Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 174, 175, 176  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 17 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of mine are at least 10 feet off the ground, I've done what I can to make them out of reach as possible.

Had I had them installed a couple of months back they would have picked up my neighbours garage being broken into
and his big Ducati traillie nicked along with a couple of fancy pushbikes.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 17 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUCKING Dennis has just caught a mouse Shocked

She's under the table flinging it about, so I have put my feet up on a chair in case it runs over my feet in a feeble attempt to escape her one front leg Laughing

Brick Wall Brick Wall

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcuking kids on electric scooters.

Been in Nottingham and they're like everywhere m8. Whizzing in and out of road traffic and buses at speeds approaching 30mph.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm believe to be legal:
a) They have to be hired vehicles not private, as the council/government is a bit hard up
b) The rider/driver needs to have at least a provisional driving licence, i.e. be 17

So I'm seeing 10 year olds on them and thinking something's not right. Then a bacon wagon just drives straight past! Clearly better things to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:10 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
fcuking kids on electric scooters.

Been in Nottingham and they're like everywhere m8. Whizzing in and out of road traffic and buses at speeds approaching 30mph.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm believe to be legal:
a) They have to be hired vehicles not private, as the council/government is a bit hard up
b) The rider/driver needs to have at least a provisional driving licence, i.e. be 17

So I'm seeing 10 year olds on them and thinking something's not right. Then a bacon wagon just drives straight past! Clearly better things to do.

i hope they do have better things to do.

It's time they made these things legal and bring in regs for how they are to be used. So an age limit, registration, build standards and possibly some sort of CBT type course, for use on cycle paths and the road. I'm thinking something like the reduced effect mopeds they have in Holland.

As things stand, they do you for driving otherwise than in accordance with your licence which is a bit of a big hit for a kid pissing about on a scooter (and an even bigger one for an adult, points on licence and everything). Doesn't seem commensurate with the offence. Should be more akin to cycling on the footway with a lower-end fixed penalty.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a news article about some woman who got banned from driving for 18 months for being caught drunk on one.

Having said that, like with mobility scooters, I don't think it will be long before one is involved in a fatal incident.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I don't think it will be long before one is involved in a fatal incident.

Erm - July 2019: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/13/tv-presenter-emily-hartridge-dies-in-scooter-crash

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears ground by an absolute t*sser in a van. Cycling along in heavy traffic, filtering past the queue (which was almost at a standstill), this guy clearly wasn't happy I was making more progress than me, initially blocked me to the left, then when I tried to go around the other side, swung across my path, jumped out and threatened to rip my throat out. Shocked Fortunately I had already turned my bike to the nearside and was back on it again so cycled away (and did so rather briskly Laughing ) but I was pretty shocked by the incident. I could smell weed and judging by the state of him (and the reaction) I'd say there's a good chance he was on steroids.

I shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't escaped quickly.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:25 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Gears ground by an absolute t*sser in a van. Cycling along in heavy traffic, filtering past the queue (which was almost at a standstill), this guy clearly wasn't happy I was making more progress than me, initially blocked me to the left, then when I tried to go around the other side, swung across my path, jumped out and threatened to rip my throat out. Shocked Fortunately I had already turned my bike to the nearside and was back on it again so cycled away (and did so rather briskly Laughing ) but I was pretty shocked by the incident. I could smell weed and judging by the state of him (and the reaction) I'd say there's a good chance he was on steroids.

Did you report this drug-fueled road rage incident to the police? a) probably covered by CCTV. b) Can establish a pattern of behaviour and they'll probably tug him next time he pings their ANPR and they're bored to do a drug wipe.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
bhinso wrote:
I don't think it will be long before one is involved in a fatal incident.

Erm - July 2019: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/13/tv-presenter-emily-hartridge-dies-in-scooter-crash

They are the de rigueur method of going home after a night on the tiles if you can't get a taxi in MK. Because of the redways you can go anywhere without having to use a road and the police can't even be arsed to chase motobike riders with no helmets (probably stolen) down them so they aren't interested in a scooter until someone gets injured I suppose.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

Did you report this drug-fueled road rage incident to the police? a) probably covered by CCTV. b) Can establish a pattern of behaviour and they'll probably tug him next time he pings their ANPR and they're bored to do a drug wipe.

There was a time I would have done, but GMP are so utterly hopeless (inept/underfunded/demotivated . . . take your pick) these days, even if you had it on video they're still not interested. Rolling Eyes I tried to report antisocial off-road bikers recently who were tearing around on the footpaths, on hold to 101 for 1hr then I gave up, went onto their online reporting tool and it said unless there was a second independent witness with permission to contact them, they wouldn't take it any further - that was presumably just a standard page you get on everything!

So instead I've taken away a bit more learning and experience. I have to admit though I'm increasingly getting to the point that I don't want to cycle to work anymore, although this is the first time anything of this severity has happened in probably 15k miles of cycle commuting into Manchester (over the last 5 years or so).

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT. The lazy feckless b@stards. I'm in the process of installing some grid tied solar panels to reduce some of my energy costs as I'm working from home. Part of the install is to run an underground SWA cable from my workshop (where the solar PV will feed into) to my field via my garden. I was in the process of removing turfs so that the grass can be tidily restored and found a BT cable obviously running from the local junction box to my house. Buried a whole 8 cm below ground level. The usual rule is cables buried in a garden have to be deep enough to avoid accidental damage by garden tools. Lazy w@nkers. Evil or Very Mad

As I've already dug the cable into the workshop and terminated it to an isolator switch and the rest is on a 50m drum I was pretty stuffed. I've had to bring the SWA up and over the fecking BT cable (I wouldn't mind but I don't even use the bastards and haven't for years) and lay a old flag slate over the top of the sand it's buried in it to protect it with plenty of warning tape above and below it. I was really tempted to hacksaw through it but wasn't sure whether it would affect anyone else's service if I did. I did, however, dig out under the thing and forced it down a good bit deeper but still...

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Gears ground by an absolute t*sser in a van. Cycling along in heavy traffic, filtering past the queue (which was almost at a standstill), this guy clearly wasn't happy I was making more progress than me, initially blocked me to the left, then when I tried to go around the other side, swung across my path, jumped out and threatened to rip my throat out. .

Just because of that?! That kind of Psychopath need to be locked up.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
Gears ground by an absolute t*sser in a van. Cycling along in heavy traffic, filtering past the queue (which was almost at a standstill), this guy clearly wasn't happy I was making more progress than me, initially blocked me to the left, then when I tried to go around the other side, swung across my path, jumped out and threatened to rip my throat out. .

Just because of that?! That kind of Psychopath need to be locked up.

Yep. And yes I agree. I guess it's a numbers game; spend enough time on the road and sooner or later I'll come across a bona fide lunatic. I did the other day. I wasn't on my usual route so hopefully I won't come across him again.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears ground by another cycling related matter, although this time mechanical. Cleaned and lubed the chain yesterday ready for another week of commuting, picked the glass out of the tyres, front wheel felt a tiny bit less than smooth so took the bearings apart, cleaned out and regreased (although they actually seemed ok). All good, all fine. Front brake was feeling a bit sticky, so whipped the cable out with the intention of wiping it down, squirting some GT85 into the cable housing. Could I get the cable back in? Could I heck. Presumably the inner lining has worn through (believable, the cables are pretty old). So that's new cables, cutting, removing bar tape, re-wrapping again etc.. which is a pain.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something ground me gears yesterday but ive forgotten what it was Shocked

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost of getting married.

"Your special day."

Bullshit. Sinking the best part of £10k to watch two families get more and more pissed while you have to smile and pretend you're thrilled to see them.

Sacked it all off and "eloping".

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:

"Your special day."

Bullshit. Sinking the best part of £10k to watch two families get more and more pissed while you have to smile and pretend you're thrilled to see them.

It's not the wedding bit I object to, it's the unjustified hiking in prices of every-sodding-thing involved. Buffet? Is it for a wedding? Add 50% onto the price. Why? Oh, it's a wedding. Wtf?! It still arrives in the same trays. Venue price; hiring it for a party will be £X, hiring it for a wedding will be 2 x £X. Generally without justification, cynically because they know you HAVE to have whatever function it is you're trying to procure and everyone is doing the same racket, so you'll just have to take it on the chin.

The exception was the band we had at our wedding; price wasn't unreasonable and we managed to get it lower still by bribing them with the cheeseboard that was being served later in the evening. Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
"Your special day."

Who? you??

LustyLew wrote:

Yup - if you can get away with it.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did just that. Valley of Fire just outside Vegas. Told no one. Load of folk not right happy except for the two folk it mattered to.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:

"Your special day."

Mine was about that and I considered that a 'cheap' wedding compared to some...

I'd like to say it was money well spent...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:22 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with Mrs Bastard for nearly 21 years now, this is the second house we've owned together and have 3 kids. We have no plans to marry a
No time soon.

Getting married is bad for relationships.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I've been with Mrs Bastard
[...]
We have no plans to marry

So, that would be Ms Bastard then?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:56 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common law wife. We just see no pressing reason to make it official.

I'm sure marriage is a wonderful institution but who wants to live in an institution?

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I'm sure marriage is a wonderful institution but who wants to live in an institution?

Marriage: The act of betting half your shit that you love someone more than they love you. Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Was only a quip Wink

Now you mention it, you saying "common law wife" just makes me wonder whether your decision not to marry might be based at least in part on the fact that that's how you see each other, and whatever rights that might confer on you.

Cos you're aware that the term "common law spouse" has absolutely no legal standing or meaning in the UK, right? A lot of people get into a whole world of shit on that basis of that misapprehension when their partner dies or dumps them, and they haven't got the legals nailed down in advance
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 174, 175, 176  Next
Page 84 of 176