Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anybody with any experience of Elvanse or similar?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Anybody with any experience of Elvanse or similar? Reply with quote

Considering trying this to see if I can straighten out my atrocious lack of concentration, not to mention executive function.

My boss at work is offering to send me on a course that will give me a qualification, which is likely to cost him a pretty penny, and I really want to do it justice, but my powers of concentration are shot and I haven't studied for 44 years Rolling Eyes

I was even thinking of going on one of those "foundation" courses to prepare you for study, but I think it might be a bit basic for me? Not sure.

Aside from that, though, I have really been having a lot of trouble with focus, my thoughts just seem to FLY AWAY.

Sometimes my brain feels like the equivalent of the big bang theory, with all the stuff I am trying to retain disappearing into an ever-expanding and unreachable outer space corner of my brain.

Bit of a big step for me... Thinking Shocked

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:19 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping off the weed would probably help. Maybe you do anyway?

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally misread that as "elevenses".

A.A. Milne has a lot to answer for.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use a fartsmoan, don't

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought she was going to go on about Lord of the Rings type stuff
You know, dressing up as elves and larping and all that
I mean, she does live up that London and
the things they get up to up there eh?

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Flarping.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F09%2FAryGV4EUflQ.jpg%3Fresize%3D700%252C700%26ssl%3D1&f=1&nofb=1

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleep deprivation is a major cause of memory and attention dysfunction.

Cut out tje caffeine and go to bed at a time to ensure you get a min 8 hours sleep.
Blue Light your phone and pc tab iphone.
Cool room promotes better sleep.

I bet you'll see an improvement within a week.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADHD?
bone idle more like

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut out sugar from your diet and you'll be surprised how much more alert you are.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Cut out sugar from your diet and you'll be surprised how much more alert you are.

agreed. i switched from sugar to honey. it was shocking how much difference it made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:30 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was going to say... weed stays in the system for up to 6 months. You'll need to cut right back to see a benefit I reckon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:10 - 21 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about that drug, but I've been on methylphenidate for about 10 years now. It works. Give it a shot.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No course is worth it if it means you have to take drugs to get through it.

The weed is for relaxation, correct? I'm guessing it was originally chosen because your job was stressful, and it's much better than drinking every night to unwind. Live longer! Therefore, it's doing the job you intended it to do, and letting you change your focus away from matters related to work. It does this because this was your intention. I think it might also facilitate you changing your focus towards matters related to work. Maybe change the strain to a different one, and direct your intention towards this new activity of study.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the consensus seems to be
Put bung in that bong?
No More of this sort of thing?
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstonerdays.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2Fstoner-weed-girls-blazed-238.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

More church attendance, clean living and this sort of thing

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.istockphoto.com%2Fphotos%2Fhappy-hispanic-female-student-using-laptop-computer-in-classroom-picture-id485910402%3Fk%3D6%26m%3D485910402%26s%3D170667a%26w%3D0%26h%3DkVYmo_niVvyQvT2l3MY935FwrdlVUb_ceH3FMREG6Xo%3D&f=1&nofb=1

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:19 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The far more straightforward test for a person of your experiences. How does speed affect you? If every one else keeps moving and it makes you want to concentrate on something/read a book/spend 5 hours going down a wikipedia rabbit hole and managed to take it all in, the ADHD drugs are worth a shot.

Fuck it, they're worth a shot anyway, it's just a low dose of clean speed.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep reading this as "Anybody with any experience of Elevenses or similar?" and think yeah, not proud of it, but i've done a fair few Rich Teas in over the years

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw are Rich Tea biscuits ironically named?? there's nothing whatsoever that's rich tasting about them...I mean, I can see how Bland Tea biscuits might not catch on as a branding exercise - however, don't you reckon someone in marketing would've said I'm sorry Barbara but I don't think the general public will be fooled if we simply call this product Rich Tea...the moment they put one in their mouthes, the game will be well and truly up, and they'll feel conned, and never buy another as long as they live

but then, maybe someone DID say that....and Barbara or whoever said "No Sir Bernard, I think you're wrong - I'd stake my reputation on it. The biscuit buying public are sheep, I tell you - and they're ours to sheer. WHO IS WITH ME?!?! GOD DAMN IT BERNARD I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL!!!!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Digestive biscuits were once thought of as medicinal.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 23:12 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot more you can do before you start trying to self medicate.

From reading the replies it seems OP enjoys the herb. Cut out weed, it slowly kills off your cognitive function (ask me how I know).

Start exercising regularly and stay consistent. Even if it's just going for a long walk every few days, this really is the biggest one for both mental and physical wellbeing.

Drink at least 2 litres of water per day. That's a minimum.

Get decent sleep (this will improve when you have a routine involving at least some exercise per day). Sometimes having a sleep routine helps. To fix my sleep I put on a humidifier with some essential oils and took some CBD oil before bed (even if it's placebo, the belief it helped was there). Reducing screen time also helps with this.

Eat decent food, cook your own shit from scratch and it won't have any crap in it. Don't binge eat.

Cut out sugar and caffeine. Or at the very least reduce sugar, but completely cut out all sources of caffeine as this fucks your sleep up completely.

If you don't see any improvements in concentration levels from doing all of the above, then see a doctor.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:59 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue I have with that list is that's a list of things that are supremely difficult for an unmedicated ADHD person. Organise your life, cut out stimulation, stick to routines. That's what the drugs allow us to do.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up the diagnostic criteria for ADHD then get diagnosed and a script for something to boost your concentration.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I actually did exactly that.
I'm being referred (eventually) to some august professorial type at Kings, but am in no rush.

I'm concentrating better, cut back the weed (not quit) and (mostly) drink decaff as well Shocked
I'd already cut out a lot of sugar, went to using powdered sweetener a couple of years ago (hence that chunk of weight loss back then).

But the Elvanse gives me headaches and makes me jittery so I tend not to take it every day - I don't know HOW some people take it twice a day every day (!) but I suppose ... different things for different folks.

So ... still a little bugger - still capable of skiving off, getting myself into scrapes, and procrastinating - but my garden is coming along nicely, I'm getting my work done, hopefully enough to sail through my probation period at work, and then I'll see about this study course.

Or whatevs ... Cool
One day at a time.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I'm getting my work done, hopefully enough to sail through my probation period at work...

Definitely. Get past that...

I've had this discussion with my son-ish*-in-law: stacks of programmers (is a group of programmers a stack? it seems appropriate) lazing about turning 3 day jobs into 3 week slog-fests and fucking up all the cadences of other projects. They've all been with the company for years, can't get rid of 'em (short of punching out a manager or racially abusing a work colleague.) Limpets on the ship's hull.

...something to look forward to Wink

*Not yet married to my daughter, the toe tapping and finger drumming is getting louder. Might buy a watch just to tap at it.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:21 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

But the Elvanse gives me headaches and makes me jittery so I tend not to take it every day - I don't know HOW some people take it twice a day every day (!) but I suppose ... different things for different folks.

Different options work for different people. Elvanse helped but really screwed me up in other ways, but had very few if any physical effects. Concerta did have physical effects (jittery, heart racing, etc) when the dose was maxed out, but was a lot less effective - I hate to think what the physical effects would have been if the dose was high enough to work effectively. There is also Atomoxetine which is not a stimulant and works in a completely different way (tends not to be the first choice as unlike the stimulants the effects are not immediate).

All the best

Katy

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Definitely. Get past that...

It's one of my few remaining sources of anxiety.
Apart from getting home to see my goddamn family, and to be quite honest, if I don't get past probation, I'll just go on holiday, see the fam and take life as it comes from there Laughing

I know the kind of limpets you're on about.
I never made a career out of being one, and don't plan to be one now. Wink Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
btw are Rich Tea biscuits ironically named?? there's nothing whatsoever that's rich tasting about them...I mean, I can see how Bland Tea biscuits might not catch on as a branding exercise - however, don't you reckon someone in marketing would've said I'm sorry Barbara but I don't think the general public will be fooled if we simply call this product Rich Tea...the moment they put one in their mouthes, the game will be well and truly up, and they'll feel conned, and never buy another as long as they live

but then, maybe someone DID say that....and Barbara or whoever said "No Sir Bernard, I think you're wrong - I'd stake my reputation on it. The biscuit buying public are sheep, I tell you - and they're ours to sheer. WHO IS WITH ME?!?! GOD DAMN IT BERNARD I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL!!!!

Stop Eating the bastirts.... Ehm... Now!!

The Turkish kunts who own micviteas shut the factory in Glasgow. Moved production somewhere else. Fuctifano as I don't bother about asset stripping arsewholes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2