Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More bad news for the left

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate lefty Cunts.

The Internet's a-fucking-wash with the bastirts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:42 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's make 8t easy for you to understand.

The exchequer needs a certain amount of money to balance the books.

If the exchequer is getting loads via a windfall tax then it doest need so much from duty, vat and income tax.

Ffs, governments aren't run to make a profit for the exchequer.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Let's make 8t easy for you to understand.

The exchequer needs a certain amount of money to balance the books.

If the exchequer is getting loads via a windfall tax then it doest need so much from duty, vat and income tax.

Ffs, governments aren't run to make a profit for the exchequer.

Lol. And you think any government is going to use a windfall tax on the energy companies to reduce other taxes? Pull the other one. Governments waste money. They are perhaps the most efficient wasters of money in the known world. It doesn't matter which government; Labour, Conservative, Liberal. The money is better going directly into people's pockets, or rather, not being taken from them in the first place.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:20 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The government collects VAT on all these energy bills and duty on the fuel componants of it. How about a windfall tax on the government, or maybe cut the VAT rate which we are entirely at liberty to do now we aren't in the EU?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Odd that these companies like to promote themselves as part of our society but then when that society needs to rebalance its economy they're not so quick to contribute. It's bit like a family that's hit by a crisis and one of the family wins big on the lottery but just f#cks off on holiday and leaves the rest to eat beans on toast in a cold house.

Perhaps, but that doesn't have anything to do with what I said.[/quote]

There's probably a whole raft of things a government could do but but because even before the economic crises caused by the world wide super lurgy and the prize fight in eastern Europe there was such enormous wealth disparity then such actions would inevitably mean pissing off the Tories handlers in some way. So instead they will do sweet FA and just throw around confetti like the daft idea of pushing MOTs to be yearly etc. Keep their heads down until the next election, promote any recovery as totally down to their (sunaks) genius and then find some cheap way of buying votes at the last minute. Meanwhile the poor will get poorer, at some point the middle-class will sigh with relief when the leccy meter slows down and the very rich will likely walk off with substantially fatter wallets.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windfall tax in UK will be negligable. Shells and BP's profits are world wide. Lovely greens have reduced their antics in the UK. A big oil field Shell had a big stake in they have said they wont produce because of bad PR. That's huge tax revenues lost.

It's the old joke, how much petrol is tax yet the political parties moan like sh1t when SHell makes 5p on a gallon.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:16 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil companies make some money, oil companies sometimes lose some money (or more likely make a bit less than their shareholders would like) anyhoo...

Everyone screams "windfall tax!" when things are going well in a particular market, today it's energy.

Yesterday it was pharmaceutical companies selling vaccines... #JustSayin'

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Oil companies make some money, oil companies sometimes lose some money (or more likely make a bit less than their shareholders would like) anyhoo...

Everyone screams "windfall tax!" when things are going well in a particular market, today it's energy.

I know someone who recieved about £10k worth of an iol companies shares on account of how well the company did in the last quarter.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

I know someone who recieved about £10k worth of an iol companies shares on account of how well the company did in the last quarter.

Recieved 10k worth of shares for what? because he had a certain amount of shares and that was his dividend? Because of a bonus?

That's how my shares work anyway, I get a dividend for the amount of shares I have. If I have enough shares I could get 10k a quarter. (I don't by the way Laughing ) When I was in the Shell office I got my bonus paid in Euro traded shares (less tax than a cash bonus).

I really don't get this dislike for shareholders. They invest in the company, take the risk that they might lose money (My shares halved in value when covid hit) and make money when things are good but then the left bleat about windfall tax.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Odd that these companies like to promote themselves as part of our society but then when that society needs to rebalance its economy they're not so quick to contribute.

Aren’t they contributing all the time though? This notion that companies are intent on treating the public unfairly while local and national government is some sort of caring, sharing donor is what’s odd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that the company performance was a windfall, a result of the same bizarre circumstances that have negatively effected the wider economy. Its not earned value its an unexpected aberation.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I really don't get this dislike for shareholders. They invest in the company, take the risk that they might lose money (My shares halved in value when covid hit) and make money when things are good but then the left bleat about windfall tax.

Your so sensitive Laughing

I have no problem with people having shares but my friend considers the shares they've been given as a pretty absurd effect of a perverse situation. They're happy to have them but well aware of gow they came about.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I have no problem with people having shares but my friend considers the shares they've been given as a pretty absurd effect of a perverse situation.

No doubt he’ll donate them to the Treasury for the greater good.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:03 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, Economics 101...

If North Sea Oil plc were selling a barrel of oil at £50 prior to the war and after - as Russia effectively exits the market - they see more demand. The ppl who were buying from Russia now have to buy from elsewhere. "Fuck your existing customers, we're desperate! We'll give you £60 a barrel." And so the price goes up as far as the market (i.e. the customers) will stomach - supply and demand - and hits £100 per barrel.

In time North Sea Oil plc would probably try and get more oil pumped and now they've got a bit of a surplus. "Feck, we need to shift this shit..." and so they offer some discounts. And so the price goes down until all the oil is sold.

The problem here is that the price is totally elastic whereas production is not.

If we are saying that North Sea Oil plc has to pay a windfall punitive tax on profits they really have no control over (as in they never started the effing war) how far is that from "market forces are evil, people are suffering, won't someone think of the children" etc.

Price controls, yes that's what we need. That's always worked in the past Rolling Eyes Fuck large-scaled distributed computation. One man. In an office. It'll be fine.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:28 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Your so sensitive Laughing

I have no problem with people having shares but my friend considers the shares they've been given as a pretty absurd effect of a perverse situation. They're happy to have them but well aware of gow they came about.

You haven't said why he got them. I'm sure BP didnt pop round his house and give him 10k of shares, he must be entitled under their share scheme.

And sensitive? not really, just totally bemused by the idea that because there is a shortage of something (engineered by governments not buying Russian oil or whatever) that because some people are willing to pay more for the product than was payed before, the company that delivers the product should be taxed extra for it.

So you have a rare bike, someone offers you 50k and then someone comes along and offers 100k, the gov should tax you for that windfall?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:17 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this pros v cons roundup https://www.theweek.co.uk/energy/956757/the-arguments-for-and-against-a-windfall-tax-on-oil-and-gas-profits

Make your choice but im sticking with mine.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's nice that you trust Boris's government to spend it wisely.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Funny Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

They'll have a party in Downing street to celebrate. Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

They'll have a party in Downing street to celebrate. Thumbs Up

Or maybe just wait untill the golden handshake ceremony in their post political careers on the boards of directors of the corporations they've protected.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Funny Laughing

So why suggest the tax in the first place? Are you refusing to deal with the world as it is?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than a Windfall tax, we all know the energy cap is going up. Why not restrict that rise?

Who controls what the cap is? Does the Government have control, or is it OFFGEM / Other?

The rise in the cap has been blamed on wholesale gas prices. But as we know, companies are making profits which would make a footballer blush, and the wholesale gas price has fallen in the last 2 months from 320p to 230p

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

The rise in the cap has been blamed on wholesale gas prices. But as we know, companies are making profits which would make a footballer blush, and the wholesale gas price has fallen in the last 2 months from 320p to 230p

and on top of that the government will be giving millions of pounds of tax payers money to energy companies under the guise helping people pay their fuel bills.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
bhinso wrote:

and on top of that the government will be giving millions of pounds of tax payers money to energy companies under the guise helping people pay their fuel bills.

No they wont. They will be giving money to the suppliers of gas/electric to homes in the UK. Not the gas suppliers, Shell, BP and co. The cap on prices is what Britiish gas, ovo, Eon etc. charge. They are the ones getting the money.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

On top of the subsidies the Oil and Gas industry already gets https://news.sky.com/story/climate-change-uk-government-oil-and-gas-subsidies-hit-13-6bn-since-paris-agreement-campaigners-say-12477295
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4