A question of balance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Mr Pinky, what would it take for you to send a CBT person away after 20 minutes?

Probably an injury.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:02 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How frequently do you get people who aren't safe enough for you to take on the road riding bit of the CBT?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of schools round my area are just bi-annual rubber stamps for the Deliveroo crowd; ppl wanting to genuinely ride a motorcycle are in the minority Sad

I do recall being offered a YBR125 and refusing: "no, give me this chinese piece of shit. If I can ride that I can ride anything" and apart from a game of hunt-the-neutral it was fine Smile

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
How frequently do you get people who aren't safe enough for you to take on the road riding bit of the CBT?

It happens. but usually thats after hours on the pad. we often dont get out on road these days until 2pm at the earliest. if someone really struggles we suggest an extra day and keep them on the pad until 3 or 4pm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple piss poor teaching skills. The issue with teaching in groups is that you will come across someone who isn't at the same level as the others and requires more one on one training. Saying that a child can do this or that so you should be able to do stuff is wrong, just very wrong and not helpful at all. When I was an ADI I saw many people who you would have thought would understand simple instructions, but they couldn't, so as an instructor your job was to find a method that suited their learning method, not bully them into your teaching method and if they don't do it that way they must be wrong.

Those teaching the CBT should be able and take into account people who have never ridden, not even a push bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:09 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

as already covered really, find a new school, dont do it on a scooter, make sure their isnt 8 of you etc

on my CBT their was me and 1 other person, I had never been on a bike before in my life

glad you havent let that bad experience put you off

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
It happens. but usually thats after hours on the pad. we often dont get out on road these days until 2pm at the earliest. if someone really struggles we suggest an extra day and keep them on the pad until 3 or 4pm.

Pretty much what happened at my CBT. I was paired with a woman who dropped her bike twice (one time rolled her ankle but after hobbling around and walking it off she got back on the bike again). The instructor told me that she wouldn't get out on the road so I couldn't either as we were a pair so I was going to do more practice in the little compound and then would come back on another day to do the road bit. I didn't get charged for the extra morning as it wasn't my fault I didn't go out on the road.

However, the key difference here is how the instructor and school I had treated the woman in comparison to how Pixo was treated. She literally dropped the bike twice and hurt herself but was allowed to continue. In fact, she wasn't just allowed to continue but she was encouraged to keep going by the instructor. I never saw her again after that, I hope she kept on going. At the end of the day she left in a positive position and said she would come try it again.

I think OP might be shite like Nobby says (it's also fully possible ... and likely that the scoot was a complete fucking nail like OP says), but that isn't the actual problem, the OP can learn but the school needs to give him the chance and time to actually learn.

OP, get yourself to another school and go at it again. Take a geared motorcycle and hopefully the next school will actually work with you on it.

Easy-X, eight people turned up for CBT at my school but we were split up into two groups of 4. 6/8 of the people that were doing CBT were Just-Eat delivery guys Laughing Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Easy-X, eight people turned up for CBT at my school but we were split up into two groups of 4. 6/8 of the people that were doing CBT were Just-Eat delivery guys Laughing Laughing

Half a dozen at mine. 4 just got rubber stamps and left, my now only partner had done his CBT 5 times previously and the instructor thought he was due a refresher Shocked

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all these delivery riders should have a full licence before they can deliver. My reasoning? Because I do that's why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all the above. Sounds like you had a nail for both a bike and for an instructor. Find yourself a better school and try again.

Despite doing thousands of cycle miles a year, I have a recollection I found balancing a 125 geared bike a bit tricky initially (probably concentrating too much on the clutch). Probably took 10 minutes of effort then I got into it, then all was well. Was recommended to go straight onto the DAS at the end of the day which I did and sailed through.

Get a good school and don't be disheartened by what's happened previously - go with an open mind and a clean sheet; you'll be fine.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I think all these delivery riders should have a full licence before they can deliver. My reasoning? Because I do that's why.

I really can't understand why it's legal to ride 'professionally' (ie, 'for hire or reward') on L-plates

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:59 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the industry would die without people getting minimum wage doing the deliveries.

Most of it is gig economy as well so probably not even minimum wage when the running costs are taken into account.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget it's still a massive improvement over the 30mph e-bikes the "other" delivery riders use, the ones that ride footpaths, ped zones, traffic lights don't exist and looking ahead is optional. At least the CBT equipped riders have some culpability.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole delivery business is getting way out of hand. takeaway food for the old or infirm only...

The fact that 'they' advertise forgetting milk and.or butter as a catastrophe close to the end of mankind just shows how ludicrous it's become/becoming

Who want cold soggy McDs either? Hateful nonsense (IMHO).

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Who want cold soggy McDs either? Hateful nonsense (IMHO).

Mate unless you're going to eat your McD's in the McD's carpark straight after getting it handed to you at the drive-thru then it's going to be soggy anyway Laughing

I am a big fat cunt that likes his takeaways and food but McD's is actually a last resort only for me Crying or Very sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:

FFS, you'll be asking them to get proper "Hire or reward" insurance next!

Let's be honest: the whole gig economy is based on fraud. The delivery staff are neither trained, insured or even employees Shocked

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking recently that there's little more than a base expectation of takeaway food and alcohol keeping this whole thing together. It's what urban people now expect as a part of normal, everyday life. It isn't a treat any more. It's an experience of abundance, and a reassurance ritual. Without it, you'd get riots. That's why they'll never do away with the CBT. The fragile peace depends on underinsured and undertrained kids delivering pizza, fried chicken and kebabs around urban areas. It keeps them quiet. Otherwise, the CBT would have been gone, years ago.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:20 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what would you suggest? A return to an old part 1 test before you do a proper test bearing in mind my training to ride a bike was 3 times round the playing field and then fucking off down the road before the owner got chance to stop me
Before you ask, I gave it back.

The 80s was a different world. Cbt means that bike riders are riding to a survivable level.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:34 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and 'not for hire or reward' only applies on categories that carry passengers because to be a bus driver you have to have a psv licence.

My D1 licence (upto 14 seats) says that. My C1 licence gives me freedom to drive anything up to 8.5 tonne with no restrictions.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got any suggestions for improvement. I think it's a pretty good system, but it belongs to a different era. It will have to change or disappear though. Around here, it's getting more and more built-up, and more like London with every passing year. There are e-scooters being used everywhere, illegally. Same with electric bikes. Plus, there are delivery riders with no helmet riding the sit-on type of electric scooter (they look like mopeds) on the pavements. There was a guy who came on this forum who wanted to ride off-road, and who was complaining about the training and licensing process. I don't think he has long to wait before the training system is relegated to being a legacy system. I don't know what will replace it, but I suspect it's just a few years away, and will be a tech-based solution rather than a skills-based one.

If you add together:
induced demand
traffic evaporation policies

then you get low-traffic/zero traffic neighbourhoods. Bike lanes/cycle lanes are a red herring. Bikes that sell around the £1000 mark are e-bikes now (or so I've been told). These things will be modified, the lines between road and pedestrian or cyclist zone or bus zone will be blurred, and the only solution anyone will tolerate is geofencing, GPS tracking, remote locking features, etc. The subscription model means that electric cars are available to most people, and while there are still roads people will "opt out" of the public transport and ebike options, and still get cars. Therefore, I would expect a proliferation of 4-wheeled EVs, an attendant reaction against a return of high traffic levels, and what follows after that a new taxation regime requiring some sort of black box, under the premise that this will reduce 4-wheeled EV congestion. The same tech could be applied to the escooters and ebikes which will replace the 125s and mopeds, and which won't have number plates and will be completely uninsured. That's my best guess as to what may happen. The point being that a blind eye would need to be turned towards e-bikes in the meantime, for all this to happen. Even a requirement to have CBT would be seen as an impediment to the bright green future.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
It keeps them quiet.

Bread and Circuses updated to Deliveroo and Netflix Neutral

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:55 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they had too many trainees and wanted to get rid of someone lol - maybe you were the weakest link (wink)

if you can ride a pushbike you should be able to ride a motorbike, not that much difference really except a motor doing the hard work for you.

So the question is (sorry if you answered it and I missed it) Can you ride a pushbike? if yes, then your CBT certificate is waiting for you.

EDIT - come to think of it, I dropped the bike when I did my CBT and it took us (another trainee and I) 2 days to complete it (not my fault lol).....after CBT I went straight to DAS and the rest, as they say, is history...........keep at it mate.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate unless you're going to eat your McD's in the McD's carpark straight after getting it handed to you at the drive-thru then it's going to be soggy anyway Laughing

Quite.. beats me why people fawn over any of this shite. I like my food piping hot.

I am a big fat cunt ..

Surely not.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
e-scooters

Replying to your post but didn't want to quote the entire thing.

I have argued with many on here about e-scooters, I think everyone probably things that I am against them but I am not. I think e-bikes and e-scooters are absolutely the future of personal transport.

I can easily see people starting to treat their car as something for carrying multiple people or things you couldn't fit in a backpack and then going about the daily life and commute on an e-scooter.

E-scooters are comparatively really cheap and some are fast as fuck. They are light, easy to carry into an office or fold down and lock somewhere. They are easy to charge too.

Like Bhud I can also see that pool cars/ street rental cars will be a thing.

I just want e-scooters and e-bikes to be insured the same way as motorcycles and mopeds can. If they were I would actually consider buying one myself.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Surely not.

I know, it comes as a big surprise to most Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3