Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha YZF-R7 2022

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

mayfairr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:02 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Yamaha YZF-R7 2022 Reply with quote

Hello all!

I am 19 years old (A2 Restricted) and purchased a Honda CBF125 as my learner bike - I am a good rider, I promise.

I really like the look of the R6 but I can't restrict that for my license type. So instead I want to get the R7 which has the exact same look - although a little less aggressive.

There is a lot of controversy in the community about the R7 being a terrible successor to the R6 and it is such a downgrade blah blah blah.

I just want to know if I spend £8,500 on a bike, will fellow bikers look down on me with disgust? I am going to purchase it regardless, it would just be good to know if they are looking at my bike because:

1. WOW OMG so cool new R7
2. What a little tryhard can't handle an R6
3. Oh look, an ordinary motorcyclist.

Ps. Second Question: I will be wearing full one piece leathers. Is this normal on the road? (If not, I will still be wearing them).

I would rather be an idiot and know I am an idiot, rather than be an idiot without knowing Very Happy

Thanks in advance!

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YZF-R7 2022 Reply with quote

mayfairr wrote:
I just want to know if I spend £8,500 on a bike, will fellow bikers look down on me with disgust? I am going to purchase it regardless, it would just be good to know if they are looking at my bike because:

Ps. Second Question: I will be wearing full one piece leathers. Is this normal on the road? (If not, I will still be wearing them).

No they won't look at you with disgust. I'll go and have a gander at ANY new bike I haven't seen before, so there will certainly be some of number 1 on your list. The R7 is almost certainly a much better bike on the road than the R6, as the R6 is a peaky screamer and the R7 engine (which is used in a load of bikes) seems to be universally regarded as a great road engine, so there won't be much of number 2 unless you're at a track. But it's mostly just going to be number 3. The person who cares most about what bike you ride, is you.

Most people don't wear one-piece leathers on the road, mainly just because they're impractical (lack of pockets, not waterproof, hassle going for a dump). Equally though, it's not that unusual, and no-one else will care if you want to dress like a power ranger.

Last edited by Zen Dog on 16:16 - 25 Apr 2022; edited 2 times in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:23 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YZF-R7 2022 Reply with quote

mayfairr wrote:
will fellow bikers look down on me with disgust?

How tall are you?

mayfairr wrote:

Do your leathers have a potato?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YZF-R7 2022 Reply with quote

mayfairr wrote:
it would just be good to know if they are looking at my bike because:

4. Real motorcyclist will look on with intrigue, respect and empathy
while hot chicks will walk past as though you are invisible inspite
of what you always dreamed*

Its 4. it's always 4.

*according to the wisdom of the fat angry jock - although you might have the looks of Steve McQueen, Brad Pitt or whoever generation Z think is cool, in which case it's still not the bike even if they say it is..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other bikers will look on you wandering what it is and liking it anyway, because bike. If you like it that's all that matters.

Saying that the older R6 will not lose you much money. Carbed R6 will gain you money. But fuck money, get what you will be happy with.

Last edited by struan80 on 19:10 - 25 Apr 2022; edited 1 time in total

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you grow up a bit, you will stop caring what other people think and do things because its what you want to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 25 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the old R6 could do 160 and your naff R7 only does 130... when would you ever be able to leverage that difference?

A one-piece says "try hard" more than the model of bike, IMHO.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YZF-R7 2022 Reply with quote

mayfairr wrote:
I would rather be an idiot and know I am an idiot, rather than be an idiot without knowing Very Happy

This statement shows you have attained wisdom beyond your years.
But you are still an idiot; as I am and as many of us are. You are not alone in that respect.

to v or not to v wrote:
when you grow up a bit, you will stop caring what other people think...

You'll probably always care, to some degree. But eventually, the power of other people's expectations will diminish. That's when you become an independent, free thinking biker. It works for awhile, but when you approach your seventies, they call it dementia. Wink

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
So the old R6 could do 160 and your naff R7 only does 130... when would you ever be able to leverage that difference?

To be fair it's less about the overall top speed than it is about acceleration and cruising at higher road speeds, or your personal needs from a bike.

If you religiously stick to speed limits then even the R7 is overkill, get an R3, or even an R125.

The R7 is probably a great bike for sporty road riding in the UK, and no doubt a handy track bike too (the SV650 is often touted as a great starter track bike so no reason the R7 shouldn't be).

On the other hand, if once in a while you cruise on motorways at 3 figure speeds, or in a blast of acceleration on the right road you occasionally hit the red line in a high gear (not necessarily 6th)...

In those scenarios you probably would see an advantage on the bike with a higher top speed, even if you don't ever exceed 130mph that the R7 can do, having the extra power at the high end on the R6 means it has that much more pull between 70-120.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the R7, just Horses for courses, basically.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:27 - 26 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice is dont let crusties on a internet forum influence what vehicle you want to use.

Other thing is to possibly go for a cheaper sporty A2 machine to see if you like the position/style before signing up for £8.5k of finance.
amariyondalyn This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1