Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cable broadband.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Cable broadband..... Reply with quote

I've hummed and haa'd about changing from BT to a cheaper broadband and now it's hit £60 a months it's got to go.

We have city fibre fitted in the street and the providers are Vodafone, Zen, TalkTalk, Fibrehop, Gyganet and ID net. Firstly I've only heard of Vodafone and TalkTalk, the thers not. Are any with good or bad reputations I should or shouldn't even consider?

Also there are speeds available from them from 100mbps to 900mbps. (except Zen which only supplies 900mbps). I've always paid for the best speed available but do I really need 900mbps when there is at most 3 tv's streaming at the same time (and that would be rarely) Will I really notice the difference between the 50 or so mbps I get now with BT and these stupidly fast offerings.

Prices start around £25 for the 100mbps and up to the £45 for 900mbps. Pretty much all the companies are the same so I'm rather stumped at which to go for. Probably edging towards Vodafone simply because they are a 'big' company.

Any comments appreciated.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 60mpbs and its fine. 100mbps would be absolutely fine for what you need. 900 is massive overkill unless you work from home and your job involves working with large datasets in software/science/engineering constantly or in video production or something. Games, streamed video etc are all heavily compressed. Google recommends 20mbps for 4K and 5mbps for 1080p, x3 TVs and that is still only 60mbps so well within the 100mbps. Quite honestly you're just pissing money away at 900.

Anyway I thought you lived on a Canal? Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:05 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you getting from BT for £60 a month?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

30gb would be more than enough speed. my last provider was Hyperoptic. i think it was £17 a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 24 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Shafted.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:53 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
I have 60mpbs and its fine. 100mbps would be absolutely fine for what you need. 900 is massive overkill unless you work from home and your job involves working with large datasets in software/science/engineering constantly or in video production or something. Games, streamed video etc are all heavily compressed. Google recommends 20mbps for 4K and 5mbps for 1080p, x3 TVs and that is still only 60mbps so well within the 100mbps. Quite honestly you're just pissing money away at 900.

Anyway I thought you lived on a Canal? Thinking

I thought that was probably the case. 100mbps is fast enough so that's a good saving.

I have a boat and a house. I split my time between both and live on the boat more in summer than winter. I've got 3 wireless broadband on the boat which just about powers a firestick on a good day. Evil or Very Mad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:57 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Ste wrote:

Shafted.

Correct. It went up the best part of £10 in April. I tried to get a reduction but the best they offered was BT Halo3 at a pound a month less than I'm paying now, whatever BT Halo is.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:14 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
BT Halo3 at a pound a month less than I'm paying now, whatever BT Halo is.

"Already have broadband with us? You could add BT Halo 3 from as little as £1 extra a month"

"You'll get a free upgrade to Full Fibre 100 as soon as it's available in your area - giving you an ultrafast connection direct to your door."

"New Hybrid Connect works hand in hand with your Smart Hub 2 to automatically connect you to EE's network. So, if you're moving home or your broadband line goes down, you'll have a back-up connection."

https://www.bt.com/exp/halo

Your sixty pounds gets you line rental and bt fibre broadband?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vodafone offer a discounted price if you're already a customer. Gonna use that as leverage to drive down my Virgin Media price next time it comes up for renewal Smile

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks. Get the fastest you can. Better to have and not need than need and not have Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Virgin?
Currently doing an offer of £17 for 100 MBPS: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/compare-broadband-deals/tip-9697

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 25 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
What about Virgin?
Currently doing an offer of £17 for 100 MBPS: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/compare-broadband-deals/tip-9697

Can't get virgin where I live. It's the Cityfibre system which only have the suppliers I mentioned at the top of the page unless I stay on the openreach network which seems a stupid idea when cable is available.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1