Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Film review thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 20 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigbug
French comedy set in a future where humans are dependent on robot. A group of people get trapped inside a house when their domestic robots lock them in for their own safety after a bunch of psycho robots take over the world. Amusing easy watching on Netflix.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 21 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Batman 8/10
My only complaint was it's a little too long. It was nice to finally see another superhero film without quippy jokes every minute.

Wish I knew it was streaming though, had someone talking behind me the whole movie. I really love the cinema but I think I'm done going for a while unless it's for really late showings that have no people in them.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 22 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story (Netflix)

Well, feck. Thinking

I'm not British, so I haven't really known who he actually was. I mean the Jim'll fix it show, his charity stunts and so on. I also had no idea how he had so many friends in the high places. The knighthood, being mates with Thatcher, princess Diana, prince Charles, police officers and inspectors, being honored by the Pope, everybody loved him, being national treasure, etc.

All I knew was the ''recent news''. I bet many of the BBC executives and many others knew about this all along. Jimmy had been doing all this from the early 50's and to think he actually got away with it, living a full life, makes it even worse.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 23 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Well, feck. Thinking

I'm not British, so I haven't really known who he actually was. I mean the Jim'll fix it show, his charity stunts and so on. I also had no idea how he had so many friends in the high places. The knighthood, being mates with Thatcher, princess Diana, prince Charles, police officers and inspectors, being honored by the Pope, everybody loved him, being national treasure, etc.

All I knew was the ''recent news''. I bet many of the BBC executives and many others knew about this all along. Jimmy had been doing all this from the early 50's and to think he actually got away with it, living a full life, makes it even worse.

The documentary on Netflix is pretty tame compared with the book In plain sight by Dan Davies. Davies is a journalist who had become suspicious about Savile in the eighties so started interviewing him regularly. Saviles criminality can be traced back much further than the seventies or even the sixties when he was one of the leading lights of the pop radio scene. There's some strong speculation he may even have committed murder in order to pretend to be another coal miner during the second world war and then use this assumed identity to draw two wages. He himself thought for years that the reason he didn't get a knighthood earlier was because UK security services knew about serious stuff he had been up to, something even worse than his pedophilia. Did you see his gold medalion with the eyes set into it? Apparently those eyes were glass eyes he had taken from corpses in hospital morgues. The guy was a creep and a hard core criminal but also a genius, terrifying really.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 23 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

have heard it said that he was into necrophilia and satanism too, but that side of the story was supressed.
i honestly believe the establishment is full of sick people who protect each other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very similar to the Hollywood #metoo movement.

Basically someone high up in the business with a huge level of wealth/power/status gets up to all sorts of dodgy shit. It's known about but completely suppressed because 'Person X does a lot for charity, has a high status etc. etc.' John Lydon's famous interview where he mentions JS is a good example.

People are reluctant to come forward because they won't be believed, or they simply don't want to - Weinstein being a prime example, based on his power, the victims decided their careers were more important. Look at previous Oscars where people made jokes about Weinstein and everyone just laughed.

Eventually there's an 'Emperor's new clothes' moment, or enough people do come forward that it reaches critical mass and can no longer be suppressed. Then it's about Holywood, the Beeb, etc. etc. trying to cover their own arse.

I'm sure there's no end of stuff we haven't heard of because it hasn't / has never reached critical mass
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 27 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker 9/10

Absolutely compelling movie. The part was well within Phoenix's capabilities by the looks, probably why his performance as good as it was.
A very interesting take on the back story of this particular baddie, the mental illness and personality disorder angle was absolutely spot on, a brilliant character development.
I put off seeing this one too long.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 12:41 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Batman - 4/10

Complete and utter bore fest. I like slow burners but this takes that to a new level.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 21 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius, a solid 9/10. Not as bad as the so called critics made it out to be.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 21 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debby Does Dallas

9/10

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 21 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Well, feck. Thinking

What makes the whole thing quite tortuous is that Savile did so much good in the world. Were it possible to produce an objective balance-sheet of his life's activity, the positive could have outweighed the negative many times over.

Take for instance his almost single-handed promotion of the use of seatbelts ("clunk-click, every trip") - that alone probably saved thousands of lives and prevented many tens of thousands of serious injuries. Part of the problem is that Savile was almost ridiculously clever, and would've been abusing people at the very same time as sincerely promoting stuff like seatbelt usage AND probably even knowing that - when he died - people like us would be mulling over the contradictions. He was determined to make it hard for people to damn him. He overestimated them though.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 21 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Well, feck. Thinking

What makes the whole thing quite tortuous is that Savile did so much good in the world. Were it possible to produce an objective balance-sheet of his life's activity, the positive could have outweighed the negative many times over.

Take for instance his almost single-handed promotion of the use of seatbelts ("clunk-click, every trip") - that alone probably saved thousands of lives and prevented many tens of thousands of serious injuries. Part of the problem is that Savile was almost ridiculously clever, and would've been abusing people at the very same time as sincerely promoting stuff like seatbelt usage AND probably even knowing that - when he died - people like us would be mulling over the contradictions. He was determined to make it hard for people to damn him. He overestimated them though.

Lolwut?! I do see the dichotomy, be the face of a government safety campaign, and get paid, during the daytime. Fist dead corpses at night.

Pick some random sick kids, for a Saturday night seat on Jimmy's sofa for a nice reward on the telly, pick some other random sick kids for a seat in Jimmy's roller on a Sunday, for a nice reward in the bumhole.

I reckons the living victims would probably rather somebody else (other than Rolf or Glitter) had been paid for the clunk click campaign.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

You should read the book on him In plain sight. You might change your view then. Saville was a complete shyster and there's nothing he did for charidy that out weighs his wickedness. The only other person who agrees with you would be the man himself.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

<iframe src="https://archive.org/embed/Woman_in_the_Dark_1934" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Im becoming obsessed with Fay Wray Shocked

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
You should read the book on him In plain sight. You might change your view then. Saville was a complete shyster and there's nothing he did for charidy that out weighs his wickedness. The only other person who agrees with you would be the man himself.

The seatbelt promotion wasn't for charity. He profited from it - in monetary terms (getting paid for his appearance in the advert), in furthering his popularity (being in every other ad break on telly), and morally, etc. That's all obvious. But just because someone is being utterly selfish doesn't mean their actions don't also have positive consequences for other people.

If - IF - what he did played a major part in saving thousands of lives, what's the best argument for omitting this from an assessment of his existence? That's not a rhetorical question, by the way. There may be really good reasons for air brushing that out of history.

For example, one of those reasons might be this: We need to forget the old-fashioned notion of stranger danger. The people who abuse our children aren't random evil people - they're vicars, priests, pillars of the community, and beloved celebrities. Or uncles, step-dads and teachers.

Accepting that is very difficult for all kinds of reasons (we feel guilty that, in the past, we were so naive, and we unwittingly let these people near our kids) - but it's necessary and we have to do it. However, in demonising people - and particularly in the case of Savile - we're actually not getting away from the old stranger danger problem. Savile was this monstrously selfish narcissist....and nothing at all like you and me, because we're not selfish or narcissistic...Savile was, well, he was strange and...and...really dangerous. Ermm...

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 26 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firestarter - 2022

Well I liked it.... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 26 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Firestarter - 2022

Well I liked it.... Laughing

Barry Norman eat your heart out Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oceans 8
Loved it.
Mr. Green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:02 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That HBO Gotti movie.
Didn't do much for me. I think it may be because it had such a high standard to live up to within the genre. Reading the book, "Gotti: The Rise and Fall" was better.
I would like to see an accurate portrayal of Roy DeMeo's story, but think it would be too brutal for modern sensibilities.
I understand that Michael Franzese might have a project about to materialise, but it might be a tv series rather than a movie, so I probably won't get to see it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverick 9/10

If, like me, you were growing up and watched the first one and loved it. Then you will love this one. There is enough sentiment to get a little grit in your eye, enough nods to the first movie but some fantastic scenes. At one point the you could hear the whole cinema inhale and hold their breath, then exhale at the same time. Any movie that can do that to everyone in there, that gets my vote!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:20 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t argue with ^^ that. The film sorts out his personal life, doesn’t actually finger point at any specific ‘baddie’, resolves the ‘Goose’ situation and he dicks about on a ninja H2 with full protection (Ray-Ban aviators)

What’s not to like?

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
Can’t argue with ^^ that. The film sorts out his personal life, doesn’t actually finger point at any specific ‘baddie’,

The first movie doesnt pick out a specific bad guy either, It was cleverly done and its probably the first movie I would happily pay to see again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Maverick 9/10

If, like me, you were growing up and watched the first one and loved it. Then you will love this one. There is enough sentiment to get a little grit in your eye, enough nods to the first movie but some fantastic scenes. At one point the you could hear the whole cinema inhale and hold their breath, then exhale at the same time. Any movie that can do that to everyone in there, that gets my vote!

I didn't see the first - I was put off by my college contemporaries who sung 'unchained melody' to every passing female Sick.
36 years on I might give it a go. My boys in their teens watched both and rated the 'Maverick', Top Gun though was 'meh' to them.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I didn't see the first - I was put off by my college contemporaries who sung 'unchained melody' to every passing female Sick.
36 years on I might give it a go. My boys in their teens watched both and rated the 'Maverick', Top Gun though was 'meh' to them.

You mean take my breath away? unchained was in ghost. Awful movie. Top gun, got planes, male bonding at its best, heaps of cheese. whats not to love?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
A100man wrote:

You mean take my breath away? unchained was in ghost. Awful movie. Top gun, got planes, male bonding at its best, heaps of cheese. whats not to love?

Bollocks - I meant 'You've lost that lovin' feeling'.. I can still picture them now.. Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 183 of 194