Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Old f*****r back from the dead.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 23 Apr 2022    Post subject: Old f*****r back from the dead. Reply with quote

Decided that I have had enough of racing for now so bought myself a road bike.

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 23 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, good to see you.

I miss your Zim stories. I missed you.

Much love,

Minty.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 23 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet ride dude.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:19 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr Badger, nice to see you back. Thumbs Up

Interesting bike, tell us about it.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:27 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you are still around! Are you still growing chillis?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Hello Mr Badger, nice to see you back. Thumbs Up

Interesting bike, tell us about it.

Thank you, it is a 1927 500cc OHV Ariel Model C. In 1926 Ariel released the first of the Val Page designed engines (This engine was the basis of all Ariel single engines up to the end of production in 1958) the factory was so pleased with this that in 1927 they let him design the frame as well. This was a huge mistake as he did not know what he was doing and the frames were prone to breaking (1927 frames are easy to spot as they have a curved downtube and are known as banana frames) the factory did a ugly repair that looks like a lump of scaffold bolted to the motor but my frame is original with a late 27 modification ( a brace added under the steering head).
Lubrication is total loss and governed by a sight glass on the tank that allows a drip every four seconds. The biggest problem at present is the front brake doing nothing so the wheel has been sent off to get the drum skimmed to remove pitting and I need make a new operating arm to set up the geometry correctly.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:25 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

He lives! Good to see you around man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you still about Wal. Good luck with the brakes on that bike.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you aren't deaded. Thumbs Up

That's a lovely old bike. Very jealous.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Nice to see you still about Wal. Good luck with the brakes on that bike.

Thanks Pete, it is never going to stand on its front wheel but at present it will not hold the bike on a gentle slope. Two obvious faults are the pitting reducing contact with the shoes by about 40% and the operating arm is traveling way past the ideal point giving me about 30% efficiency.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see your still kickin Wal, Whats the plan with the badger if you've retired from throwing yourself up hills? recon you could get her into the national motorcycle museum using the wiki page you made as proof of authenticity? Laughing

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:36 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. Wub

Regrettably the quality of posts on here is worse than ever. Often I read posts and think it's complete and utter shit that surely can't be of interest to anyone.

Then I click the submit button anyway.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see so many old (elderly) faces on here, thanks for the greetings all.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing the cable part with car handbrake cable can help things a lot when it comes to shonky brakes. That's what a mate of mine did on his M20. Re-bushing pivots with bronze bushes (if they aren't already) makes more of a difference to these kind of things than you'd think too. It looks like it would stand a longer brake arm too? Or will lever travel not allow any longer?

One of the guys on the Enfield forum converted the double-sided SLS half-width brakes on his Constellation to double-sided TLS, which I thought was quite cool. You might not want to go to that degree of messing with originality though... Or you could modify Wikipaedia to show it as a special model.
https://messageboard.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12513#p99714

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 24 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arm is 62mm between centres ATM but I am going to increase it to 75mm. Because of it traveling past the ideal point it is effectively only 25mm at present. Once both of the major problems are resolved it will be efficient for its age.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well blow me off with a dyson. Nice to hear from you. I did wonder about wooden boxes and stuff like that.
Are you still involved with school children ( not in a Jim'll fix it sort of way). Every time it snows I think of you and snowploughs for some reason.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Well blow me off with a dyson. Nice to hear from you. I did wonder about wooden boxes and stuff like that.
Are you still involved with school children ( not in a Jim'll fix it sort of way). Every time it snows I think of you and snowploughs for some reason.

Thanks mate and no I have retired and am out of education, the kids were OK but management became more and more intolerable after academisation but I now do voluntary conservation work two days a week.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:55 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Well blow me off with a dyson.

Trust me, taking the Dyson ball vacuums name literally will result in an ambulance ride to a&e alongside lots of pain and embarrassment.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only last month I was wondering what happened to you.
And as if by magic ... here you are! Cool

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Can you wonder about my paypacket or a nice young blond with Daddy issues?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Skudd wrote:
Well blow me off with a dyson.

Trust me, taking the Dyson ball vacuums name literally will result in an ambulance ride to a&e alongside lots of pain and embarrassment.

Ah the voice of bitter experience... Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
Skudd wrote:

Thanks mate and no I have retired and am out of education, the kids were OK but management became more and more intolerable after academisation but I now do voluntary conservation work two days a week.

Welcome back and enjoy your retirement. Education always did have a 'special' type of management. Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
hellkat wrote:

Can you wonder about my paypacket or a nice young blond with Daddy issues?

I googled blonds and ended up with something to tempt you:
A super fudgy blondie
You may call me Endora.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 29 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the boards.

Apart from the obvious twist in the sub-frame and the excess free-play in the chain, she's a beauty. Wub

Mods, please check OP account/s aren't in arrears and seek remedy for any payment of back dues.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1