Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK/Union flag sticker for reg plate

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: UK/Union flag sticker for reg plate Reply with quote

So thanks to Brexit the EU starry circle and GB label on my number plate will no longer cut the mustard on my Spanish tour this summer. Has anyone found a suitably sized UK sticker that will cover it?

Ideally I need something about 32x73 mm to cover the old (very normal sized) badge; everything I can find online is way smaller than that, weirdly. eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B099ZYRV4G?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 14 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS....

Buy a new plate. Laughing

(With the current flag or woteva)

https://www.qualitynumberplates.com/?https://www.qualitynumberplates.com/&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpv2TBhDoARIsALBnVnmv2qVfXb6bPDnbIVZ0KYPBsNvzP3ncO0ixiGZQO2dO-KF2lTbDt4oaAgXeEALw_wcB

iansoady
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:26 - 15 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's no good due to the idiots it now has to say UK not GB. You can get stickers from ebay for a couple of quid which work perfectly well.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:08 - 15 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have any sort and size of sticker you want made up for next to nothing. Have a sheet printed, flog the rest on ebay for £1.99 + postage. I had some smaller oval ones made up for our group when we went on a Euro tour last year because the "official" sized ones are so big there was nowhere big enough to stick it on my bike.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 15 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone has actually been done for having GB, I never used to bother but had a GB sticker stashed to apply if challenged *forgot Monsieur* - mainly because it was to big really and plates didn't have them in those days
No one was bothered and gendarmes were stopping everyone one place, but etrangers were just waved through.
In France GB = Grande Bretagne makes more sense than UK = Royaume Uni
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:45 - 15 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just them being difficult for the sake of being difficult. Cattle ear tags all start in UK and now, when they are being exported, they make you change them for GB ones...

So it appears the EU can change regulations at the drop of a hat if it suits them to.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's just them being difficult for the sake of being difficult. Cattle ear tags all start in UK and now, when they are being exported, they make you change them for GB ones...

So it appears the EU can change regulations at the drop of a hat if it suits them to.

The EU being difficult ? Really? Well I never!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JBM
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:14 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I’m going abroad in a month or so I’ve just bought a UK plate to replace my GB plate.

Although the number plate thing just bureaucracy at work, geographically and politically, UK actually makes more sense than GB also which includes Eire.

Is the IoM in the UK proper?

Last edited by JBM on 11:19 - 31 May 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JBM
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:17 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBM wrote:
Is the IoM in the UK proper?

This is what Wikipedia is for innit…

The Isle of Man is not, and never has been, part of the United Kingdom, nor is it part of the European Union. It is not represented at Westminster or in Brussels. The Island is a self-governing British Crown Dependency - as are Jersey and Guernsey in the Channel Islands - with its own parliament, government and laws.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBM wrote:
UK actually makes more sense than GB also which includes Eire.

Yes it does, but no it doesn’t. Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland… the “mainland”. UK is short for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Éire is a completely different country - the geographical term that includes Ireland with the UK is the British Isles, but that has no political meaning.

JBM
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:19 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
JBM wrote:
UK actually makes more sense than GB also which includes Eire.

Yes it does, but no it doesn’t. Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland… the “mainland”. UK is short for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Éire is a completely different country - the geographical term that includes Ireland with the UK is the British Isles, but that has no political meaning.

You’re right - Great Britain is the largest island in the British Isles, therefore excluding Northern Ireland. Laughing

I’m right - United Kingdom includes Northern Island, therefore UK is more appropriate than GB. Laughing

I love it when everyone’s right!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBM wrote:
I’m right - United Kingdom includes Northern Island, therefore UK is more appropriate than GB. Laughing

I love it when everyone’s right!

You used the word "Éire" though, which refers specifically the Republic of Ireland and is nothing to do with the UK or GB as it is an independent sovereign nation (since the IRA won the 1919 War of Independence) as well as a Member State of the European Union.

flimbar
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:39 - 12 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBM wrote:

You’re right - Great Britain is the largest island in the British Isles, therefore excluding Northern Ireland. Laughing

Although athletes from Northern Ireland compete for Team GB at the Olympics, I wonder if it will change to Team UK next time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1