Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda remote preload adjusters. Fluids and bleeding?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:24 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Honda remote preload adjusters. Fluids and bleeding? Reply with quote

Got a VFR1200 shock for my 750 project. It has a remote preload adjuster but I think it'll need to be more remote than it is. It's connected by what's effectively a brake hose with standard banjo connectors so should just be a case of fitting a longer line.

The question is, what fluid does it contain and how do I bleed it? There's absolutely nothing in the official workshop manual. I suspect the bleeding procedure will become fairly self-explanatory when I get in there but it doesn't hurt to ask. I suspect it may just be a case of brimming it like you do with bicycle brakes

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty about what fluid is supposed to be in there. It's likely some sort of hydraulic oil? I have some of that green hydrostatic suspension fluid they use in citroens, in the absence of any contrary advice, I'll bung that in it.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:42 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put hydraulic jack oil in my Pan European remote. Worked fine. I have also heard of fork oil being used. I bled mine by topping it right off but leaving the banjo bolt a bit loose, then started screwing the adjuster in till oil started leaking out, then tightened the banjo. Lost a couple of clicks of adjustment but meh.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:31 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if it was going to be mineral oil based, water based or like brake fluid.

My final test in the absence of anything was going to be to try to mix what was in there with water, if it floated, I was going mineral oil, if it mixed in I was going for dot 4 and if it emulsified, I was going for hydroelastic fluid.

I think I've got some belray fork oil left over. Honda had a hard-on for that stuff in the 90's. Failing that, good old ATF should do the trick.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1