Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moped trailer?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:11 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Moped trailer? Reply with quote

Hello all!
So, we can have trailers on 125cc motorbikes, and push bikes, but can we put a trailer behind a moped?
You might ask why? My answer is why not?
Cheers and happy day!
Stalk

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:19 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if the engine is 125cc or more.

I don't think they can be towed by 125cc motorcycles as 125 bikes are actually 124 point whatever cc.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:24 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to? Mopeds are hateful things with the power of on of Smiler's farts. Why would you want to make it slower by pulling more weight?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No; as above, 125cc or more. In the UK at least. Don't see the point really in trailers full stop on bikes; if it's that heavy you can't mount it on the bike (panniers, topbox etc..) then I really wouldn't want to have it hanging off the back of the bike.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:57 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Moped trailer? Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:
but can we put a trailer behind a moped?
You might ask why? My answer is why not?

Mainly because it's illegal. 125cc is the minimum legal trailer tug.

Chapter and Verse

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:12 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses chaps, I get the rules for motorcycles as referenced in my first post, however, this is a question about a 49cc moped, and as they are classed differently, and the rules apply to motorcycles, I wondered if there was a loophole here that could be exploited. Although I accept that insurance will be an issue.
I also accept that mopeds are dog slow, but a £58 drunken eBay purchase is proving to be a useful little runaround for town.
Once again, Thanks chaps!
Stalk

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:54 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loopholes eh?

I can find nothing in primary or secondary legislation preventing you fitting a sidecar to a moped. If there is a sidecar fitted, you can then tow a trailer...

Honda434
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:15 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow That would be a crazy thing to see a moped with a Sidecar and a trailer. I’m guessing it wouldn’t go very fast

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:04 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm? Maybe a more powerful 50cc engine might be needed?
I’ll just leave this here Shocked Laughing
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gv377_f3cvU

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:09 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might struggle to follow the "not more than 2 wheels" requirement with a sidecar fitted.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:45 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Might struggle to follow the "not more than 2 wheels" requirement with a sidecar fitted.

Exact law is:

no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a motor cycle with not more than 2 wheels, without a sidecar, and with an engine capacity which does not exceed 125 cc, drawing behind it any trailer;

Legalese translation, this paragraph applies to motorcycles with 1 or 2 wheels, no sidecar and an engine under 125cc.

By implication if it has more than 2 wheels, a sidecar or an engine over 125cc, this paragraph does not apply.

So possibly one of those dual front wheel thingies might be allowed to tow a trailer too.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one way of looking at it I guess...

Other thing to consider is weight.... You're allowed no more than 2/3 of the motorcycles kerb weight for the loaded trailer. If the average scoot is about 90kg, your trailer and load can't be more than 60kg. Quick look around shows trailers are about 50kg so that gives you all of a 10kg load you can pull. What's the point?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:20 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

An original PAV trailer weight 20kg. My PAV copy is about 35kg.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUqKm01yQLyc9ZDWTiUfsxXCL_ZWaCpQ7YZ5rWDI60kTNj_mir6uSXxVbxntZyoSIlCfYcVDbl7cbZpaBBOArFcSWoSGice6tB9W7OtBGzng6GQ1bpMNQHBqKuTobhfRlJl_pUWWp4Y3wV_tXPHzszD=w1182-h886-no

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:14 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moped Trailer?

Monkey Tennis?
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A learner cannot tow a trailer.
If you have a bike licence then why not.

It would be handy if you needed to tow a multi-bag or Quavers or a big sack of those polystyrene beads that ebay and amazon post suff in. Thumbs Up

It woukd also have to pass a roadworthy check.
And your insurer would have to be informed and agree to cover. Probably for a fee too.

So not much to stop you.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:29 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

It woukd also have to pass a roadworthy check.

What's one of those?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1