Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Reliability on early/mid 00's Ducati..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:44 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reliability on early/mid 00's Ducati.. Reply with quote

Hola,

I have the urge to grab another bike, and I really fancy a go with a Ducati..

Not wanting to splurge too much, but something like;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325194859651?hash=item4bb71fc483:g:hdgAAOSwH9VihVzr

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154989519990?hash=item2416186476:g:qvwAAOSwOjJiIIYW

Both of those appeal, I prefer the styling of the 848, but I have a nostalgic love for the 999.

I've steered away from what I would like, an RSVR because I really don't rate Aprilia but I do want some Italian fun times and Ducati is the other big boy with sports...

Welcome any input, I have debated a hypermotard, but I presume I'd be underwhelmed vs a proper SM type bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO direct experience but bro had a 916 which he never rode. Spend £1000s on servicing (cam belts etc.. )just in case he did ride it.

OK as long as you keep on top of the servicing is my estimation.

PS love the fact that the seller of 999 couldn't bear to take a pic of it's front end.. the face only a mother could love.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

PS love the fact that the seller of 999 couldn't bear to take a pic of it's front end.. the face only a mother could love.

Agreed - after loving the looks of the 996/998, going to THAT was a bit of a " Sick WTF they thinkin'" moment.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave2k had a 749 for a few years. He really liked it, and it didn't have any particular issues. It's fairly well accepted that the 999/749 era was a turning point for Ducati and reliability, but they aren't exactly a soughtafter shape.

I think as long as you don't treat it like a Honda or Suzuki you'll be OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely think the styling of the 999 is so hated purely because what came before (and after) is so much prettier by contrast.

If the 999 had been a Suzuki or something, I think it would be thought of much more positively as the bold, interesting and genuinely distinctive design that it is. Neither original Katanas or Hayabusas are pretty, but that doesn't stop them being iconic.

I like the 999... but I'd still probably end up buying the 848 out of the two. Although, that particular one does seem to have slightly wonky cans, and the front right headlight seems to have a slight gap with the fairing, so I'd be giving it a careful look over.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outwith the budget you're looking at with those other ones but I saw this as a related ad and instantly got bricked up Embarassed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165493852524

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FgYAAOSwepdia~cV/s-l1600.jpg

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Outwith the budget you're looking at with those other ones but I saw this as a related ad and instantly got bricked up Embarassed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165493852524

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FgYAAOSwepdia~cV/s-l1600.jpg

Interesting decals because in my experience there's a formula: Ducati + Manchester = Nicked

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

...this...

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise how badly they have dated. Definatly not one of Ducatis prettier bikes.

Out of the 2 I'd have the 848 but if I was really after a pretty 00's Italian sportsbike I'd be looking at MV even though they have proper reliability issues. Laughing

edited because ZenDog has pointed out my reality issues, (is that an illness?)

Last edited by Polarbear on 19:40 - 24 May 2022; edited 1 time in total

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'd be looking at MV even though they have proper reality issues. Laughing

I can confirm MV's are in fact real. I touched one once.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:55 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the 999 isn't everyones cup of tea at all.

I fully intend to view and go over bikes before parting with cash monies, its just 2 that appeared at the top of my search/budget, which can be expanded a little.

I do like the 848 in terms of modern looks, but I have always had a soft spot for the 999.

I just feel in terms of reliability... I wouldn't want to have to invest heavily in recovery Laughing

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the looks 848 a bit better although it's not as individual looking as the 999.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:05 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Reliability on early/mid 00's Ducati.. Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Hola,
I've steered away from what I would like, an RSVR because I really don't rate Aprilia but I do want some Italian fun times and Ducati is the other big boy with sports...

Why not the RSVR? Would take a Rotax engine over a Ducati's, just keep battery topped up to avoid sprag clutch problems, all should be fine if looked after though. Having said that go for the 848 if you can afford it.

Honda434
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:11 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 999 look better now then they did when they were new but I had a 748. I’d probably go for the 848 I think it’s got more classic ducati style

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:19 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Reliability on early/mid 00's Ducati.. Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
Why not the RSVR?

I rate the engine. Every Aprilia owner, me included, every bike I have seen has been an electrical nightmare. Laughing I prefer to not get stranded. I expect its a gamble and you mostly will get a good one, but every one I have ridden or known of, be it my own RS, Blackwolfs Tuono, Nemos Mille, C_dugs shiver(I think)... all have gone pop for some unknown reason Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A m8 bought a 748 in yellow .. we were outside minchellas in South Shields seafront when it refused to start.. most of the local bikin self important were there.. he had to remove most of the fairing plastics and fcuk about wit various electronic bits inside.. took so long I had to switch off me R1 cos it started to overheating.. eventually got it going.. was the final straw in a long list of mechanical and electrical problems.. got rid not that long after..

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
A m8 bought a 748 in yellow .. we were outside minchellas in South Shields seafront when it refused to start.. most of the local bikin self important were there.. he had to remove most of the fairing plastics and fcuk about wit various electronic bits inside.. took so long I had to switch off me R1 cos it started to overheating.. eventually got it going.. was the final straw in a long list of mechanical and electrical problems.. got rid not that long after..

Mate of mine had one. I can't remember it ever letting him down, although it was a Sunday morning special. I loved riding that bike...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:00 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of why I don't want an older one, the 748 has weird headlights and personally I find them, along with the old SS ones really ugly Laughing

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 12:45 - 26 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, is the stigma still true of older Ducatis and electrical issues?

I was warned not to get a Ducati or Aprilia... had a few of each and never had any issues. The RSV4 RF was an incredible bike, never skipped a beat but a mate had the exact same one and had nothing but problems... guess it's luck of the draw.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:02 - 26 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Mmm, is the stigma still true of older Ducatis and electrical issues?

I was warned not to get a Ducati or Aprilia... had a few of each and never had any issues. The RSV4 RF was an incredible bike, never skipped a beat but a mate had the exact same one and had nothing but problems... guess it's luck of the draw.

KTM are supposed to be the worst for electrical gremlins these days. Ducati have been getting steadily better since the very late 90s. Aprilia can be hit and miss...

I wouldn't want an MV except as a thing to look at though, I have a friend with one and it's worked for about four weeks in the near 6 years he's had it.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:32 - 27 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a RSV very very cheap as it had the (well documented in this thread ) electrical gremlins.

It turned out that it was nothing more than a worn loom at the headstock. It took about 2 hours and 4 cups of teas to diagnose and sort.

I'd have one again in a heartbeat, it was very very good at pretty much everything. Had a nice character about it too. Its a taller alternative to the 848/999 variant as well. The 848 in particular looks tiny, but like the 916, you tend to sit "in" it, rather than "on" it.

Trying to sit bolt upright for any period of time on a 916 type Ducati can be somewhat "challenging" ...... but i guess it was never designed for that ....

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 27 May 2022    Post subject: Re: Reliability on early/mid 00's Ducati.. Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Irezumi wrote:
Why not the RSVR?

I rate the engine. Every Aprilia owner, me included, every bike I have seen has been an electrical nightmare. Laughing I prefer to not get stranded. I expect its a gamble and you mostly will get a good one, but every one I have ridden or known of, be it my own RS, Blackwolfs Tuono, Nemos Mille, C_dugs shiver(I think)... all have gone pop for some unknown reason Laughing

Dodgy earth I think on mine. It did sort of fix itself after a couple of weeks and I still use it very regularly for commuting. Every now and then it throws the same "urgent service" error but a quick cycle of the ignition fixes it.

On the other hand, it's great fun and makes sexy noises even with standard cans. I'd own another Aprilia.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 27 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a 999 for a couple of years, did plenty of miles on it with zero problems. Great bike to ride, corners on rails and grunty engine

I have always liked the looks, and they do look better in the flesh. See the one you linked has termis on, they're not cheap.

Go for it.

OGR

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:59 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 2 Ducatis, a heavily modified 748 from 2000 and an S2r 800 Monster from 2006.

No electrical problems with either.

'Exact start' do upgraded cables which seem to help with starting, regulator / rectifiers can fail (as they do on lots of other bikes) but Triumph ones fit so you don't have to pay 'Ducati tax'

Belts for the Monster are not much and take me about an hour to change. I haven't looked at the 748 yet, they were done before I bought it so won't need doing for another year. 'Exact fit' also do belts.

If the batteries aren't fully charged then you can have problems with sprag bearings failing, as do Triumphs and KTMs of a similar age.

I doubt they're any less reliable than any other 20 year old bike.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:19 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fancy a go with a Ducati but what you really want is a CBR250RR from struan80?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2