, they are closer)...
- And the worst was the fit - the shape didn't suit me (XR1100 was a perfect fit, so it's not a "shoei" problem).

So no GT-Air 2 for me Smile

I'd like to have sunvisor, *if it won't buffet all the wind in my eyes*. Do the flip-up helmets solve this problem, or do you still get all the wind in your eyes?

In essence, I'm looking at "good" helmets like:
- NXR2 (XR successor) [+ sunglasses]
- C5
- Neotec 2
- Maybe AGV? Arai?

Nolan / X-lite has really good support where I live, but I'm not sure, I remember Nolans as cheaper things we had on scooters. I know, 105 should be a premium helmet...

Do you have any suggestions? Most of all, I'm interested about wind in the eyes & the sun visor on flip-ups...[/list]

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:06 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suggestion.

Buy the one that fits you best when you try them on.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A purple one Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on my next helmet Reply with quote

phoebus wrote:
Then, the sun visor - no one told me you get all the wind in your eyes when you're riding [gt-air] with the sun visor only. So there I am in the city traffic doing << 50kmh with my helmet closed..... is that the case with all sun visors on all such helmets?

As far as I'm aware, sun visors are always intended to be used behind a conventional visor, not as a substitute. That's why they are really flimsy in comparison and not particularly scratch-resistant, so you can't blame them for allowing wind through.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schuberth are good.
Shoei are good.
Arai are good.
Shark are good.
AGV are good.

As said, Pick the one that fits your heid. Some shells are more ball shaped than the 'out-of-round' type shells.

Try b4 u by.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Schuberth are good.
Shoei are good.
Arai are good.
Shark are good.
AGV are good.

Never had issues with HJC either.

Had a Shark once, within a month the padding was so shagged out the helmet might as well have been 2 sizes bigger as it'd got that loose...

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Schuberth are good.
Shoei are good.
Arai are good.
Shark are good.
AGV are good.

As said, Pick the one that fits your heid. Some shells are more ball shaped than the 'out-of-round' type shells.

Try b4 u by.

In addition to this I can also confirm from experience that Nolan and Scorpion are alright too. Since you're on to Shoei already then I guess you won't be inclined to look at the cheaper end of the market.

Just a note that my £180 Nolan N87 gets a better SHARPS score than my £300 Schuberth C4 Pro but the C4 Pro has exceptionally better noise reduction. Also it might be an unfair comparison as the C4 Pro is a flip-up helmet and the N87 is full-face.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:24 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck SHARP scores, fuck what people have to say about which lid is the best, fuck what people have to say about the different brands, the only thing which matters is which lid fits you the best.

B1N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:39 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Fuck SHARP scores, fuck what people have to say about which lid is the best, fuck what people have to say about the different brands, the only thing which matters is which lid fits you the best.

Shocked
https://images.radiox.co.uk/images/108141?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signature=iansZJpU44wivWV5He6SKqXAtkQ=

phoebus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:05 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on my next helmet Reply with quote

Thanks Smile Yea I bought my current GT-air too quickly thinking it was "a shoei shape like the XR1100" and had it on only for about 5 minutes in the shop.... it is obviously a different shape. And the misting... it was (and is) driving me mad.

I suppose I'll just stay in the shop a bit longer and try it for a longer time before committing, like I did with the XR before.

I'm even torn between flip-up and full-face... I guess I'll take some time and go shopping. Hope I make better choice (for my shape of head and use) than I did last time.

Hope I find some dope graphics that will fit my head Smile

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
phoebus wrote:
Then, the sun visor - no one told me you get all the wind in your eyes when you're riding [gt-air] with the sun visor only. So there I am in the city traffic doing << 50kmh with my helmet closed..... is that the case with all sun visors on all such helmets?

As far as I'm aware, sun visors are always intended to be used behind a conventional visor, not as a substitute. That's why they are really flimsy in comparison and not particularly scratch-resistant, so you can't blame them for allowing wind through.

Yeah that makes sense... I always thought it was like sunglasses with the main visor up - until I did it in practice and it was worse than with no visor at all (which I wouldn't do anyway) :-/

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:15 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dope graphics."

I despair .

phoebus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 05:43 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a couple of shops and did two test rides. Contrary to my strong opinion on GT-air (1), a properly "fitted" (they changed the lining to better suit me) GT-air2 was a perfect fit with no hot spots on an hour long test ride. Despite the vents looking the same, it also vented a little better than gt-air 1 and the first position of the screen (venting) is just a little lower so it doesn't blow in the eyes - which should help with the misting.

NXR 2 was a bit louder (upright riding position) with no sun visor, so I passed it.

And then there's the neotec (ii) which was comfortable, too, but they didn't have a test one to ride (I just had it on in the shop) so I don't know about the noise.
TBH, I prefer both shoeis over Nolan I also tried.

I'll test schubert C5 today.
Most likely, I'll take GT-Air 2, but I'm still a little torn whether a flip-up would be a more practical thing.

Shoei dealer says I wouldn't personally benefit from it as I'm not a "professional" (teaching, policing) or a long-distance commuter on a large bike; plus they say Neotec and flip-ups in general are louder than GT-Air.
Schubert dealer said quite the opposite (once again, I have yet to test it on the road today): that flip-up is more silent and best thing since the sliced bread Very Happy

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:34 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't factor in noise at all. You do wear ear plugs, right?

phoebus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:44 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

On short rides to work (<20km, suburb<->city) rarely, as the speeds are also low, but always on longer rides.
That's a good point... so it's just the question whether it's worth 100€ more Smile

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on my next helmet Reply with quote

phoebus wrote:

XR-1100 was a perfect fit and was a great helmet for me.

I had an XR1000 and the 1100, followed by another Shoei I can never remember the name of but was basically the replacement XR series. They fitted me well.

This time around I've bought a Scorpion EXO 1400 Air Carbon. It's the absolute business. Light, internal sun visor, adjustable pump up cheek pads so you can hamster yourself up nicely, quiet and comfy.

Would definitely recommend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

"The Helmet angst is strong with this one."

(D. Vader, in a chat forum far far away.)

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 19 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

I wear ear plugs and there's still a big difference between my Schuberth and Nolan lids. I use those cheap disposable plugs you get a few hundred pairs in a single box from Screwfix though.

phoebus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:26 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here comes the unexpected conclusion Smile
After testing a couple of helmets, I decided on the helmet I thought I'd never chose [again] - (a fitted) gt-air2. It felt best of all test lids; I had a "better feeling" in it than in flip-up Neotec 2 and C5.

Today, I tested it in wost possible scenario for misting (cold, it was raining during night, even just breathing outside made clouds Very Happy), but it had *none* on new gt-air.

So far, I'm super happy, the venting is a little better than in first gt-air, I have no hot spots,...

...and I even got some cool graphics :-p

In essence, testing is eessential and proved I was wrong in assumming GT-air 2 would be a bad decision for me.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:25 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then, did you buy from the shop where you tried the lids or did you buy it from somewhere online?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
So then, did you buy from the shop where you tried the lids or did you buy it from somewhere online?

One would hope it was bought from the shop where the conclusion was reached, given the staff presumably had spent time advising, showing helmets etc.. to get the right fit.

My recent helmet purchase (yes from the shop I tried them on in) was quite an interesting experience; I hadn't actually quite appreciated just how much variety there is in shape.

phoebus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:30 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it from the same shop where I tried the lids. Yes, it was a tiny bit dearer than online, but given their effort, it was well worth it.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoebus wrote:
I bought it from the same shop where I tried the lids. Yes, it was a tiny bit dearer than online, but given their effort, it was well worth it.

Thumbs Up

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had the Shoei XR1000 and XR1100, lovely lids, but when I went to get another lid from Shoei they had daft bluetooth things on the side that prevented you putting your own bluetooth on and just looked stupid. I went for the Arai Tour X4, lovely fit, but for the money doesn't seem to be as robust and the graffics have scuffed and chipped very easily. The visor is a bugger to get on and off to clean, visibility isn't as good nor are the air vents. I doubt that I will get another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1