Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit turns over, will not start.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Crashhere
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:07 - 02 May 2022    Post subject: Bandit turns over, will not start. Reply with quote

Hi guys.
I've had a bandit gsf600s in storage for around 8 years. I decided to try and get it back out on the road so I have giving it an overhaul. Initially it fired up but very rough as you can imagine. I replaced the battery and the plugs and the next day, I noticed that fuel had leaked into the oil, so I did an oil change and rebuilt the petcock and decided to clean the carbs out incase the float valves were stuck. I took the opportunity to do a full jet service and rebuild of the carbs. The bike continued to run to the point I did a full tune up on the carbs, making sure they were balanced. All good at that point (last weekend). I even rebuilt the forks and got my self a new helmet, lol!

This weekend she won't fire up........? The starter turns but will not fire. I've checked all of the novice stuff, kick stand, kill switch, fuel is on. Nothing. I tried bump starting her in 3rd gear and itsounds likeshe wanted to fire but it's very feint and as soon as I release the starter the engine immediately stops trying to fire.

I was worried that I had a load of fuel sat in the bottom of the cylinders so I decided to do another oil change? This time I replaced the filter to get all of the old oil out, I removed the plugs and checked them, it's sparking and are even wet from the fuel vapour. Whilst I had the oil and plugs out, I turned the crank over manually to push the rest of the oil out of the pistons.

Still nothing, exactly the same. Any ideas, could this be a compression problem?

Thanks in advance.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:25 - 02 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spark?

Crashhere
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:32 - 02 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be ok. New plugs sparks ok.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 02 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your next job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLyqoMeFceg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 03 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep at it. You've got spark so there's only fuel left..

You could try and tempt it with some 'Start Ya Bastard' (or similar) - might as well check valve clearances too now you have some momentum going.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Bandit turns over, will not start. Reply with quote

Crashhere wrote:
I removed the plugs and checked them, it's sparking and are even wet from the fuel vapour.

Possibly flooded? Can take days and days to clear on its own.
Burn the plugs dry with a blowtorch (or fag lighter) and leave them out for a day or 2 to let the cylinders dry out a bit.

If it didn't do this previously, I'd be worried I'd messed something up cleaning the carbs, leading to overfueling...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Bandit turns over, will not start. Reply with quote

Crashhere wrote:
Hi guys.
I've had a bandit gsf600s in storage for around 8 years. I decided to try and get it back out on the road so I have giving it an overhaul. Initially it fired up but very rough as you can imagine. I replaced the battery and the plugs and the next day, I noticed that fuel had leaked into the oil, so I did an oil change and rebuilt the petcock and decided to clean the carbs out incase the float valves were stuck. I took the opportunity to do a full jet service and rebuild of the carbs. The bike continued to run to the point I did a full tune up on the carbs, making sure they were balanced. All good at that point (last weekend). I even rebuilt the forks and got my self a new helmet, lol!

This weekend she won't fire up........? The starter turns but will not fire. I've checked all of the novice stuff, kick stand, kill switch, fuel is on. Nothing. I tried bump starting her in 3rd gear and itsounds likeshe wanted to fire but it's very feint and as soon as I release the starter the engine immediately stops trying to fire.

I was worried that I had a load of fuel sat in the bottom of the cylinders so I decided to do another oil change? This time I replaced the filter to get all of the old oil out, I removed the plugs and checked them, it's sparking and are even wet from the fuel vapour. Whilst I had the oil and plugs out, I turned the crank over manually to push the rest of the oil out of the pistons.

Still nothing, exactly the same. Any ideas, could this be a compression problem?

Thanks in advance.

Service the carbs. I gave up riding those damn things all year round because I got tired of doing the carbs every 6-12 months (that and the coils breaking down in heavy rain). It would become more and more reluctant to start from cold until eventually it would not start at all then I would strip and clean the carbs and all would be well for another while then the cycle would repeat.

https://www.banditforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=69488.0

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:16 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 years. Any fuel in the tank will have gone off, and there's probably a fair amount of water sitting at the bottom. If you put it on reserve at any point, you'll have carbs full of rusty water, which doesn't burn.

So my preference is to drain the tank, drain the carbs, fresh fuel, charge the battery and try again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1