PostPosted: 12:06 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, crashes suck ass!

Hope you get better soon!!!

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:25 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
old people shouldn't be allowed on the roads, or they retak their test every 3 years or so.

That'd probably be a good idea for *everyone, seeing the state of some people's driving Confused Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:28 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree, as those who are good drivers have nothing to hide.

However, many people know that they wouldnt pass thier test if they had to take it again today, and too many of the people who have power of deciding this type of thing fall into this catorgory Sad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:45 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

and a significant amount of *voters* would fail it.. therfore people wouldn't vote for anybody that tried to instigate soemthing like that.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 13:33 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be retaken every 5 years and you only pay for it if you fail. Could help to keep road tax down too

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:42 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

May sound an OK idea, but think how the system would cope with people doing 10+ times as many driving lessons. Add to that the vast cost, and I am certain that 95% of us would not pass without lessons to get from experienced down to the level to pass the test

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:12 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cant pass the driving test, what makes you fit to be on the roads?

zaknafien

PostPosted: 14:22 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

driving test is a load of bollocks could be one reason?

zaknafien

PostPosted: 14:23 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never met one cage driver yet who does the feeding the wheel through your hands crap after they've past their test. or quite alot of the other stuff.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 14:44 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd need to make it a little more realistic. Also if you're doing a re-take you could do it on your own vehicle. I wouldn't mind paying a tenner if it meant the roads being a little safer.

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 15:39 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that the general "license to drive/ride based upon a 30 minute assessment" is a bit silly (although I can't really complain now Razz)...but then again, the same could be said about all "exams".

Stephen wrote:
If you cant pass the driving test, what makes you fit to be on the roads?

Erm, a provisional license lets you onto the roads...yeah, I know what you mean...but in that case, are you saying that you're not fit to be on the roads? (that isn't a personal dig, mate Smile)

Zaknafien wrote:
i've never met one cage driver yet who does the feeding the wheel through your hands crap after they've past their test. or quite alot of the other stuff.

Would you mind elaborating on what the "other stuff" is, Zak?...a lot of the stuff that they teach/assess you on is to see if you're aware of what you're doing, and when you're doing it.

Quote:
driving test is a load of bollocks could be one reason?

I don't see the final test/exam to be the most important part of a license...I reckon that it's the training...it's not just learning the techniques (which you may or may not decide to use in the future), but learning *why* they exist, and *how* they can make you a safer motorist. For instance, I don't always have 2 hands on the steering wheel, but I am aware of why they advise the use of 2 hands...and speed limits etc...it's all about education...

I did suggest the notion of regular assessments, but not actual tests where you can pass or fail...I reckon that an annual CBT-type assessment would be a good idea, but perhaps a little impractical...Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:46 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea... I don't think it's really a realistic option, especially with the way the test is at the moment. Allthough I do think some things like 'checks' people do get lax about.. until they hit someone Sad
The goverment could just claim they're trying to reduce unemployment by making a lot more jobs for driving instructors Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:04 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiN wrote:
Erm, a provisional license lets you onto the roads...yeah, I know what you mean...but in that case, are you saying that you're not fit to be on the roads? (that isn't a personal dig, mate Smile)

Personally, no I don't think I was safe to be on the roads when I first got it!

My first ride on my bike, i must have nearly caused soooo many crashes Shocked

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:25 - 25 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
They'd need to make it a little more realistic. Also if you're doing a re-take you could do it on your own vehicle. I wouldn't mind paying a tenner if it meant the roads being a little safer.

Hi

Problem is it would be about £30 and have a several month waiting list. Added to which do you really think it would make people safer. Check out the accident rates of those who have just passed their tests.

As to realism, it is pretty shocking. Someone I know failed as they thought the queue for the drive through car was was a queue for the person at the front to turn right. They stopped behind the queue and failed. Up to that point an almost perfect drive

All the best

Keith

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 00:53 - 26 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that regular re training should be introduced, i.e every 5 years or so, and once you hit 65 ish you should need to retest every couple of years. Most of the dodgy drivers Ive seen have been oldies.

Oh, and did you know that the highway code lists the elderly as a hazard? And yet they are supposed to be safer drivers. Oh, and apparently the over 50's (or is that 60's?) are just as likely to be involved in an accident as the under 20's.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 21:00 - 26 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly

which is why those over 60 insurance plans really get on my tits

"you are 33% less likely to cause an accident so why should you pay for other people to have accidents"

i mean ffs, what a load of bollocks
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Joe Camel
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 29 Oct 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF a car pulled out infront of you, and you were on the major road, the other parties solicitor will refer to case law.
Example, Powell vs Moody 1963. Powell was on a bike on "A" road, moody was joining from minor road in a a milk tanker, (yes I know) it was ruled that it was Powell should have been aware of the junction and therefore was 80% to blame, he should have been paying attention. HOWEVER... I speak from experience here, I was "t boned" by a car joining a major road, ( I was on the major road) and my brief argued the toss and got 50/50 from the other party. It takeds time mate, write everything down, I mean everything, expeses, loss of earnings, loss of insurance excess, everything, taxi's to hospital, phone bills, the lot. and above all , stick to your guns..
I can recomend a great brief if you need one..
Get well soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PostPosted: 01:13 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers joe camel, yep as you say its gonna take time... ive made a list of all damages and kept ma solicitor informed but hope i can atleast get something out of it as i dont want to be stuck with £6,500 worth of finance still to pay.

it takes so feckin long tho Sad

im sure a witness would come in handy but no ones come forward, saw somethin like this comin tho as car drivers when it comes to bikes are unaware - i think all drivers should have started with motorbikes, it might just teach them the basic principle of road awareness....
You must be logged in to rate posts

uglykidjoe
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again, forgot to login.....

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 11:33 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compulsory CBT for all drivers would make people aware of just how vunerable bike riders are.

I mean whats another day on to a few months of car driving lessons gona hurt and the benefits would be

-all new drivers are more aware of what to look for
-where to look for bikes
-what life savers are (as they are useful in cars too)
-realise how vunerable bike riders are

etc etc etc...

as a car driver, as soon as I done my CBT I realised the benefits and as such my car driving improved, I always considered my observational skills to be good, but as soon as I dont the CBT I could pull them to bits!

anyway thats my 2p worth!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:38 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that were to happen, car drivers would argue that all bikers need to also do some lessons o some type of car course, as people on bikes can do stuff which is dangerous, like sitting in blind spot, weaving between traffic.

I dont think one would happen without the other! Although i think it is a good idea Smile

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 12:25 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as being an experienced bike rider and now a car, i can see what people mean when its now you see me now you dont, but i just shoulder check and the bike is often overtaking or turning right, when people say they didnt see him thats bullshit, what they mean is i didnt see him till it was too late.
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you

zaknafien

PostPosted: 13:14 - 10 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
being an experienced bike rider

um no.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 13:05 - 11 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

But most ppl have spent time in cars as a passenger. Very few have been on the back of bikes so don't see both sides of the story. I wouldn't mind doing 1 day in a car if all cagers had to do 1 day on a bike
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 174 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2