Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit 600s not starting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:22 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Bandit 600s not starting Reply with quote

Howdie!

I've got a bandit 600s on a 03 plate which has been stood for a whole (about 2 and a half years!). I've put a new battery on it, freed off the clutch as the clutch wasn't working properly and tried to start it, everything lights up as expected but when I push the start button nothing. No click, no sound nothing. Everything is lit up as it should be!

I've pulled the tank off, checked all the fuses and cleaned each and every connector I could find and still nothing, tried bump starting it and it fires but doesn't start.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas where to go next? Not the most mechanical of people but I'm trying my best so any advice is massively appreciated!

Thanks,
Liam

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the neutral light is on it's going to be the clutch switch, the run switch or the start button.

Or the alarm.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the green line in the image below it shows the electrical path from fuse 3 to the starter.

Given that the bike fires, it's not the stop switch (run switch) because that also feeds the coild and if they weren't getting power then the bike would not even attempt to fire. That leaves the start switch/button and the clutch swith. It's most likely the clutch switch. Most probably it's just stuck in.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:44 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete, will give all those a go but really appreciate it! The clutch switch would make sense and hopefully that's the issue! Is there a way of bypassing it to see if that's the issue?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw Loose wrote:
Thanks Pete, will give all those a go but really appreciate it! The clutch switch would make sense and hopefully that's the issue! Is there a way of bypassing it to see if that's the issue?

Yep just join the wire together. Better to service the switch though it might just be a case of blasting in some penetrating oil though.

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:39 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a pop over to the garage and tried the switch, bit of WD40 through it and nothing still no start.

Poked a bit of wire through both connectors to see if I could effectively short it but still nothing,

How would I check the run switch? Is there any way of bypassing it to rule it in or out?

Thanks again,
Liam

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 22 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to. The orange and white wire that comes out of the run switch (labelled stop switch on the diagram) feeds the coils. You say that it is popping and trying to start when you bumo it, so that switch must be working.

Do you have access to a basic test meter/multimeter? If you do it will help diagnosis.

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:30 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not at the moment but I'll pop out and get one today. Is it just a case of positive to one end of the wire and negative to the other to check each bit of wire? (sorry I'm absolutely no good with electronics!)

Thanks,
Liam

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put the negative on the battery -ve you can trace the electical path with the +ve.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:29 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming this bike was running before it was parked up, the problem is likely to be a sticky switch or corrosion in a connector.

Tracing this is a bit easier if you don't know much about electrics. Just go through every connector you can find, unplug it, scrape out any corrosion you find, and plug it back together.

Also worth finding any earth points - where a wire is bolted to the frame - and cleaning up both the connector and cleaning the rust off the frame where it connects. Rusty earths are always a pain.

Finally, make sure the battery is charged even if it is new. They don't usually arrive fully charged, and you need all the power you can to break through years of subtle corrosion.

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:33 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need to pull the clutch lever before starting with these?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 26 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo123 wrote:
Do you need to pull the clutch lever before starting with these?

EDIT: Yes, the starter will not spin unless the clutch is pulled.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1