Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The all new Zero SR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: The all new Zero SR Reply with quote

Well, that's what they say, I don't know if it's all new but anyway...

Top speed 104mph. Torque 166NM. Charging time 78 minutes with rapid charger upgrade. Range 227miles with power tank and some cypher upgrade Thinking .

OK that isn't bad specs but, with those upgrades it's...... wait for it......

£24000 approx.

Also theres a caveat in there if you dig a bit. You can't get the charging time without the charger upgrade and you can't get the range without the power tank but you can't use both as they take up the same space.

Anyway, that's GoldWing money. Just mad for a bike that can just break the 100mph barrier.

And it only comes in grey.

https://d29sx7s964xey6.cloudfront.net/185e70f4-2b56-40cd-bcb5-b398aef64755_00+MY22SR+Graphite.png?auto=compress,format&w=1920&h=1080&fit=clamp

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/en-gb/model/zero-sr?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiY-xydLF9wIVWdftCh3EUAJjEAEYASAAEgJTrvD_BwE

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only positive note I can sound is that getting to the 104mph top speed would be pretty rapid.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking at those yesterday. Agreed that I found it a bit daft it's range OR fast charging, not both... Having said that, for the majority of my riding lately, I'd be happy with either.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

222kg* though, for an effective middleweight naked, thats pretty lardy

For comparison, a Street Triple R is 182kg (wet)

*I'm guessing that is without the range extender or fast charger too, so likely even more

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 12:42 - 04 May 2022; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Was looking at those yesterday. Agreed that I found it a bit daft it's range OR fast charging, not both... Having said that, for the majority of my riding lately, I'd be happy with either.

Oh, I agree, and if it was say £8000 I might be interested. That is the retail price of a Suzy GSX-S750 which, other than top speed, I'm presuming is an equivalent sort of bike.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in the future but right now I couldn't face an electric bike. The engine noise and exhaust note is part of the reason why I love bikes. £24,000 is crazy money. Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:16 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Key software upgrades available in the Cypher Store will unlock up to 17.3 kWh of battery capacity"

"122 ft-lbs of torque, 73 hp, and 104mph, but when paired with available on-demand upgrades through the Cypher Store, those numbers soar to 140 ft-lbs of torque and 110 hp, effortlessly propelling the SR to a top speed of 124 mph"

"The all-new SR comes with 3 kW of charging but that can be increased by 10% with the tap of a finger through purchasing on-demand upgrade in the Cypher Store"

https://i.imgur.com/f1sVYHJ.png

Those are some reasonably priced software upgrades that no one would begrudge paying for. Laughing

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the £20k gets you a cripple hammered version they deliberately made worse so they could get an extra five grand from most customers to *fix it*. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 06:35 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the off chance you ever want to charge the bike, it'll cost you an extra £445 for a UK wall outlet adapter.

https://i.imgur.com/oxZfWrX.png

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

£160 for Parking Mode which lets you creep forward or back into tight or inclined parking spots. I guess an electric motor is on-off/all or nothing in such situations. The odd thing is the facility is already in the bike, you’re just compelled to pay to unlock it. It’s the old in-app purchases con.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
So the £20k gets you a cripple hammered version they deliberately made worse so they could get an extra five grand from most customers to *fix it*. Laughing

It's the Tesla model which in turn is just what IBM used to do with their mainframes. "Oh you want to increase the processor speed?" Engineer opens panel and snips wire link. "That'll be 10 bags please."

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
internal permanent magnet brushless architecture and a passively air-cooled compact design creates class-leading performance and efficiency

It's an air cooled motor then. More noisy and less efficient than a liquid cooled motor.

I was building those type of motors (brushless PM 3 phase DC) in 1987.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:46 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the most underrated accessory you're going to need for these Zero's is the parking brake kit. £300 to stop £20k+ of bike from rolling away when you park up on a bit of a hill... Confused

Either that or be a cheap skate and carry a pair of chocks with you!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:36 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking brake? I'm somewhat belieldered that my bike doesn't roll away when I park it on a hill because it doesn't have a parking brake....

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

a small piece/block of wood will do
or a stick through the wheel
even luxury versions (i.e. clean) of these two object can be obtained for less than £300
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leave in gear like normal people... Wait...

Other option is just lay it on its side. Not like any petrol or oil is gonna spill.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not a parking brake, it’s a forward and reverse crawl mode for tight spots.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 227 "city" miles not real miles if you read the fine print Laughing On highway it's 139 miles at just 55 mph.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

its seems like Zero dont want girlies riding their bikes.
now im tempted to buy one Laughing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ9C-OVbhxo

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
its seems like Zero dont want girlies riding their bikes.
now im tempted to buy one Laughing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ9C-OVbhxo

Little bit over-sensitive. She arrived on pillion and he filled out the form(s) so maybe the mistake was understandable.

I liked her response to, “Do you wanna go again?”
“No. You only need to ride the teacups once.” Laughing

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Little bit over-sensitive. She arrived on pillion and he filled out the form(s) so maybe the mistake was understandable.

I liked her response to, “Do you wanna go again?”
“No. You only need to ride the teacups once.” Laughing

theyre American, of course they are over sensitive Very Happy

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:40 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling Zero may have dropped the ball here. Livewire, the electric bike sub-brand of Harley, are announcing one or two new models tomorrow. Best guesses are for something fairly similar to a zero in terms of size/weight/power, likely better styled, and should be significantly cheaper. Their flagship bike - the original electric Harley from a couple of years ago - is $22k, so already cheaper than the Zero.

However, the fact that we still don't have an electric bike from any of the major manufacturers tells me that the technology isn't there, even for people like me who would put up with a lot of shit to have a 50hp electric bike.

Or it could just be that there are enough buyers willing to drop ~£20k on an electric bike to justify their limited production runs and high prices, but the numbers don't make sense offering something at ~£10k.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 10 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of sub 10k electric motorbikes... unfortunately it's shite Chinese offerings fit only for the deliveroo crowd Sad

Maybe that's the only hope: that the bottom end of the market moves upwards as the top end steadfastly refuses to move down Thinking

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 10 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Plenty of sub 10k electric motorbikes... unfortunately it's shite Chinese offerings fit only for the deliveroo crowd Sad

Maybe that's the only hope: that the bottom end of the market moves upwards as the top end steadfastly refuses to move down Thinking

What exactly is there at the bottom end of the market that is even remotly any good. I've seen a few Lambretta type clones but they have a top speed of 30 and the range of a three legged dog. Not much better than a cripple cart FFS.

As Robby says, if it was finacially and practically viable, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki would be all over this but they aren't.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:40 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Livewire are going to be selling some bikes. Their new model is now announced. 80hp, 100 miles city range, 200kg, about £12k.

The initial run of 100 bikes priced at ~£14k sold out instantly.

This may provoke some of the other big manufacturers into making something that looks and rides like a proper motorcycle in the £8-15k space.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1