Reliability on early/mid 00's Ducati..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:59 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You fancy a go with a Ducati but what you really want is a CBR250RR from struan80?

He won't sell it Laughing

I however appear to not 'fit' the 999, something odd in my geometry I reckon as my god does my chest get in the way.

Haven't found an 848 to sit on yet, but I expect it to be alright. Still waiting on a response back about visiting a local one, but he's slow at responding Rolling Eyes

I'm keeping other options open though, I have started staring at Buell XB12 listings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You fancy a go with a Ducati but what you really want is a CBR250RR from struan80?

Or how about a drz400 that's been ragged so much it died within a few days? Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:43 - 28 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I'm keeping other options open though, I have started staring at Buell XB12 listings.

Flipping cracking bikes. The 12R Firebolt is cheaper than the 12S lightning but is mostly an identical bike underneath. People also say that the 9R bikes are hidden gems too. Less power, but not as much less as you'd think and a touch revvier.

The reason I don't still have one is that mine was just deteriorating a bit and finding parts is just starting to become an issue. The engine mounts are effectively consumables but they aren't really made any more so you're looking for NOS parts hanging around at HD dealers (of which there is a fair bit). They don't need valve adjustments or chain adjustments but they do need care when changing spark plugs and benefit from a spring loaded belt tensioner, a metal drive gear upgrade on the oil pump and a grease nipple on the final drive output. Get a sorted one and it'll handle better than anything short of an Aprilia RS250 or equivalent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:15 - 29 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are winking at me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195063427814?hash=item2d6aafb2e6:g:uGoAAOSwL25iXHsG

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195081348362?hash=item2d6bc1250a:g:EVEAAOSwdJdijbye

I prefer the R because the twin headlights feels too streetfighter, but other than styling and some rust on the R exhaust, I can't really see much difference?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:40 - 29 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That XB12R is really nice. A bit of alloy corrosion on the rear drive wheel sprocket thing, you need to be careful as if the powder coat flakes off it can increase wear on the belt. It doesn't have the factory performance kit though I think, that looks like a standard exhaust. They just don't sound the same with a stock exhaust, but the official Buell race kit can be had second hand for reasonable money.

That one looks in better nick than my last one.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:39 - 29 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently its runnin a dual port exhaust and race ECU on their with no exhaust vavle, presumably thats in the stock one.

Am tempted... whats belt life like, how shit is changing the belt / benefit to getting it powder coated asap to prevent further corrosion?

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:27 - 29 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Worried about Aprilia and Ducati reliability then looking at Buells! Laughing

Had an Aprilia Falco with no electrical faults >40k when I sold it and used in all weathers.

Looked into getting an XB9 a few years after they came out, weighed up they were more hassle than they're worth, great fun though. Street Triple does everything a Buell does day to day and infinitely more reliable. Never understood the Buell handles like a 250 arguement, ridden an NSR250 and a Buell XB9, apart from they are motorcycles they felt very different to me. Thinking

Having said all of that I like bikes which are different and a Buell with a decent exhaust look and sound amazing so get one!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:03 - 29 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Apparently its runnin a dual port exhaust and race ECU on their with no exhaust vavle, presumably thats in the stock one.

Am tempted... whats belt life like, how shit is changing the belt / benefit to getting it powder coated asap to prevent further corrosion?

Belt life is supposed to be 12,000 miles but I never changed one. What you can do is ride it until it snaps and then just fit another. Changing the belt is pretty easy by all accounts.

I had 3 XB Buells, each one I had for over 18 months. The first was about 18 months in all, the second about 2 years, and the third about 5 years or so. None of them let me down. Not once. The second one did burn a bit of oil because the piston rings weren't tempered properly from the factory. That, and a dicky alarm/immobiliser which had an internal battery backup which failed and couldn't be replaced so I had to buy a bypass to remove the alarm module and allow the bike to fire up.

Other than that I had no problems with the bikes. Fantastic brakes, great solid handling, loads of grunt and just hilarious fun.

Do you want me to list all of the electrical problems I've had with all of my Triumphs? Because I will, and it'll be an epic post in the style of Teflon Mike. That's not including the mechanical issues I've had. Also the regulator rectifier issues I've had on Hondas, the seized EXUP valves on Yamahas and the constant issues I've had with my Kwaks.

With a large sample size, I'd say that the Buells are the most reliable make of bikes I've owned, and I've owned a LOT Of bikes.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 29 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I've had. Also the regulator rectifier issues I've had on Hondas, the seized EXUP valves on Yamahas and the constant issues I've had with my Kwaks.

i`ve had one honda fry its regulator rectifier and boil the battery .. since 1983 ... yamaha exup systems require a strip and re grease once a year .. hours job .. never any problems ...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:43 - 29 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My triumph was very reliable, my Honda and Kawasaki were the polar opposite. My Yamaha nearly left me stranded in Spain.

I expect a few niggles with any manufacturer but I haven't really seen anything horrible with Buells. Seen worse with Ducati and that's not phased me though Laughing

The more I go into Aprilia territory the more the RSV looks good, but I feel it's going to be a tough gamble.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 17:27 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

KTM are supposed to be the worst for electrical gremlins these days. Ducati have been getting steadily better since the very late 90s. Aprilia can be hit and miss...

Had a Husqvarna 701 (which is a KTM) and no electrical issues with that. Although it did blow a hole in the engine casing from some sort of recall that I was only made aware of after it happened.

2020 KTM 1290R - Pulled up on the drive a few months ago and turned it off to open the garage. Wouldn't turn back on. As they're keyless, it wouldn't turn the screen on at all. Turned out it was the button, maybe some moisture or something but they replaced the button unit under warranty and it was fine.

2020 KTM 690 SMC-R - Not had any issues with this, even been to Scotland and back on it and never skipped a beat.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:38 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
The more I go into Aprilia territory the more the RSV looks good, but I feel it's going to be a tough gamble.

Try and get a go on one and a Tuono if you want to go down this route. As long as you keep on top of the battery being charged up/the sprag clutch it should be pretty reliable.

Tuono is just as good as the RSV day to day/at legal-ish speeds.

As an aside, went to take my bike out yesterday (Suzuki SV1000) and no clutch. Was fine two weeks ago when I rode it so reliability is a mystery Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Had a Husqvarna 701 (which is a KTM) and no electrical issues with that. Although it did blow a hole in the engine casing from some sort of recall that I was only made aware of after it happened.

A premium brand having catastrophic defects from factory? Laughing people were pounding hard on my Chinese bike when I got it because a sensor needed replaced but KTM seem to get a free pass on worse defects Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Jayy wrote:

A premium brand having catastrophic defects from factory? Laughing people were pounding hard on my Chinese bike when I got it because a sensor needed replaced but KTM seem to get a free pass on worse defects Laughing

I guess being almost 50% Indian owned makes it ok Laughing

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:14 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

700cc singles are not exactly known for bullet proof reliability... however, between our group we've had 8 x 701s and 6 x KTMs and my 701 was the only one with that major defect... think it was just unlucky it happened just before they recalled them for it.

The other known thing to go is the clutch slave which they've now recalled on all KTM and Huskys.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:48 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Buell. I'm still pining for Marje's one, possibly the best bike I've ever ridden.

It's enjoyable for all the wrong reasons. Take an engine that's happy making about 50hp with lots of room around it for airflow. Wrap a load of bike around it, and double the power output. Now make the little fucker handle. Job done.

If you get one, I'll probably buy it off you afterwards. I can commute into the ULEZ on my 250.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

700cc singles are not exactly known for bullet proof reliability... however, between our group we've had 8 x 701s and 6 x KTMs and my 701 was the only one with that major defect... think it was just unlucky it happened just before they recalled them for it.

The other known thing to go is the clutch slave which they've now recalled on all KTM and Huskys.

Mate your group alone has to make up like 10% of all KTM and Husqvarna sales in the UK Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:26 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame, I didn't get the 749 I looked at, guy decided to not sell.

Still looking at another Buell shortly... have also been tempted by a very low priced Street Triple and a Busa Laughing but I would like some variety, I've had speed and hooliganism.

Mario_Kempes
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:23 - 08 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Had a 999 for a couple of years...

they do look better in the flesh.

Damn right. Much, much better. They just don't have a Ducati "look" IMO.

I'd have one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 294 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2