Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Re-map recommendations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re-map recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi all just wondering if any of you have had a remap done? Where did you go to get it done? Any recommendations? Costs involved etc? I've now fitted the DNA airfilter & airbox lid & akrapovic exhaust on the MT & obviously need to get the fuelling correct. I popped into A&M motorcycles in Letchworth who want £485 plus VAT which I thought sounded rather expensive plus they want the bike for two days which I can't really do. I don't want a power commander or any other "piggy back" tuning boxes as I wouldn't use the extra features. Any help much appreciated ta! Thumbs Up

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used BSD in Peterborough, they were recommended as having good results on the RC8. It was tuned for ridability rather than power, smooth as silk now at lower RPMs and did gain a few HP throughout the range. This was all done on a rolling road over a few hours, I can't remember the cost, a few hundred is about the going rate. They flashed direct to the ECU. This capability depends on the bike, if the ECU hasn't been cracked then you'll be stuck with a piggyback like the Power Commander boxes.

They do other bikes too, I would check in bike specific forums as they'll normally have printouts of results, and know if the ECU can be flashed direct (best way).

Wherever you go, make sure it's done on a rolling road with exhaust gas analysis. A lot of places just flash a generic tune and don't further tweak it for the best results.

Oh and if you're doing further mods like breather/cat delete, do it all now, then get the tuning done at the end.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a bespoke map I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to £500 to be honest. When I was into cars more, had quite a few remapped. Custom maps were usually in that ballpark as it involved lots of dyno runs, adjustments, more runs etc. to get it right. You've got a technician (who will be fairly skilled), the equipment cost etc.. so it does add up. Off the shelf maps (do these exist for bikes?!) are cheaper but only ever approximate and make assumptions. With bespoke combination of mods like you've got, custom is the way to go.

A few days though sounds like they can't schedule effectively; a custom mapping session is half a day usually (for cars, don't see why it'd be much different for bikes).

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
A few days though sounds like they can't schedule effectively; a custom mapping session is half a day usually (for cars, don't see why it'd be much different for bikes).

I thought it a bit unnecessary too & being the only mode of transport I have at the moment I can't do it. I'll have a look into the company mentioned above. Cheers guys. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've fitted "known quantity" parts the cheapest would be posting off the ECU:

https://www.wizperformance.co.uk/product-page/2015-2017-yamaha-mt-07-ecu-flash

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
If you've fitted "known quantity" parts the cheapest would be posting off the ECU:

https://www.wizperformance.co.uk/product-page/2015-2017-yamaha-mt-07-ecu-flash

Hi thanks for the link but as stated above I can't do without the bike at the moment as currently it's my only means of transport I would also prefer to see what the bike's doing under various loads. That website is interesting though. Thumbs Up

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get tuning a bike Rolling Eyes I would just have gotten one with more HP in the first place. I can understand it for fuelling I suppose and yes the exhausts may make it look nice I suppose. I always prefer stock exhaust on all of my bikes. I think I'm in the minority

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Steedman did my Super Tenere last summer, it cost £365 and took most of the day. He is based between Bristol and Bath. I wasn't after more power, just smooth glitch free riding and that was achieved perfectly. The ride home was a delight and I have not had the bike in touring mode since then as sport mode is now perfect at all speeds, even around town and threading through London traffic. I am one gear higher for most speeds now.

https://www.cjsracing.co.uk/index.html

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I just don't get tuning a bike Rolling Eyes I would just have gotten one with more HP in the first place. I can understand it for fuelling I suppose and yes the exhausts may make it look nice I suppose. I always prefer stock exhaust on all of my bikes. I think I'm in the minority

I do get it to be honest; most bikes have room for improvement somewhere in their performance as bikes as mass produced and have to meet certain blanket criteria, emissions, commercial etc.. - a bike might be a 90% fit for performance, it's quite fun chasing the last 10%, even if it's something as basic as sorting out the fuelling (for example my VFR has an annoying bit of flatness in the midrange that's only present on partial throttle - I keep thinking about looking at ways to tune that out).

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Extra power is just a bonus of mapping for a lot (most?) people ... Even a stock map on a stock bike isn't exactly perfect, there's always room for improvement (emissions, power, smoothness etc). Stock maps typically have a flat spot or dip in the torque curve part way up (usually where emissions are measured) - getting the bike mapped will get rid of that flat spot and give you a better ride.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
struan80 wrote:

Extra power is just a bonus of mapping for a lot (most?) people ... Even a stock map on a stock bike isn't exactly perfect, there's always room for improvement (emissions, power, smoothness etc). Stock maps typically have a flat spot or dip in the torque curve part way up (usually where emissions are measured) - getting the bike mapped will get rid of that flat spot and give you a better ride.

most of that comes under the "fuelling" heading

however from what i can gather the fuelling on the 07 is right - unlike the 09 (which, at the very least, used to be not good, apparently). I think the first thing i'd do to an 07 is the front end - get some emulators or whatever to improve the damping rod oem set up, and leave everything else alone (that said, I do like the sound of the 07 so might - MIGHT - be tempted to put a can on it, but then that's your fuelling fucked, probably).

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

however from what i can gather the fuelling on the 07 is right

Except the OP has changed parts though, hence it's probably off now as the ECU can only adapt within certain parameters, e.g. it'll assume the components are stock and any variables are down to atmospheric or fuel conditions.

I know what you mean about the 09 though; a colleague had one (completely original parts) and it was burning that rich it smelt like it had carbs not fuel injection.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Except the OP has changed parts though,.

yeah but for performance not fuelling issues, i think?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but for performance not fuelling issues, i think?

BenR wrote:
Hi all just wondering if any of you have had a remap done? Where did you go to get it done? Any recommendations? Costs involved etc? I've now fitted the DNA airfilter & airbox lid & akrapovic exhaust on the MT & obviously need to get the fuelling correct. I popped into A&M motorcycles in Letchworth who want £485 plus VAT which I thought sounded rather expensive plus they want the bike for two days which I can't really do. I don't want a power commander or any other "piggy back" tuning boxes as I wouldn't use the extra features. Any help much appreciated ta! Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

But those were performance mods weren't they? They weren't fitted to correct poor OEM fuelling, were they?

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really they still suffer from a snatchy throttle (if I'm being really picky). Don't really see the point in spending thousands on new suspension I'm quite happy with the stock stuff the bike handles beautifully although it could do with a steering damper as it can get "flighty" especially crossing Ware viaduct in windy conditions. Thanks for the input.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My VFR1200 is a pain in the arse at roundabouts and stuff. The throttle is like on/off switch. Would any tuning sort this out to make it more linear?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:47 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenR wrote:

Not really they still suffer from a snatchy throttle (if I'm being really picky).

Okay - interesting. But just to be clear, why did you make the modifications originally? Was for performance purposes? You don't actually spell that out.

BenR wrote:
Don't really see the point in spending thousands on new suspension I'm quite happy with the stock stuff the bike handles beautifully although it could do with a steering damper as it can get "flighty" especially crossing Ware viaduct in windy conditions. Thanks for the input.

Interesting.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
My VFR1200 is a pain in the arse at roundabouts and stuff. The throttle is like on/off switch. Would any tuning sort this out to make it more linear?
One of the things I asked for was a throttle movement that matched exactly what the engine did. Before this there seemed to be a drop off in revs just as I pulled away even though I was opening the throttle, a bit disconcerting. This only happened in tour mode. If I put sport mode on I revved the bollocks out of it instead as I pulled away. Now I leave it in sport mode all the time and pulling away is smooth as silk and small roundabouts are no longer the snatchy affair they could be before.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - interesting. But just to be clear, why did you make the modifications originally? Was for performance purposes? You don't actually spell that out.

Obviously I wanted more sound & better running if I get a bit of extra shove that'd be great. I'm already considering swapping the akrapovic system for a termignoni one though. Personally I think the akra is shite, far too loud & not very well thought out plus even though I sealed all the joints I'm pretty sure it's sucking in air.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1