Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I found an interesting product on Kickstarter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  
MikeJansen This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-year warranty.
Laughing
Spam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:52 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Re: I found an interesting product on Kickstarter Reply with quote

MikeJansen wrote:
Hi

How much money have you given them?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:50 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fit any decent mosfet one and you're good to go. I've had a CBR600R one I got at an autojumble for £25 on my VFR for 10 years now.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 23 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone's discovered the brand new technology of MOSFETs Laughing

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/037/252/333/c3134e15b15135c3c65764ee1f3e9ab5_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-4.0.2&w=680&fit=max&v=1652168458&gif-q=50&q=92&s=cc701f47a5a7b8dfae328e1dae3e7341

Who the fuck mounts it there??

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:50 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting but the Kickstarter campain is lacking any technical data relevant so I'd have zero intention in buying your product...

Is this actually a SMPS step-down regulator? If so then this shit is great idea and if executed correctly you have a great product.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolu wrote:
I'd have zero intention in buying your product...

Think you made a mistake there, it's not the OP's product - it's just something he found online and thought we'd be interested in. Clear?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is it £95 Shocked

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of reg/recs go on the VFR when I first got it. Then I bought one which had cooling fins (that's all I honestly know about it, I got it from David Silver probably) and it's been fine for about 10 years now.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s concerning that the ‘inventor’ thinks reg/recs fail because they overheat when driven in a hot city.

Quote:
This problem mainly occurs on warm and sunny days, especially when driving through built-up urban areas and dense cities. The voltage regulator/rectifier is unable to stay cool through driving wind due to a combination of warm ambient temperature and slow speeds

They fail due to increased electrical resistance somewhere in the charging system, usually a failing battery, a corroded/dirty connector or a damaged/narrow gauge section of loom.

Good stuff here.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:34 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
It’s concerning that the ‘inventor’ thinks reg/recs fail because they overheat when driven in a hot city.

Quote:
This problem mainly occurs on warm and sunny days, especially when driving through built-up urban areas and dense cities. The voltage regulator/rectifier is unable to stay cool through driving wind due to a combination of warm ambient temperature and slow speeds

They fail due to increased electrical resistance somewhere in the charging system, usually a failing battery, a corroded/dirty connector or a damaged/narrow gauge section of loom.

Good stuff here.

Maybe not so much with VFR ones. The frame on those bikes gets REALLY hot in town or if ridden hard, almost too hot to touch. So bolting a reg/rec to it with no cooling fins then covering it with a taipiece plastic to keep the wind off will do absolutely nothing for the heat-sinking.

my solution was to a) Use a Mosfet. b) Use one with cooling fins and c) Stand it off from the frame on an alloy plate. With an option of d) Drill some holes in the tailpiece for airflow which I did on my '91 model (the '92 model has slots there, so they obviously knew they'd done wrong)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXQEQirubLHgd3Fqb9QaeXwGgPSblJemyzPJ1YqIbtFsrEoA-axb05lTvIjX0XZIllSs4wZh5ECLIC2_JZoJWoC6QTGdaLP-qQMFW__VnPvEmQikNMiWLJoLR6TkS9WoVuzGt46pdJWDur1rxnFRhv3=w1576-h886-no

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not convinced that’s the VFR’s problem. If the reg/rec is heating the frame it’s heat-sinking. Even the recommended Yamaha R1 replacements don’t have massive finning. Excessive heat is a symptom, not a cause. Fix the problem of high electrical resistance instead of trying to add more cooling to compensate.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:22 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc van Erp and MikeJansen are the new Adam Aaronses?

https://ultimaterectifier.com/

The shitty website could be less shitty and they've only got 57 likes on Facebook. Shocked

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:34 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I’m not convinced that’s the VFR’s problem. If the reg/rec is heating the frame it’s heat-sinking.

It's the engine and proximity of a lot of exhaust in a very small space that's heating the frame. It gets very hot. Hot enough so you wouldn't leave your bare hand on it for very long. I don't think the original unfinned reg/recs stood much chance, after a good ride, the reg/rec would be sitting at about 45 degrees even if it wasn't doing anything.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1