Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New bike: SH350, in Switzerland

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 28 Mar 2022    Post subject: New bike: SH350, in Switzerland Reply with quote

I got myself a new scooter with which to wander around Switzerland in a more leisurely fashion than the S1000R.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/2022-sh300.jpg

There's not that many reviews of this scooter in English so I thought I'd drop my opinions in a place where they might be found by the curious. I've done probably 100k miles on SH300s, on 2012 (x3) and 2009 (x1) models; it's mostly the 2012 which is my reference.

* Overall impression: it feels a bit more like a maxi scooter, and a little less like an overpowered 125, and compromises on feeling small in favour of being a better higher speed machine.

* The front face is visible from a seated position (before the headlight would get in the way), the bodywork is a little more angular, the "shoulders" on the front more pronounced. A smidgen of Forza is creeping in, it's less of an unthreatening sleeper. Personally I liked that the SH300 looked almost exactly like a SH125.

* The seat is noticeably taller and wider but it can now fit a full face helmet underneath (the SH300 could only fit a 3/4-helmet). Since the topbox also fits a helmet, you have space for both rider and pillion.

* The floorboard space is more generous at the limit, for people with big feet. The passenger pegs though are smaller and no longer rubberized.

* Has a noticeably higher center of gravity. 5cm more ground clearance, per specs. It makes manhandling a smidgen more awkward.

* It feels a little less agile, a bit slower to turn. Rake and trail are very similar, and while it doesn't have the tyres I'm used to (which might be more pointy), I suspect it's affected by the higher centre of gravity more.

* The other side of the agility coin is that it feels slightly more stable at speed and higher speed cornering. Frame rigidity / suspension dynamics when you hit a bump at speed while leaning feels more stable.

* Suspension is noticeably better. A lot of this is because it's brand new and everything is fresh, but I think it's not all. I got two of my SH300s with less than 300 miles and I reckon this feels better.

* The ~8% extra HP + whatever torque from the extra 50cc engine capacity isn't particularly noticeable. Gets up to 40mph very briskly, but the SH300 did too, especially with slightly lighter variator weights. It's perhaps a bit smoother doing it. The extra power is a bit more noticeable when accelerating at 70mph, but acceleration is leisurely at that speed. I think it's might have a bit more top speed (SH300 maxed at 130kph exactly per GPS, engine limiter kicks in) but I haven't stuck a GPS on it yet. If it does, it'll be because of the increased stability, the SH300 could have gone faster without the limiter.

* The keyless ignition is excellent, and in a relatively low crime country like Switzerland, it's very freeing to just park up your scooter and walk away, and similarly roll up without trying to fish a key out of your pocket with your gloves. The topbox is keyless too, touch a button and it pops open. Just keep a key in your regular jacket pocket, never need to unzip the pocket.

* The brakes have only two pistons up front and one in the rear, unlike the old SH300 which had three up front and one in the rear (the rear brake lever controlled both rear and one piston up front). I think the brakes aren't as quite good, they feel a bit more wooden. The rear on the old SH300 had tremendous stopping power.

* The bike now has traction control. I tested this briefly on some gravel. It works. I don't intend to test it in anger but I did have a couple of high-sides and a couple of close calls with the rear spinning up on the SH300 over the years, so I'm glad it's there.

* LED lights, new bodywork, new exhaust, new airbox. The delta between 2009 and 2012 was small. The plastic on this is put together completely differently.

* LED display with temperature gauge (finally! - very handy on a commuter in colder weather) and fuel efficiency (per trip and realtime). The old analog fuel gauge had more precision however.

Overall, it's just what I needed before I commit to a car. Filtering is illegal here, but it's practiced - cautiously and timidly - by the locals during rush hour on the motorways, so I don't think I'll miss the slight loss in agility and more awkward low speed handling that comes from a higher CoG. It's just the thing for exploring smaller roads, and I particularly look forward to dipping into Italy on it.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Re: New bike: SH350, in Switzerland Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
I got myself a new scooter with which to wander around Switzerland in a more leisurely fashion than the S1000R.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/2022-sh300.jpg

Those mountains are pretty.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bt confused..

So teh review is actually of the latest SH350 (actually 330cc) and the comparisons are against older SH300s (280 cc?) and not the also mentioned SH125..?

Thanks little bro was asking about commuter scooters - how much are they?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it has a smart key system which can stay in your pocket, I wish that was more common on bikes.
Though if you do happen to lose or mislay it presumably even more disastrous .. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 31 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sod the scooter, just give us more photos of the Swiss mountains and scenery Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:27 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I see it has a smart key system which can stay in your pocket, I wish that was more common on bikes.
Though if you do happen to lose or mislay it presumably even more disastrous .. Rolling Eyes

On the plus side, presumably you'd still be able to start and ride the bike if you accidentally packed the keys away in your tent.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Sod the scooter, just give us more photos of the Swiss mountains and scenery Smile

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by Copycat73 on 19:23 - 02 Jun 2022; edited 4 times in total

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Smile

Don't get me started! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1