View previous topic : View next topic  

jonquirk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always tell non-drivers and non-riders the same things:

Tests keep getting made more complicated;
It’s never going to get cheaper than it is today;
The younger you are, the quicker you are likely to master any training;
They won’t take your licence away if you don’t use it straightaway.
So do it as soon as you are able to and view it as an investment in your future.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonquirk wrote:
I always tell non-drivers and non-riders the same things:

Tests keep getting made more complicated;
It’s never going to get cheaper than it is today;
The younger you are, the quicker you are likely to master any training;
They won’t take your licence away if you don’t use it straightaway.
So do it as soon as you are able to and view it as an investment in your future.

This is very true.

One thing I have noticed since I did my car test in 2007 is that the roads are way more crowded now with double parking everywhere. I think that the congestion, lack of in-town parking and prevalence of every cunt and their dog getting a car on PCP nowadays. It used to be that a household would have one or two cars, now every fucker that lives in it has a car.

The guy that lives two doors down from me has three cars, a van and a caravan that overflows his driveway parking so he parks his surplus on the street. The guy that lives across the road also fucks up the on-street parking where him, his misses, his daughter and her boyfriend all park their cars at the house plus he has a work van. That's just two houses less than 20m away from each other where there are 10 vehicles for two houses.

Parking where I stay is a fucking nightmare and cut throat as fuck. I only have one car that I park as close to home as possible. I've moved both my bikes to my parents who live on the same street and they live in the "bike port" at the back of the house.

I passed my drivers license first time in 2007, I think if I was to do it today I would fail. So long story short, I think the situation is only going to get worse so would advise you do your test now before roads get even busier.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

One thing I have noticed since I did my car test in 2007 is that the roads are way more crowded now with double parking everywhere. I think that the congestion, lack of in-town parking and prevalence of every cunt and their dog getting a car on PCP nowadays. It used to be that a household would have one or two cars, now every fucker that lives in it has a car.

The guy that lives two doors down from me has three cars, a van and a caravan that overflows his driveway parking so he parks his surplus on the street. The guy that lives across the road also fucks up the on-street parking where him, his misses, his daughter and her boyfriend all park their cars at the house plus he has a work van. That's just two houses less than 20m away from each other where there are 10 vehicles for two houses.

Parking where I stay is a fucking nightmare and cut throat as fuck. I only have one car that I park as close to home as possible. I've moved both my bikes to my parents who live on the same street and they live in the "bike port" at the back of the house.

I passed my drivers license first time in 2007, I think if I was to do it today I would fail. So long story short, I think the situation is only going to get worse so would advise you do your test now before roads get even busier.

I have residential/meter parking on my street, although fortunately I have a parking space too off road. I thought it was a shite-arsed trick at first but it sure does put a stop to the kind of rum-cuntery you describe.

I'd be tempted to don some camo' gear and insert a king edward up the appropriate orifice of these nuisance vehicles.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I thought it was a shite-arsed trick at first but it sure does put a stop to the kind of rum-cuntery you describe.

I'd be tempted to don some camo' gear and insert a king edward up the appropriate orifice of these nuisance vehicles.

I know I have no God-given right to on-street parking and as long as the vehicles are taxed, insured and have valid MOTs then it is first-come-first-serve. The thing that really fucks me off though is the second guy who lives across the road. He has a drive way that he could park everything on at the front of his house but the front of his house is actually in a little cul-de-sac where as the rear of his house is on the main road and he goes through a gate in his back garden after parking on the main road because he's too lazy to drive the extra 60 seconds around to his front door. His wife does it too.

Rips my knitting so it does.

When I eventually move to a bigger place away from here I am really tempted to key some cars but probably won't I mean I am a cunt but I am not that kind of cunt.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:37 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007? I have kids older than that.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:50 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the OP can already ride why doesn’t he just pay for odd lessons here and there with a school that provides a bike and insurance? One session coaching on Mod1 quirks, places where you could fail missing your shoulder checks, getting the speed trap right etc. then a couple or three on road to get him straight? The insurance will be sorted by the school, his ability means he shouldn’t be paying for too many lessons and a full A licence means no faffing about with vans or pickups.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're insecure in general? Be happy mate, be happy about everything. Fuck all the nae sayers. Go for it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:01 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Doing licenses without any lessons? Reply with quote

superclarkey wrote:
Hello,

I've booked my CBT and my Theory test for a few weeks time, after that I need to plan the next few steps to gaining full bike license.

From my understanding the Mod1 can be taken on a 125cc motorbike, it is in a closed off area away from the public roads, so I wanted to know if you need insurance on the bike? (I'm presuming yes).

From what I've seen online of people taking the test, the Mod1 is more of displaying handling of the bike then road manors etc, so I can't see why you couldn't practice this on private car park before hand (Luckily my business has a huge car park that I can practice on).

so this comes to the mod2, what size bike/power must you take the test on, and as its on the road it must be fully insured, taxed and Mot etc, this is the only part of the test I could imagine it would be a good idea to get some lessons for, but is it possible to learn these skills before hand yourself to pass this test?

I have loads of mates that said I can borrow their bikes to take the test and as I have trade insurance I can add the bikes to the insurance for the day etc on the MID.

Originally my plan was to buy a cheap 125cc and do Mod1 and mod2, but I can see you can't do that, so your forced to own two bikes from my understanding, and you can't even ride to the test centre on the bigger bike because you'll not be legal to do so without an instructor.

I presume they have made it this way to force you to use a riding school etc?

My end goal is simple, I want to buy a Yamaha WR250F for using off road with some small use on road (Presuming it can be made road legal, question I've asked also), but I require a full license to do this. I have zero interest in super-bikes or commuting to work on such a bike... So there is the reason I'm trying to do it cheap as possible and achieve the end goal without blowing the bank.

If the place I'm riding is more than 30mins away I will be putting it on the back of my Hilux and driving there! Very Happy

I'm 38years old by the way, driving a car since 2001, run and own a motorsport company, where we deal with high performance track cars, etc, never had a road crash and never had a single point on my driving license, so please afford me a little wiggle room on your opinions as I'm not fresh out of the gate. However saying that I've only ever ridden Motor-cross bikes, so my biggest worry is being caught not using the clutch between gears or popping that fast leg out Very Happy

Hopefully we can have a little discussions without "JUST GET LESSONS OTHERWISE YOU"LL DIE INSTANTLY", if thats you... step away from keyboard and chill Smile

Thank you.

TLDRA

Direct Access..

DFA (Don't Fuk Aboot)

Dont know current £££ sure its searchable.

Buy a Track Bike.
LLLL (Live life Like a Lad. Cool )

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The good old days back when I was 17 and care-free Crying or Very sad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The good old days back when I was 17 and care-free Crying or Very sad

Rule of life: You have failed at care-free if you live to tell the tail.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The population increase since 2008 is approximately 6,000,000 people, in the same time we have built around 2,000,000 homes.

Over approximately the same period the number of cars on the road has only increased by 2,000,000

The issue is not that people can buy more cars, the numbers show we actually own less cars per person. The issue is that housing is more crowded.

If we built enough houses the cars would be more distributed and local streets would feel much less cramped.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:37 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I went down the DAS route which was ideal for me as only ever rode around L plates on a 125.

Will probably get flamed for this but although not exactly "legal" - couldn't the OP borrow a friends 600+cc bike, either pillion to test centre or on trailer for the tests? I don't recall being asked about insurance

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

The population increase since 2008 is approximately 6,000,000 people, in the same time we have built around 2,000,000 homes.

Over approximately the same period the number of cars on the road has only increased by 2,000,000

The issue is not that people can buy more cars, the numbers show we actually own less cars per person. The issue is that housing is more crowded.

If we built enough houses the cars would be more distributed and local streets would feel much less cramped.

Yeah and 'homes' include flats which are now getting permission to be built without parking.. Case in point old school near me has redevelopment approval for 50+ 1 or 2 bed flats but less than half will have a parking space.. FFS. Councils spokesman said resident will walk or cycle to shops work etc.. - my fucking hairy arse they will.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Yeah and 'homes' include flats which are now getting permission to be built without parking.. Case in point old school near me has redevelopment approval for 50+ 1 or 2 bed flats but less than half will have a parking space.. FFS. Councils spokesman said resident will walk or cycle to shops work etc.. - my fucking hairy arse they will.

There's newish flats and maisonettes near us where parking is an absolute nightmare. No driveways, no garages, narrow roads. Cars crammed in everywhere.

There was, at least, a communal car park. Until two years ago when they bulldozed it and built more flats.

This is on the edge of a brownfield ex-industrial site. Plenty of space to build properly there.

jonquirk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The planners seem to think that if they make parking difficult people will decide to do without a car. What they are missing is that difficulties with parking pale into insignificance compared to the difficulty most people have living without a car.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
I went down the DAS route which was ideal for me as only ever rode around L plates on a 125.

Will probably get flamed for this but although not exactly "legal" - couldn't the OP borrow a friends 600+cc bike, either pillion to test centre or on trailer for the tests? I don't recall being asked about insurance

Provide more context. If you're on about turning up for a Mod 1 test on a 600 and not being asked for insurance details that's because you did it via a school, right? The insurance obligations are on them. If the examiners or test centre people wanted to check any insurance details it's them they would've asked, not the pupil. You don't turn up at the centre for your Mod 1 without an instructor, after all.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
'homes' include flats which are now getting permission to be built without parking

Actually the real point is that they are not allowed to be built with what you or I would consider adequate parking... this isn't simply the fault of developers.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 15 May 2022    Post subject: Comedy value. Reply with quote

Many years ago, sketch shows took the piss out of 'bloke said down the pub' type characters. Now, they thrive on the internet.

How many ponds do you want to gamble that OP regards himself as a professional in his field and would not entertain similar idiots for very long?

But, got to get his licence done cheap coz skills!

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:38 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:

Provide more context. If you're on about turning up for a Mod 1 test on a 600 and not being asked for insurance details that's because you did it via a school, right? The insurance obligations are on them. If the examiners or test centre people wanted to check any insurance details it's them they would've asked, not the pupil. You don't turn up at the centre for your Mod 1 without an instructor, after all.

I did the test through a school so used the school's bikes etc.

One of my friends did the test by turning up on the back of a friends 600cc (ie own bike) mod1 and mod2; the examiners didn't seem to mind but this was a long time ago around 5 or 6 years

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have heard of that kind of thing happening but it's always a bit sketchy, as in, "this guy I once knew". Theoretically it CAN be done, but as this and so many other threads on the subject show, "they" don't want it to be.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
I did the test through a school so used the school's bikes etc.

One of my friends did the test by turning up on the back of a friends 600cc (ie own bike) mod1 and mod2; the examiners didn't seem to mind but this was a long time ago around 5 or 6 years

Shieldhall Test Centre in Glasgow when I was doing my MOD 1, they asked a boy on his own bike (125cc) to provide insurance details while I was there. I didn't see it as it happened earlier in the day but apparently there was a bit of a kick off because they turned a guy away on account of not wearing adequate gear.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:28 - 17 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wont have to block book a DAS course at every school

the one I learned with, dont even do that, its on a lesson by lesson basis, if you learn to pass quickly your quids in, if you need longer, you need longer, simple as that

I preferred it that way tbh

If you think you might only need 2-3 lessons, sorted, everything done for under £500

rb3rbrtberb
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:46 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say, this is going to be my very last post, so just wanted to thank everyone for their positive comments, its really much appreciated and very helpful in making my decision.

Its a shame biking isn't as accessible as I thought it would be without spending £1500 and 30-50h worth of training, one day when the government decides they want this very over complicated processed streamlined and its more straightforward where you can just do a simple bike test to show your ride a bike regardless of CC restrictions, I will be first to sign up. (Just like when the gov decided that trailer licenses B+E that we had to take to prove we could hook a trailer up safely and could be trusted to pull a 3.5t trailer behind our vehicle safely is no longer required and everyone can just do it without zero experience).

End of the day, if bikers what more people to become bikers and be part of this, then they need to make it simpler to get licensed, not "easer" just more straightforward.

I've bought an bike in the end, a Motor cross offroad only bike, a 2023 KTM 300SX two stroke, which is now on order.. I took that £1500 I was going to waste on a bike license and put it towards a long wheel base, high roof van which I can put a sofa in the back of while I'm track side enjoying the bike Smile

Take care everyone, thanks again.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, given your requirements, this is honestly the best outcome for you. Good luck and enjoy!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck mate enjoy the bike
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4