Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha WR250F/WR450F are they road legal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

rb3rbrtberb
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:57 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Yamaha WR250F/WR450F are they road legal? Reply with quote

Hi,

Go easy on me as I'm new to the forum and bikes Smile

I'm planning on doing my bike test so that I could ride on the road but my real interest will be using the bike for off-road and would like to go to some dirt tracks in the uk and have some fun.

I'm 38 years old now, I've never had a road going bike at all, so never concerned myself over licensing or anything like that, but when I was younger I had a YZ250 for many years and loved that bike, so basically looking to get back into it a bit, even if its at a much lower level.

I would just go buy a YZ250 and case closed, but if I'm spending that kinda money I would really like it to be more than a one trick pony where I can only put it on the back of my Hilux and drive it to places, so the WR250/450f seems like a perfect compromise specially at the level I'm going to ride it!

Also, I understand this kinda bike is not really suited to the tarmac, I get that, but there are loads of places I could ride where going across public roads would be really helpful etc, instead of chancing it.

I automatically presumed that the WR was a road going bike, but I've seen some people talk about it in a way that it doesn't come from the dealer with a V5c and that its more like it needs to be converted for road use.

Could someone give me an answer on that and what the score is etc?

Bonus questions, I presume I require a full motorcycle license to ride either of these bikes on the uk roads?

For reference I've booked my CBT + Theory test in the next few weeks.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Yamaha WR250F/WR450F are they road legal? Reply with quote

superclarkey wrote:

Bonus questions, I presume I require a full motorcycle license to ride either of these bikes on the uk roads?

Some discussion from a few years ago here - https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=262648

And yes you'll need a full motorcycle license for either. An A2 license rather than an A license might be possible for them though, if that makes any difference.

rb3rbrtberb
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:54 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Yamaha WR250F/WR450F are they road legal? Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
superclarkey wrote:

Some discussion from a few years ago here - https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=262648

And yes you'll need a full motorcycle license for either. An A2 license rather than an A license might be possible for them though, if that makes any difference.

My understanding was I might as well go for the full license, but I'm still somewhat confused on what the A1 and A2 means at my ripe age of 38.

I have seen others manage to registered older bikes, but I should have been more clear, I'm looking to buy a 2022 WR250F/450F and wanted to know if they meet uk requirements of newness or whatever they call it now.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Yamaha WR250F/WR450F are they road legal? Reply with quote

superclarkey wrote:

My understanding was I might as well go for the full license, but I'm still somewhat confused on what the A1 and A2 means at my ripe age of 38.

I have seen others manage to registered older bikes, but I should have been more clear, I'm looking to buy a 2022 WR250F/450F and wanted to know if they meet uk requirements of newness or whatever they call it now.

So A1 and A2 are power/cc limited licences for younger riders. Pretty sure you can just do a Full "A" licence at your age so just forget about them, you don't want them if you have a choice, and you do.

If you're buying a brand new one, I'm sure there are people on the forum who could tell you (I've never done it so no idea sadly), but why don't you just ring a dealer? They should have the most up to date information, and they'd be the ones giving you a V5 presumably anyway.

rb3rbrtberb
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:03 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Yamaha WR250F/WR450F are they road legal? Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
superclarkey wrote:

So A1 and A2 are power/cc limited licences for younger riders. Pretty sure you can just do a Full "A" licence at your age so just forget about them, you don't want them if you have a choice, and you do.

If you're buying a brand new one, I'm sure there are people on the forum who could tell you (I've never done it so no idea sadly), but why don't you just ring a dealer? They should have the most up to date information, and they'd be the ones giving you a V5 presumably anyway.

Thanks for the info, I'm glad I don't need to worry about A1/A2, just go for the full license etc.

I've not called them because I don't trust sales people as far as I can throw them... this is why I buy my cars online and only time I go to the dealership is to collect the car when it arrives lol

TBF I did call one place a while back to ask about a bike, because they had one listed and they started going off on a tangent asking me questions like what license do I have and when I said I don't yet, just looking at options, basically told to do my license and then come see them in person haha... so I thought I would ask on a forum instead of asking the stealers. Very Happy

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Yamaha WR250F/WR450F are they road legal? Reply with quote

superclarkey wrote:
TBF I did call one place a while back to ask about a bike, because they had one listed and they started going off on a tangent asking me questions like what license do I have

That's not an unreasonable question from them, given that a WR450 probably isn't legal on an A2 license, and neither the 250 or 450 would be legal on an A1 license.

I know what you mean about dealers (I'm not a big fan myself), but asking a load of randoms on an internet forum has to be less reliable option than say, ringing Yamaha UK direct - https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/contact/#/

rb3rbrtberb
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:21 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Yamaha WR250F/WR450F are they road legal? Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
superclarkey wrote:
TBF I did call one place a while back to ask about a bike, because they had one listed and they started going off on a tangent asking me questions like what license do I have

That's not an unreasonable question from them, given that a WR450 probably isn't legal on an A2 license, and neither the 250 or 450 would be legal on an A1 license.

I know what you mean about dealers (I'm not a big fan myself), but asking a load of randoms on an internet forum has to be less reliable option than say, ringing Yamaha UK direct - https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/contact/#/

Yeah thats perfect, I will defo give them a call and get some answers. I don't mind if its a bit of a process to make it road legal etc, just so I know it can be.

I'm just trying to add value to the purchase "in my mind" lol, if I buy a YZ250 or WR250F/WR450F they are around the same price, £8k, but I can use the WR on the road and have a little more use case out of it, specially going green lane riding etc. (just opens a few more options for no extra price).

That is the only reason I'm even wanting to take my full bike license, just so I'm legal even if its just crossing a road to another field with mates.

my license means to much to loose it, or even get points. Do it by the book or not at all.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend bought himself a new WR450F with the ally frame and almost immediately found it too much.So he took a hit and swapped it for a WR250F instead,which is a lot more amageable,except for the fuel consumption and the small petrol tank size.He returned it to the dealer numerous times as the jetting was set up for the restricted version (exhaust insert,grey wire,jet needle,air jets etc)

Another friend bought a pre-registered WR450F as they were considered outside of the emissions regs dreamt up by the eu.This bike,much like the DRZ400E & S,sold in their thousands,so are plentiful on the second hand market.

Another friend bought a second hand WR250F with a steel tube frame and found it more that adequate for what he wanted it for.

But someone else that I knew ages ago bought a WR250F with a steel tube frame,rode it once then left it at the back of his garage for well over two years.He forgot to turn the fuel tap off and the float vlave in the carb was faulty,so the contents of the petrol tank drained itself in to the cylinder,washed the oil from the bore and caused the crankshaft to seize.There was not much that could be done with the bike except to scrap it.

Always have a 'Plan B'

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 20 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
A friend bought himself a new WR450F with the ally frame and almost immediately found it too much.So he took a hit and swapped it for a WR250F instead,which is a lot more amageable,except for the fuel consumption and the small petrol tank size.He returned it to the dealer numerous times as the jetting was set up for the restricted version (exhaust insert,grey wire,jet needle,air jets etc)

Another friend bought a pre-registered WR450F as they were considered outside of the emissions regs dreamt up by the eu.This bike,much like the DRZ400E & S,sold in their thousands,so are plentiful on the second hand market.

Another friend bought a second hand WR250F with a steel tube frame and found it more that adequate for what he wanted it for.

But someone else that I knew ages ago bought a WR250F with a steel tube frame,rode it once then left it at the back of his garage for well over two years.He forgot to turn the fuel tap off and the float vlave in the carb was faulty,so the contents of the petrol tank drained itself in to the cylinder,washed the oil from the bore and caused the crankshaft to seize.There was not much that could be done with the bike except to scrap it.

..so many friends. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 21 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:
A friend

Another friend

Another friend

But someone else.

..so many friends. Wink

You meet the nicest people on a Yamaha..... Thumbs Up Wink

Always have a 'Plan B'

F0ulOli
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:15 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't ridden in a long time and are not legal anyway, I'd go for the 250 as its lighter and far more controllable.
The way to make it road legal involves adding a horn and calling it an enduro and is quite easy on a new vehicle.
However, this advice comes from someone who did road riding legally for years before venturing off road, so my expectations might be different to yours.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 121 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1