Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 10 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

After picking up replacement coil on Sunday from a friend at the MZ club meet local to me, I installed it last night and went for a quick 10 mile ride. There were absolutely no problems.

I've taken the bike to work today and all is happy. Idling well, lights 'n all!

Success so far it seems. Some more riding, then I can swap the condensors back to their original bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 11 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiring on the ol' Triumph is almost finished. I'm waiting on a nice STOP engine button and I need to rewire the rear light...

It's an el-cheapo design. Brake is all the LEDs and Running is via a resistor. Unfortunately activating the brakes feeds back into the running light circuit which probably wouldn't be a problem on a modern bike (with the lights always on) but on this thing we have an on/off switch just to stop the lights depriving the coils and plugs of power when kicking it over. I don't think it'll make much odds but my father-in-law is adamant he wants the lights switchable.

Anyhoo, I'm thinking a couple of rectifier diodes might be the simplest solution to stop the two circuits from feeding into each other.

Apart from that I mixed up a red/green wire with a brown/green wire but otherwise all went well, the latching relays for the indicators and main beam seem particularly clever now it's all wired in Very Happy

And as a bonus we tried kicking it over a few times and we have spark! probably no timing but... we have spark!

B1N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:36 - 11 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Wiring on the ol' Triumph is almost finished. I'm waiting on a nice STOP engine button and I need to rewire the rear light...

It's an el-cheapo design. Brake is all the LEDs and Running is via a resistor. Unfortunately activating the brakes feeds back into the running light circuit which probably wouldn't be a problem on a modern bike (with the lights always on) but on this thing we have an on/off switch just to stop the lights depriving the coils and plugs of power when kicking it over. I don't think it'll make much odds but my father-in-law is adamant he wants the lights switchable.

Anyhoo, I'm thinking a couple of rectifier diodes might be the simplest solution to stop the two circuits from feeding into each other.

Apart from that I mixed up a red/green wire with a brown/green wire but otherwise all went well, the latching relays for the indicators and main beam seem particularly clever now it's all wired in Very Happy

And as a bonus we tried kicking it over a few times and we have spark! probably no timing but... we have spark!

Sounds like it's coming on great.
Check your chassis/ ground wires are secure on those light circuits. Thumbs Up

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
the latching relays for the indicators and main beam seem particularly clever now it's all wired in Very Happy

Lathing relays open up worlds of 'cool shit' if you are inventive enough. I once saw a gs1000 chop done in a very old school style with no visible switchgear. The thing that got my attention though was he had a villiers advance/retard style lever on the bars which had a short cable pull to a rear brake light switch mounted under the tank then on to a latching relay... Turns out he had an EXUP valve in the straight through exhaust controlled by said relay and he just gave the lever a momentary pull to change it from wide the fuck open ASBO noise to 'cops nearby/ MOT time' as he called it. Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's that motogadget thing for $£€ouch! money but I've never really liked the contortion of button holds and presses. I'd probably hand-roll an Arduino if I was so inclined Thinking I like the "plausible deniability" switch idea though Smile

Apart from the terrible design (or lack thereof) of old Triumphs in general if I was going with a "garage queen" show stopper I'd be looking at routing cables through the handlebars and frame. Tricky on a T140 given the oil reservoir, maybe on the next bike...

I said something along those lines not long ago to the old fella and he said "no, not doing another one." Technically correct if you say a Triumph isn't an old Harley in need of TLC which is what he's eyeing up at the moment. FFS we haven't finished this one yet!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't keep this old bike completely original - the old speedo wasn't accurate above 50-ish mph, and the spindle-driven tachometer has been hopelessly inaccurate since I bought it, and an annoyance (it works by creating an electromagnetic field to move the needle by the action of the tacho cable inside a permanent magnetic field). However, I've kept the old stuff, so this is a reversible mod. I didn't want to buy anything or use anything from Ebay.

Removed the tachometer and tach cable, and the spindle which is driven from the camshaft. Replaced the speedo with an old (and quite large!) Yamaha speedo I had lying around and which I like. Relocated idiot lights to the right with the help of a piece of steel (now I've got to find a way to colour them green, orange and red). Relocated the ignition barrel elsewhere, with some minor fabrication work using a piece of angle iron.

https://i.ibb.co/RYVNtv3/speedoreplace.jpg

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Relocated idiot lights to the right with the help of a piece of steel (now I've got to find a way to colour them green, orange and red).

do you have any friends who are warhammer fans who can paint them? If not walk into games workshop with the lights and a packet of chocolate hobnobs and convince the head neckbeard to put a splash of paint on them.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the old thing MOT'ed.

the tester was a bit of a comedian, came out and told me he had to fail it.
left me looking forlorn for a few moments, then said it failed due to no rear reflector, so he stuck a new one on and passed it.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my GSXR1100 back after a long spell in dock to fix a rapidly worsening oil leak (front recirc tube o-rings pissing out).

Also got the dying standard CDI replaced with an Ignitech and had some mapping done on ye olde dyno.

It's amazing how soft the standard ignition curves on a lot of bikes are. Peak was fixed at 120bhp regardless of what level of advance was dialled in, so it's safe to assume that this is set in stone by mechanical factors, most likely cams and exhaust. However considering the rest of the bike is bone standard and 32 years old, it's more than acceptable. What is more impressive is the low and mid gains achieved by live mapping.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52071758690_46622fc614_b.jpg

Almost a 20bhp gain at 4000rpm and has an advantage over the standard ignition till just passed 7000rpm (which coincides with the rev range where the bike spends most time on the road). As I said, couldn't get any gains at peak but did manage to flatten the curve so it holds peak power a bit longer and doesn't die off so quick. Very pleased at the improvement considering it's achieved purely via black box and laptop fiddling.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 14 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to start the ol' Triumph today but got as far as filling the gearbox and frame with oil but then did so many odds and sods it was soon beer o'clock and the cup final Rolling Eyes

Did manage to relocate a bundle of wires from behind the headlight to inside the bucket so looks really tidy now Smile

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 14 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered a minor oil leak a couple of days ago, when I saw that some oil had burned on the exhaust. Opening it up, I saw that the clutch pushrod oil seal wasn't sealing, so I found and bought a NOS one.

Replacing this today didn't take long - I'd say just an hour from start to finish, including sprocket removal and putting everything back. You can see the old one weeping slightly in the photo to the left. Couple of odd things: someone had been at it before, and damaged engine case slightly. That actually helped when removing the circlip. More interestingly, the seal I removed was not the proper Kawasaki one. It was a cheap-looking surrogate, probably meant for a different bike. This is probably why it was leaking. The replacement seal is a NOS Kawasaki seal, and is superbly designed. The entire body of the seal exploits the spring pressure of the metal from which it's made (it exerts a radiating pressure to its outer circumference), and the outermost lip crushes inward slightly as it's driven into the seat.

https://i.ibb.co/pJc2F6K/clutchpushrodsealreplacement-small.png

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought and installed last night replacement clutch springs for my '87 MZ ETZ 250 after messing around for too long with 'used' original springs and also shitty aftermarket springs both of which I can compress fully fairly easily between both thumbs and index fingers as one press. The shitty aftermarket springs are sometimes at or 1mm below the free length minimum specified in the repair manual! (I know that pressure is obviously better measurement of a springs worth, but out of the box having the length wrong foremost is pretty poor).

Have also tried different oils, some of which helped with clutch slip but ultimately didn't resolve it fully.

I didn't really want to have to change plates because I had already done so recently to try and fix the problem (put in replacement used, but good thickness plates), and it's a hassle really on these bikes. Though it was a possibility the plates could be a little impregnated with incorrect oil from the past or glazed (more likely). So I thought i'd have a go at finding thicker and taller springs.

So In the end I went with Springs designed for Suzuki GS400 from the 70's/80's (according to the aftermarket company document) - I only bought them on e-Bay based off the dimensions I required.

But it was a success, at least so far as I can tell on the way to work. As with last time I tested with a different oil, TESTING for slip got nothing, but just riding and not looking for the problem had it come forth, so will have to just ride and see whether it continues to be a problem or not. May or may not buy a 2nd set of these same springs for the '90 MZ, which also has a slight very minor slipping clutch (but no where near as bad as this '87).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 18 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting on the tank but fuck it...

https://youtu.be/yiNnnpYFY60

Started off with "I tried kicking it over... nuffink" Errm... have you tried the kill switch Rolling Eyes

After that it spluttered a bit. Gave it a bit more air (idle adjust) and it started fine Smile Actually that was a red herring and adjusting the timing got better results and we could dial the idle adjust right back.

Have we got the right pilot or main jets? Fuck knows. Are these flat slide "dirt bike" carbs going to do the job? No idea. I suspect it's running rich as no choke is required from cold and it'll fall flat on its face if we attempt to take it down the road but it kicks over easy and that's a start Very Happy

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 19 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

adjusted the chain. heady stuff.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 13:21 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought her a set of new wings

https://www.motostorm.it/images/products/large/manubrio/rizoma_bss040_panigale_v4_nero.jpg

https://www.motostorm.it/images/products/large/manubrio/rizoma_bss040_panigale_v4_mount.jpg

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 20 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted an RK chain and sprocket kit and fitted the Lightech chain adjusters correctly, as the previous owner had fitted them the wrong way up.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news for the T140E project!

My father-in-law's got hold of a pair of Mk2 Amals. Maybe this specific bike model (originating from your typical US "barn find") might have had the concentrics but Mk2 is period correct for slightly later Euro models AFAIK.

TBH Amals aren't great carbs but they're at least a known quantity with regards to jetting etc.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Pepperami is happy!
‘Project Scrappy Hyosung’ has taken a small but significant step forward..
I know fk-all about electronicals, but I do know to replace broken stuff if it looks broken.
The left hand controls were fooked, and I found a good replacement.
After much swearing and sweating the replacement has been fitted.
Not as straightforward as you might think.

I can now operate the choke and thus start the engine Shocked Smile Thumbs Up .
The engine runs fine and revs throughout it’s range, just a little bit quick on tick-over.

I now have indicators also Shocked Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in the nick of time, before the rain, I got this done. The long overdue replacement of starter clutch springs and rollers.

This was a messy, annoying job. I've been putting it off for quite a while. But, one in every 5 times I tried to start it, the bike would clatter horribly. A noise that would give a bad impression. An outsider might at first think "nice bike", but then think "what an old junker" once they heard that noise. Glad I got it done, but, as always, I hope I did it right... All buttoned back up and complete, with a new Athena gasket - hope it doesn't leak.

https://i.ibb.co/pxbBtWZ/starterclutchrepair.png

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the wires are now stuffed in the headlamp bucket:

https://i.imgur.com/XnM4W61.jpg?1

Oh, and the braided HT leads are on. Looking very tidy at the back:

https://i.imgur.com/zMWKnGh.jpg?1

Might put a bit of tape around those wires though.

Just for a bit of fun we checked the compression. ~100 and ~110 and the spec is 121psi so nothing worth worrying about. Still left to do: check valve clearances, fit the Amal Mk2 carbs, tank and panels still at the coachworks.

Fucker better be rideable after all this Very Happy

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 27 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent many hours tweaking the spring steel reed in a King Of The Road horn trying to persuade it to honk properly.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked mine up from the floor because I forgot about the disk lock and tried to ride off.

B1N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:01 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I picked mine up from the floor because I forgot about the disk lock and tried to ride off.

What you should do is carry a fresh honeydew melon with you everywhere you go, when you fit the disc lock put the melon in your helmet, next time you try to put your helmet on you will find a melon in it and it will remind you to take off the disc lock. Very Happy

Or you could just buy one of these...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154927614027?hash=item241267c84b:g:rSgAAOSw9HtiRxng

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd engine test of the T140E project:

https://i.imgur.com/uJra5vl.jpg?1

This time with the Amal Mk2 carbs:

https://i.imgur.com/IkzawAj.jpg?1

Started on the second kick and given these are a left hand / right hand pair took about 5mins to adjust the idle and mixture screws. The bike certainly seems to like "proper" carbs a lot more than the £15 eBay specials Smile

We had a good feeling until we stopped for a cup of tea and went to start it again. Fuck all - not even a splutter Sad Upon examination of the plugs 'twas revealed they were bone dry. I suspect the converted spray-gun tank arrangement has a blockage but we may as well wait till the real tank comes back from the painters before trying again as the old fella is desperate for a road trial.

B1N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:34 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
2nd engine test of the T140E project:

https://i.imgur.com/uJra5vl.jpg?1

This time with the Amal Mk2 carbs:

https://i.imgur.com/IkzawAj.jpg?1

Started on the second kick and given these are a left hand / right hand pair took about 5mins to adjust the idle and mixture screws. The bike certainly seems to like "proper" carbs a lot more than the £15 eBay specials Smile

We had a good feeling until we stopped for a cup of tea and went to start it again. Fuck all - not even a splutter Sad Upon examination of the plugs 'twas revealed they were bone dry. I suspect the converted spray-gun tank arrangement has a blockage but we may as well wait till the real tank comes back from the painters before trying again as the old fella is desperate for a road trial.

Looking grand that is. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 21 of 48