Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When will we get an EV commuter bike with decent range?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Quote:
Surely a role for you in the next Star Trek remake.

I am happy to cement my place in history as the most foul-mouthed character ever Laughing

"awrite Captin ya fuckin' cunt?"

As a fat, angry Scotsman you would also be entitled to tell the old Star Trek joke in your accent:

Why is Uhuru black?

Because William Shatner...

followed by

Captain's log....

https://youtu.be/KoBk8bxU1rs

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:57 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
With the right gearing you could easily get north of 40mph with the BBSHD.

I notice there's quite a few "hybrid" push bike frames available (look more like old skool dirt bikes) that you could drop in a modest 3kW rear hub motor and probably squeeze out 50+ miles @ 40~50mph.

That's the problem of course, as speed goes up, so does energy usage, by a good lot, which starts to get limiting.

You can get used Sun-Rons at a quite reasonable price now. May not be too bad to road register too.

For a long time (well over 10 years) I've liked the idea of adding a hub motor to a small cc commuter for a potential 'best of both worlds' - cruise through town on electric, then have the option of ICE for longer journeys or better acceleration using both. In the front wheel could be interesting to give you AWD.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience of eBikes I wouldn't recommend a front hub motor. Any sizeable increase in weight (i.e. a decent sized motor) is going to throw the handling.

TBF manufacturers are trying some new ideas:

https://cdn.visordown.com/styles/large/s3/Felo-electric-scooter-06.PNG

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/felo-fw-03-scooter-retro-road-scooter-future

50mph, 60 mile range? I doubt you can have both Neutral

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
From my experience of eBikes I wouldn't recommend a front hub motor. Any sizeable increase in weight (i.e. a decent sized motor) is going to throw the handling.

Lol, you ever tried to pick up a 1970's/80's ally front wheel? You could easily take a modern alloy wheel add two motor windings and come away with change.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Lol, you ever tried to pick up a 1970's/80's ally front wheel? You could easily take a modern alloy wheel add two motor windings and come away with change.

You should try lifting the front wheel while still attached of a zero or any E-bike with a large battery.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
OP, my very personal crystal ball says never

Mine too.

Look at new cars these days, whether EV or not. They are ever more riddled with automated features; they can read traffic signs, they can see lane markings, they'll park themselves etc etc; the market is clearly all geared towards going full driverless at some point in the not-too-distant future. That is undeniable where cars are heading.

How are motorcycles going to feature in this landscape? Do we really think that in a generation's time there will be a place for them in an environment where all other vehicles are self-driven, and driving licences reflect that ? I don't think there's any doubt that eventually motorbikes as we know them (maybe not e-bikes) will simply be squeezed out of existence. If so, there's little incentive for the R&D that's needed to develop the improved specs which are needed to make electric motorbikes a genuinely viable proposition.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Yes but I would expect the bike geometry to have been designed for that weight.

Something like the front wheel on a modern pushbike you could probably specify in grams over kilos. A 250W hub motor you could get away with but something like 3kW in reference to the hybrid idea would be quite a jump.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
How are motorcycles going to feature in this landscape?

There's the motorbike (EV bike?) from Westworld. Step out and it unparks itself, self-drives over to you and away you go. Trying to find a good picture of it...

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/03/16/06/26016624-8115341-image-a-95_1584339848740.jpg

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Pete. wrote:

You should try lifting the front wheel while still attached of a zero or any E-bike with a large battery.

Would it be much harder to lift than my BMW front wheel?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 25 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad example of an EV:

https://youtu.be/HvOtZPMPeJI

Hideous colour, 19mph, 30 ~ 50 mile range Sad

One advantage though (and this could be an advantage for EV bikes in general versus cars) is the battery pack is removeable, e.g. tuck it under your desk at work and charge it on the company dime Smile

A better example of an EV:

https://electrek.co/2018/08/22/delfast-electric-bikes-set-world-record-for-range-and-enter-full-production/

A sort of eBike/dirtbike hybrid, 50mph, >200 miles. Made in Ukraine so they might experience some errr... shipping delays Shocked

And that article's old. You can pick up that style of frame for a few hundred quid these days, add a 5kW motor (the delfast is only 3kW) and jam as many li-ion cells in as you can and I suspect you'd get more like 60mph @ >100 mile range Thinking

<edit> actually the 50mph is the 5kW model and range is not specified for flat out, as for all EVs.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 30 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Would it be much harder to lift than my BMW front wheel?

Oh yes. The Zero we have at work, I can't raise the front wheel to the balance point when it's on the sidestand. In fact I can't raise it at all, the bike just slides backwards.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2