Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aftermarket cooling fans?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:46 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Aftermarket cooling fans? Reply with quote

Hi all. Looking to install a second fan on my 1991 Africa Twin. It only has a fan on one radiator, I've seen people install a second with a manual override switch.

Was just looking around, and I can find a second hand fan for £40 including shipping, but I'm wondering if a modern fan would be "better"? Better in this context would probably mean more efficient so it drains the battery less, and good cooling flow, although I assume they are all much the same when it comes to that?

So yeah, pay £40 for a 30 year old fan, or get a new one? Thanks.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:57 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why. Is it overheating?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other option is to fit a manual switch in parallel with the temp sender on the radiator to give you manual control over the fan, but keep the automatic function going should you forget... Considered doing this to my 929 for if/when I was stuck in traffic but never got around to it.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:30 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Why. Is it overheating?

In stop start traffic it can, yes. Above 30mph it will go all day and run cool, but it doesn't like sitting still for long. Hot climate doesn't help. I don't know if it's hot enough to cause damage, but it's hot enough to make me concerned that it might.

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Other option is to fit a manual switch in parallel with the temp sender on the radiator to give you manual control over the fan, but keep the automatic function going should you forget... Considered doing this to my 929 for if/when I was stuck in traffic but never got around to it.

I could, but if I add a second fan I will have manual and automatic functions, but with twice the air flow. I can stick the manual on when I see the temp needle creeping up and if it really doesn't like it the automatic will kick in as well.

I guess to not drain the battery I would want a fan with lower wattage? Wattage is what determines power draw correct?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, wattage is power and calculated by multiplying the current in amps by the voltage. So you're right, a higher wattage unit will drain more power from the electric system/battery. Barring relatively small differences in motor efficiencies and fan blade design, wattage is however going to be directly proportional to cooling capability, so if you're wanting to increase cooling you're going to increase power drain. If the issue was on the move, you could theoretically improve things with a second radiator (which wouldn't affect your power drain) but if your issue is with very slow riding and therefore not much air movement, you'll probably need a fan on it to move the air, so you're back to square one.

I would look closely at the state of the radiator you've got. If there are a load of bent fins from stone impacts over the years, or it's full or crud, or both, then it won't be as efficient as it could be. If it is in a bad state, I'd start with getting a new radiator which will be a lot less faffy than trying to install secondary cooling fans (which again won't reach their potential if the radiator is in a bad way).

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fast tick over / idle speed with a very weak mixture could cause more heat.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:56 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, people ride the length of Africa on them totally standard so you have to wonder if there's another factor at play. In addition to the above, worth checking the thermostatic valve is fully opening too.

What about fitting a higher spec oil cooler? No power draw there.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There anything on the clocks/dash that can tell you the current coolant temperature? How hot is it getting?

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:19 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Yes, wattage is power and calculated by multiplying the current in amps by the voltage. So you're right, a higher wattage unit will drain more power from the electric system/battery. Barring relatively small differences in motor efficiencies and fan blade design, wattage is however going to be directly proportional to cooling capability, so if you're wanting to increase cooling you're going to increase power drain. If the issue was on the move, you could theoretically improve things with a second radiator (which wouldn't affect your power drain) but if your issue is with very slow riding and therefore not much air movement, you'll probably need a fan on it to move the air, so you're back to square one.

Thanks. The bike already has 2 radiators (and a third, smaller, for the oil cooler) but only has a fan on one. It's a common mod to add a second fan, the only difficulty is building a mounting bracket to join it to the second radiator.

Easy-X wrote:
There anything on the clocks/dash that can tell you the current coolant temperature? How hot is it getting?

There is a temp guage, and I don't like it when it strays into the red. Not sure how hot it is, but red.

jaffa90 wrote:
A fast tick over / idle speed with a very weak mixture could cause more heat.

Could also be that yes, I plan to clean and adjust the carbs, but removing them is a big-ish job and I don't have a garage.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 17:31 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1992 BMW R100GSPD would chuck along fine moving in Morocco/Sahara in heat in the mid 40,s but sitting in traffic in London the bike would start to overheat (oil temperature to the point the oil would start breaking down). Air movement makes a big difference on both air cooled and water cooled engines.

I have never had to fit a second fan before but have found that a manual override switch wired in parallel works very well to put the fan on long before the bike thermostat does. Both my ZZR600s had this for riding in heavy traffic.

I have also changed out the thermostat switch on a KLR650 to a lower range so the fan would kick on sooner at a lower temperature this worked quite well as a automatic solution without the need for a manual switch.

One interesting caveat with a manual fan switch is to make sure it is off when taking a dual-sport/dirt bike though deep water as the cooling fan will break if it water hits the blades while running. Not that many riders will face this but l have seen it happen on one bike.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guys done it,( link below) looks easy enough.
Going by his negligible voltage drop and the physical size of the fans
they don't draw much power.
It looks like he knocked up some brackets and fitted a
stock (SH?) one on the left rad.
Personally I'd go new as many bike fans don't lend themselves to
easy fitment of new brushes and you don't know what sort of life will be left in a SH one.

This 7" push/pull type on Ebay is just £17.50
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284657635386?

It says it's 80W but I suspect that's Chinese watts, the
10" one on my old CX was more like 50W and didn't half shift some air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-w0xe2gYFs

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:07 - 26 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
This guys done it,( link below) looks easy enough.
Going by his negligible voltage drop and the physical size of the fans
they don't draw much power.
It looks like he knocked up some brackets and fitted a
stock (SH?) one on the left rad.
Personally I'd go new as many bike fans don't lend themselves to
easy fitment of new brushes and you don't know what sort of life will be left in a SH one.

This 7" push/pull type on Ebay is just £17.50
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284657635386?

It says it's 80W but I suspect that's Chinese watts, the
10" one on my old CX was more like 50W and didn't half shift some air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-w0xe2gYFs

Perfect, great to know the voltage drop isn't significant. And yes, that's how I was planning to mount it. Seen it done before and it makes sense. Also makes sense to get a new fan, sad in a way not to run stock but it seems silly to pay £40 for second hand, 30+ year old parts when it's such an unsubstantial/inconsequential part.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1