Looking at going Tesla

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic : View next topic  

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
My mate has got one. He's a real petrolhead got 3 vehicles with nitrous on them but he loves it.
It confuses me too, I spent nearly 10 years in the car game loving every show and unusual engine swap I could find, but the electric difference is undeniable.
The acceleration for the cost?

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Only reason I ask is because I would want to stay away from any that will be 10 years old or older while you’re still on the hook with finance as that’s the age the batteries are roughly going dead at.
Actually maybe not.
Anyone with either access to real cash or highly motivated to make a quick fortune could easily turn this scenario into a big investment.

There are alot of electric vehicles aging, unlike ICE cars you can't get a backstreet garage to throw a new gasket on or clutch in for £300.
You have to replace the whole fucking car.

However, source a new replacement battery pack and learn to swap them yourself or a mate learns? The cars value won't be essentially scrap it will be a third less than the brand new one.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I mean personally, I'd be spend half that deposit on buying a second hand car outright, putting the balance towards a considerable amount of petrol, and saving myself £402/month; but that's just me
Think you're missing the point here that we're very slowly burning alive the planet and most of the life on it.

Saving yourself £400 a month now is brilliant when you can splash out on a takeaway at the end of the month but doesn't help todays toddlers in 50 years does it? Rolling Eyes

Kickstart wrote:
even assuming the cells are available when the car is a decade old (try finding NiCads these days), when the cells are all potted together in a battery pack this is pretty much impossible.

Suspect at some point I won't have a choice though.

All the best

Katy
I suspect that places will popup to deal with exactly this, and if we're lucky, like with car dealerships, there will be regional or bulk national chains of repair centres who do just swaps and fix dud cells.

There has to be a compromise of some sort, manufacturers won't have the resources to micro manage the whole process while innovating and pushing along improvements in the tech.

panrider_uk wrote:
There's no way your 10 year old diesel Jag hasn't needed EGR valves done or DPF cleaned/ replaced. Also the diodes on the Ford-era Jaguar alternators may as well be made of wet paper, you must have had an alternator change in there too.

My Jaguar XF was a lovely big motor, it was far more comfortable than the 2004 BMW 750iL (E66) that it replaced and was very nice to drive, but it was a finnicky cunt when it came to the engine. Cost me many thousands over the years in replacing EGRs alone (twice on both banks).

Err... my 14 year old, 173k mile citroen diesel has had none of those things done.
New timing belt, discs, steering rack, suspension bits and a window mech. Not too bad considering its age and the state of the roads - just mainly wear and tear due to the mileage.
Now we are talking rubbish Laughing I've had 7 cit's/pugs altogether and my old man probably double, he had a long phase of half a dozen XM/xantia's then french MPVs now vans which shared engine parts, I know how temporary most of those mechanical bits are by design.
You must be the only lucky Citroen owner in the country. Laughing

I don't know any reputable leasing companies, I can only go by what people I know have told me and it's generally not great feedback.
I worked at Enterprise for 2 years, there's none that are reputable in a pro-customer way; yeah they're polite and friendly but none are in the game to be put out. It's make money or go bust.

We used to have a laminated hard paper card the size of a £5 note, at the end of every lease when the appraisal came, we walked around the car or van with this guide and used it to size up scuffs, dents, chips scratches.. any that fit within certain highlighted measurements were ignored, say a £2 coin size for a scratch; outside of that and the damage was bigger? And if you didn't take out the additional insurance they always screw you on?

Hundreds. Cost you hundreds. Suddenly a £150 weekend Ford Fiesta is a £700 debit on your card before you leave the building.

The one thing about Tesla's for me is they seem to be the new Evoque, 90% of the them I come across the driver is a self entitled asshole.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
The one thing about Tesla's for me is they seem to be the new Evoque, 90% of the them I come across the driver is a self entitled asshole.

Crying or Very sad you gonna do me like that bro Crying or Very sad

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 17 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing you might be in the good 10%? Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 17 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work are just starting to think about charging for… charging. It’s been free in the multi-storey for several years but more EV’s are turning up. Free ‘leccy at work was actually the only reason I’d (briefly) consider getting an EV. Those days are over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Work are just starting to think about charging for… charging. It’s been free in the multi-storey for several years but more EV’s are turning up. Free ‘leccy at work was actually the only reason I’d (briefly) consider getting an EV. Those days are over.

I currently use the ChargePlace Scotland fast chargers to charge mine out and about and it's pretty good. Until the wall charger I bought gets installed at my work, I'm going to have to keep using the CPS ones but luckily they are completely free and charge at 50kW.

I hope that goes on for a while still as it's a great scheme.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 26 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember who else in here has a Model 3 but if you read this, there's an outstanding recall on all 2021-onwards Model 3's and Model Y's.

There's a problem with the insulation around one of the heat-pump pipes that causes mist to leak out sometimes when supercharging the vehicle.

It's happened to me and I nearly shit my pants the first time as I thought the thing was catching fire, got out the car and checked and it's a cold mist that comes out from under the car at the front left wheel.

The recall and fix is "install supermanifold to compressor pipe, insulation foam and harness connector cover".

MotorbikerTom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:31 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember who else in here has a Model 3 but if you read this, there's an outstanding recall on all 2021-onwards Model 3's and Model Y's.

There's a problem with the insulation around one of the heat-pump pipes that causes mist to leak out sometimes when supercharging the vehicle.

It's happened to me and I nearly shit my pants the first time as I thought the thing was catching fire, got out the car and checked and it's a cold mist that comes out from under the car at the front left wheel.

The recall and fix is "install supermanifold to compressor pipe, insulation foam and harness connector cover".

Nice one dude, yes had this done on mine by a Ranger and saw what they did. Simple recall to resolve brown pants moments Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised by an electric unicycle on Friday, I’d never seen one before and didn’t even know such things existed. The chap was wearing a full-face helmet and doing about 30mph along roads, pavements and cycle lanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNnZS-zkr44
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I was surprised by an electric unicycle on Friday, I’d never seen one before and didn’t even know such things existed. The chap was wearing a full-face helmet and doing about 30mph along roads, pavements and cycle lanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNnZS-zkr44

I seen a post on 9gag of a guy in London on one going fast as fuck. I put them in the same category as e-scoots and e-bicycles where I would ban them from sale until people can get (and provide) insurance for them.

I know I am in a minority opinion but I have literally seen a guy on his e-scoot take the wing mirror off a parked Audi here in Glasgow, get up and then fuck off again without leaving a note or giving a single fuck.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put them in the same category as e-scoots and e-bicycles where I would ban them from sale until people can get (and provide) insurance for them.
The thing that makes me laugh about this completely redundant argument, is millions of drivers use their cars without insurance.

They choose to drive uninsured, often don't have an accident or get caught.
Explain to me how ebikes being insured would change anything or be any better enforced?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
The thing that makes me laugh about this completely redundant argument, is millions of drivers use their cars without insurance.

Explain to me how ebikes being insured would change anything or be any better enforced?

Only about 4% of car drivers are uninsured, whereas 100% of e-scoot riders are uninsured. That fucking simple mate. Who's argument is redundant now?

Source:

https://forcescompare.uk/guides/how-many-drivers-are-not-insured-in-the-uk/#:~:text=It%20is%20estimated%20that%20there,the%20country%20are%20driving%20illegally.

Source cites figures obtained from Motor Insurance Database.

EDIT:

Forcing compulsory insurance on e-scooters would mean it's significantly more likely that people like this little girl would have insurance covering bills arising to/ compensation for her life-altering injuries:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/21/three-year-old-girl-left-with-life-changing-injuries-after-being-hit-by-e-scooter-in-london

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 15:06 - 30 May 2022; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:06 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
I put them in the same category as e-scoots and e-bicycles where I would ban them from sale until people can get (and provide) insurance for them.

You can get in trouble without insurance. If you hit someone with no insurance, you fucked.

His point is they SHOULD licence them. I agree. I can't get one now as it puts my actual licence at risk. But insure it/make it a requirement to have some form of safety net aka tax, then sure I'd be game for one.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only about 4% of car drivers are uninsured, whereas 100% of e-scoot riders are uninsured. That fucking simple mate. Who's argument is redundant now?
Yours, still.

Compare registered vehicles (in the 10s of millions) to eScooters purchased, probably touching tens of thousands?

1,280,000. nearly 1.3m cars are uninsured today, Vs a few thousand eScooters. If 1.3m cars aren't policed to prevent that many, how do you expect scoots to be? There is no deterrent. Your "100% of scoots are uninsured" is still a fraction of the registered cars number.

I know Paddy, but there's a disconnect from your surroundings in a vehicle that you don't get on a bike or scoot. That to me makes them safer, you feel less invincible and more cautious.

I cannot see how a mandatory insurance law on scoots will be any different than one that's widely ignored for cars.

Last edited by st3v3 on 15:37 - 30 May 2022; edited 1 time in total

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
Yours, still.

I guess we will never see eye-to-eye on this. I think everyone riding around on these things without insurance is an absolute cunt the same as I think everyone driving a car without insurance is an absolute cunt.

Also, much more of them than you think. Article states 100,000 e-bikes sold in one year alone. That was two years ago. Going to be at least a quarter of a million of them since 2020 to present. Actual figure is going to be much more as it doesn't include sales before 2020.

It's probably not that long before there's a 1,000,000 uninsured e-bikes, e-scooters, unicycles, etc to match the 1,000,000 uninsured cars on the road. Unlike uninsured e-bikes/scoots the number of uninsured car drivers is decreasing.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/08/electric-bike-and-scooter-sales-boom-pushes-halford-back-to-growth-covid-19

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
Yours, still.

I guess we will never see eye-to-eye on this. I think everyone riding around on these things without insurance is an absolute cunt the same as I think everyone driving a car without insurance is an absolute cunt.
Probably not but that's okay. I completely agree that anyone not covering themselves against human error is an idiot but that's not the point i'm making.

My point is, why should insurance be compulsory on 1 thing when it isn't enforced on another? Cars cause more damage, that's just a fact.
If people are happy to jump in a car and go without checking or knowing they aren't insured, and often get away with it - what is the progress or point in applying that to more forms of transport which will be equally ignored?

It's more red tape and paperwork for the sake of it.
Without serious enforcement to deter the law-breaking, it's pointless t bring it in and probably why they aren't legal.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
My point is, why should insurance be compulsory on 1 thing when it isn't enforced on another? Cars cause more damage, that's just a fact.
If people are happy to jump in a car and go without checking or knowing they aren't insured, and often get away with it - what is the progress or point in applying that to more forms of transport which will be equally ignored?

It's more red tape and paperwork for the sake of it.
Without serious enforcement to deter the law-breaking, it's pointless t bring it in and probably why they aren't legal.

I am happy to admit that I am in a minority, but I think that every mode of transport that's not you walking or running should require compulsory insurance whether it's on a pedal bike, an e-scoot or a car.

I think that e-scooters and other very small-form personal transport is actually the future of commuting as it's fast, it's cheap and it gets you places. I just want to see it controlled the way most other forms of powered transport are controlled.

I wouldn't even introduce licensing, probably a CBT style arrangement instead where you re-do it every X years. Get registration (like a drone) and get insurance.

If you need a CBT to ride a 50cc/ 125cc motorbike you should need a CBT to ride an e-scooter or e-bike that can be much faster than them.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:03 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but you also think fucking a 16 year old is paedophilia.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:55 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forcing compulsory insurance on e-scooters would mean it's significantly more likely that people like this little girl would have insurance covering bills arising to/ compensation for her life-altering injuries:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/21/three-year-old-girl-left-with-life-changing-injuries-after-being-hit-by-e-scooter-in-london

Motor Insurers Bureau will pay out.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Yes, but you also think fucking a 16 year old is paedophilia.

I don't think it's paedophilia, I just think it's not right. When you are a grown ass man sitting there while your misses is doing her homework it just isn't right in my opinion, it's not illegal either but just doesn't feel like it's right.

Again, maybe it's just me but I honestly don't see how I can identify with the thoughts and conversation of a school kid at all.

Ste wrote:
Motor Insurers Bureau will pay out.

On e-scooter claims too? If it's true then I am at least glad there's a safety net.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to admit that I am in a minority, but I think that every mode of transport that's not you walking or running should require compulsory insurance whether it's on a pedal bike, an e-scoot or a car.

I think that e-scooters and other very small-form personal transport is actually the future of commuting as it's fast, it's cheap and it gets you places. I just want to see it controlled the way most other forms of powered transport are controlled.

Skateboards? Rollerblades?

C'mon Laughing

That's my point, it isn't controlled. If it were controlled then nobody would think twice about even getting in their uninsured car to pop down the shops.

https://twitter.com/adorey_stephen/status/1531332173537615874?t=1-vESpv5Cpnqu2PHZdZCog&s=19 tell me more about ebikes and escoots causing serious damage?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:19 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:

https://twitter.com/adorey_stephen/status/1531332173537615874?t=1-vESpv5Cpnqu2PHZdZCog&s=19 tell me more about ebikes and escoots causing serious damage?

Thats a bit like saying cars aren't dangerous in the wrong circumstances because trucks can do more damage.

There are examples of people dying and being seriously injured by e scoots.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
tell me more about ebikes and escoots causing serious damage?

So, because e-scoots and e-bikes don't do as much physical and and collateral damage as a car can then GG they can't do life changing or life-ending damage to someone? They can.

Fair enough, if in the extremely unlikely event that some cunt on a e-scoot cleaves your cars' wing mirror off then fucks off after it you won't be complaining about it then.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:

That's my point, it isn't controlled. If it were controlled then nobody would think twice about even getting in their uninsured car to pop down the shops.

I would (think more than twice) and so would 99% of people I know.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:51 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's paedophilia, I just think it's not right. When you are a grown ass man sitting there while your misses is doing her homework it just isn't right in my opinion.

How else is she going to pass her 11+?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
How else is she going to pass her 11+?

Bruh Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6