Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My first time redlining a litre bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

buddy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:40 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: My first time redlining a litre bike Reply with quote

Ive had it on the road a few weeks. Its an 06 r1 and ho, lee, fvck!
I have to hang on for dear life, i dont even wanna take my fingers off the bar to pull in the clutch.
Im no stranger to clutchless shifting, but this is my first nice bike. I wanted to be sympathetic to it.

Does anybody use the clutch when pinning it on a litre bike? I cant see how you would.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine it's pretty rapid; I had a similar reaction the first time I pinned my VFR (having come from 50-odd bhp bikes) and that's 60bhp down and 70kg up on the R1.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:56 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutchless shifting is fine as long as you've got the technique down.

I think you'll find that even though the G forces of accelerating a litre bike are great, they aren't great enough for you to stop your fingers from moving. It's more likely muscle tension to be honest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:59 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the sound of it, the suction generated by your tightly cletched sphincter should be more than sufficient to keep you held firmly to the seat.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:14 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1?

Thinking

If it was a 98 R1 then a slight twist of the throttle would alter your speed as required?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time on a 600: Fuck this fast compared to my 125
First time on a litre after being happy thrashing a 600: faaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk this is fast

Laughing

Quote:
Does anybody use the clutch when pinning it on a litre bike? I cant see how you would

Sure.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or as a guy I know described the intercom from his son-in-law when he gave him a go on his new Kawasaki Z H2 -

"Oh wow.... Fucking hell.... Fucking HELL..... FUCKING HELL!"

He says that he'd never heard his straight-laced son-in-law swear before ever. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:31 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not death-gripping the bars. Take your weight through your feet and arse. Handlebars are for steering with, not hanging onto.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never use the clutch on mine when pinning it, slight back off and snick it up a gear. After all its what modern quickshifters do.
I also dont always use the clutch changing down, got a Dave blipper in my right hand.
Have you taken it to the redline in 3 consecutive gears yet on the road?
Takes a bit of working up to but it does make you smile lol

OGR

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 10 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
By the sound of it, the suction generated by your tightly cletched sphincter should be more than sufficient to keep you held firmly to the seat.

Coffee snorted now thanks Laughing

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:47 - 10 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will adjust to it. Most of your time will be spent short shifting through the gears quickly with partial throttle so you will shift clutch-less. You will still be going way above the speed limit in no time doing this.

Barely ever use the clutch on up shifts.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:13 - 10 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get it every time I give the 748 some stick, but then I am not a riding god (anymore Very Happy)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:27 - 11 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
Or as a guy I know described the intercom from his son-in-law when he gave him a go on his new Kawasaki Z H2 -

"Oh wow.... Fucking hell.... Fucking HELL..... FUCKING HELL!"

He says that he'd never heard his straight-laced son-in-law swear before ever. Laughing

That was pretty much James Hillier when he got off the 'test' one at the 2015 TT. Most of his radio interview was unbroadcastable in between the cussing and maniacal laughter. IIRC he got somewhere over 200mph on the Sulby Straight on what was essentially a retail bike.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 11:01 - 11 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my bikes have quickshifters & autoblippers. The clutch is just for pulling off (or pulling wheelies).

Just had my M1000RR at Snett yesterday and can't imagine that I'd have the reflexes to shift with a clutch on those straights!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1