Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Benly 125 T - CD125T

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Littleladydre...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:09 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Benly engine bits Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Littleladydreamer wrote:
I've cleaned the car ..

yeah I often do that when I'm trying to figure out what real job to do next. Wink

Lol I meant carbs although my car definitely needs a clean too

Littleladydre...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:12 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Littleladydreamer wrote:
I can't seem to put photos up. Any help would be appreciated

i use imgur.com, its a free site. upload an image there, then copy/paste the BBcode here.

Thanks I will try it. I may be on a probationary period though.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was started in 2009
You'd be better of starting a new fresh one
based on your own bike

with pics of course

Littleladydre...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:53 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if this works

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:35 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: stuff Reply with quote

Sounds like you're probably OK, but I do have some things you might be interested in at a later time.

I've been experimenting with these Honda twin and clone engines for a little while and I have to say they are fun to mess about with. A real tinkerer's dream. To be honest there's not much difference between any of them from 125 to 250 and whatever in between. They're basically all the same engine with minor differences.

The original Benly twin engine seems to have been meddled about with by Honda over the years to transform from 125 to 185, 200 and finally into a 250 using much the same parts. A lot of engine bits will fit, or can be made to fit, over any of the size range, so in effect a Honda CD250U is basically still just a Benly 125 with a few modifications.

I don't know when Honda quit making the Benly style twins, but then China started cloning them and in my experience the Chinese clones are internally just as good as what Honda ever made. The cases and other external bits look less well finished but as far as I can tell the Chinese gearboxes and cranks and that sort of internal stuff are every bit as good as what Honda made and they fit straight in. Much cheaper to get too!

Seems like engine mount holes and cylinder stud spacing stayed the same across all the engine sized so there's a lot of scope for mix and match fun with minor modifications. I currently use the 250 engines with 125 heads and other little tweaks but Benly purists wouldn't like it because it doesn't look exactly right.

Since so much of the Benly and clone engines are the same you can do fun things with them. For instance I once cobbled a five speed gearbox into a Benly CD200, which had a four speed gearbox originally and it didn't take that much doing. I think I had to have a small adapter or something made at the machine shop down the road but it wasn't expensive and I ended up with a five speed CD200 engine which looked exactly original. A bloke bought it off me for his own CD200 build. He wanted everything to look original but was going to upgrade the electrics to 12v and liked the five speed gearbox idea.

Benly's had 6v points ignition but the 12v alternator and electronic ignition from a Jinlun or similar Chinese Benly clone engine will bolt right on, which is what I use and it's great.

I even modified a 125 twin into a 202cc which went like stink and fits straight into any bike that uses a Honda twin Benly style engine. I was going to get a little Benly 125 to put it in so I could annoy the folks on their bog standard Benly rebuilds but now vintage Benly's are too pricey for me to have fun with so now it's just a spare engine if I ever need it, which I won't because I've already got three other perfectly good modified 250 engines at the moment for my one bike.

If you were doing any minor engine work yourself I have about tree sets of barrels in good condition that might be useful, and a brand new pair of 150 pistons that I was going to rebore one of the barrels for but just haven't got round to it. I've got too many engines now so I lost interest in the 150 conversion but you could do that to your own bike for a bit more poke and it would still look original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Littleladydre...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:52 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: stuff Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
Sounds like you're probably OK, but I do have some things you might be interested in at a later time.

I've been experimenting with these Honda twin and clone engines for a little while and I have to say they are fun to mess about with. A real tinkerer's dream. To be honest there's not much difference between any of them from 125 to 250 and whatever in between. They're basically all the same engine with minor differences.

The original Benly twin engine seems to have been meddled about with by Honda over the years to transform from 125 to 185, 200 and finally into a 250 using much the same parts. A lot of engine bits will fit, or can be made to fit, over any of the size range, so in effect a Honda CD250U is basically still just a Benly 125 with a few modifications.

I don't know when Honda quit making the Benly style twins, but then China started cloning them and in my experience the Chinese clones are internally just as good as what Honda ever made. The cases and other external bits look less well finished but as far as I can tell the Chinese gearboxes and cranks and that sort of internal stuff are every bit as good as what Honda made and they fit straight in. Much cheaper to get too!

Seems like engine mount holes and cylinder stud spacing stayed the same across all the engine sized so there's a lot of scope for mix and match fun with minor modifications. I currently use the 250 engines with 125 heads and other little tweaks but Benly purists wouldn't like it because it doesn't look exactly right.

Since so much of the Benly and clone engines are the same you can do fun things with them. For instance I once cobbled a five speed gearbox into a Benly CD200, which had a four speed gearbox originally and it didn't take that much doing. I think I had to have a small adapter or something made at the machine shop down the road but it wasn't expensive and I ended up with a five speed CD200 engine which looked exactly original. A bloke bought it off me for his own CD200 build. He wanted everything to look original but was going to upgrade the electrics to 12v and liked the five speed gearbox idea.

Benly's had 6v points ignition but the 12v alternator and electronic ignition from a Jinlun or similar Chinese Benly clone engine will bolt right on, which is what I use and it's great.

I even modified a 125 twin into a 202cc which went like stink and fits straight into any bike that uses a Honda twin Benly style engine. I was going to get a little Benly 125 to put it in so I could annoy the folks on their bog standard Benly rebuilds but now vintage Benly's are too pricey for me to have fun with so now it's just a spare engine if I ever need it, which I won't because I've already got three other perfectly good modified 250 engines at the moment for my one bike.

If you were doing any minor engine work yourself I have about tree sets of barrels in good condition that might be useful, and a brand new pair of 150 pistons that I was going to rebore one of the barrels for but just haven't got round to it. I've got too many engines now so I lost interest in the 150 conversion but you could do that to your own bike for a bit more poke and it would still look original.

Hi thank you for the very detailed reply. I think I will have to read it over and over to take everything in... It's good to know that other parts will fit. I have researched a bit and thought they would so it's nice to have confirmation.
I want to make it as light, narrow and short in height has possible. As I'm only 4ft 11 and 6 and a bit stone.
I'm going to be taking the engine out soon ( with help) then started work on the frame, sanding it down and making adjustments to fit a narrow seat...

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:52 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your engine was fine to begin with it'll probably last pretty well. These engines are wonderfully simple which means there's less to go wrong with them so they do plod on forever. Just keep the oil clean.

If you do ever need to find bits all I can say is that in my experience internally the Chinese stuff like for instance a Jinlun JL125 engine is exactly the same as the CB125/Benly Honda stuff was and in my experience everything Chinese fits straight into Honda engine cases. When I first started playing about with these engines most people assured me that the Chinese stuff was totally different and was made of crap and wouldn't work but after getting stuck in to several Honda and Chinese engines I can say they are virtually identical and everything interchanges.

All my current engines are mixtures of Honda and Chinese parts and they work great, it's just that the Chinese parts are significantly easier and cheaper to get than looking for "vintage" second hand (knackered) Honda Benly engine bits. However, the bearings in Chinese engines are usually pretty dreadful as is the build quality of the rolling chassis itself. Chinese bikes are rust buckets but the engine internals are perfectly fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Littleladydre...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:47 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
If your engine was fine to begin with it'll probably last pretty well. These engines are wonderfully simple which means there's less to go wrong with them so they do plod on forever. Just keep the oil clean.

If you do ever need to find bits all I can say is that in my experience internally the Chinese stuff like for instance a Jinlun JL125 engine is exactly the same as the CB125/Benly Honda stuff was and in my experience everything Chinese fits straight into Honda engine cases. When I first started playing about with these engines most people assured me that the Chinese stuff was totally different and was made of crap and wouldn't work but after getting stuck in to several Honda and Chinese engines I can say they are virtually identical and everything interchanges.

All my current engines are mixtures of Honda and Chinese parts and they work great, it's just that the Chinese parts are significantly easier and cheaper to get than looking for "vintage" second hand (knackered) Honda Benly engine bits. However, the bearings in Chinese engines are usually pretty dreadful as is the build quality of the rolling chassis itself. Chinese bikes are rust buckets but the engine internals are perfectly fine.

Hi that's good to know. I'm very much a vintage girl not wanting to replace with Chinese rubbish without even knowing if it is rubbish it's just the principal !! Or my ignorance I'm not sure. However if something has to be changed I'm grateful for your detailed information again, and would consider Chinese engine parts if needed.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 03:22 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, Chinky bike shite was really rubbish at first but it got better because modern manufacturing techniques of current Chinese parts is as good as what Japan was doing back in the 1980's when they were making these engines. From what I have found out Japan sold the tooling for their obsolete models to various Chinese manufacturers when they stopped production so basically they were still Japanese Hondas just made in China without the Honda name name attached to them. Even the early Honda Rebels used Chinese made engines.

The main difference is that for instance you can buy a brand new gearbox for a "Quadzilla" 250 (or any of the other names that use a 250 twin of Benly design) and it's exactly like the gearbox for an old Honda CD250U, but you will not find a new gearbox for the Honda because they stopped making them ages ago and sold the tooling and leftover stock to China so whatever "vintage" Honda gearbox you could find would be second hand and probably knackered whereas the Chinese gearbox was made last Thursday and is brand new at a fraction of the price.

It's these sort of considerations that led me to start playing about with these engines. I wanted cheap and dependable, like old Benly stuff, but I didn't want to pay "vintage" prices for knackered obsolete old shit when I could get the same shit new at half the price. So far it's worked out pretty well but you have to know what's what. Not everything Chinese is as good.

For instance I wouldn't rate Chinese clone carbs very well compared to the proper old Honda ones and things like that. But my experiences with things like gearboxes and other internal stuff has shown that the Chinese parts are every bit as good as what Honda was doing when they stopped making these engines way back when. The ideal Benly engine is old Honda engine cases and heads with brand new Chinese guts.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 226 days between these two posts...

bezzabsa
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:56 - 11 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit of a dig up of an old thread... BUT , those AJS 125 twins, are they the benley type engine?? seem to be a load 'spares or repair' on good old ebay..did see a post somewhere of someone throwing a gs500 (i think) into one..

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda CM125 derived according to this report..

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/ajs/ajs-highway-star-125-2020-review

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2