BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RC corner

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: RC corner Reply with quote

As requested, chuck all your RC related stuff in here to avoid it getting lost in the void.
So I have a very old Tamiya Madcap which has had to have a lot of aftermarket bits and pieces fitted over the years, mainly due to unobtainium and general piss take prices.
It's nippy and drives ok but it's not a patch on my latest acquisition.
It comes with a 1500mAh 2S battery which is pretty good but limited in terms of run time.
Luckily it will run 3S higher capacity batteries but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. Laughing
I've already had the diffs apart because a common complaint with these models is that they are not sufficiently greased and this car was no exception so now they're packed and ready to go.
https://i.postimg.cc/rw4t6Whf/20220602-104209-1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/K81CmcLq/20220602-104235-1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Qd65Jsy3/20220602-104258-1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/L5XFftYR/20220602-104441-1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:00 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Wild One, I built it around Feb/March time when I had Covid:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/wildonesmall2_966.jpg

It doesn't drive all that well, I stupidly put a classic Technigold motor in there, and it wheelies everywhere, so it doesn't so much steer as plane over the ground. It's quite a lot of fun though, and it looks great.

I also have this from my childhood although I've not driven it in it's latest guise as it's a bit too nice for that nonsense. It's definitely a shelf queen:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/gtfourresto_small_493.jpg

I also have a Kyosho Mini Z Celica like this:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0532/6176/2720/products/K.MZP446JK_1024x1024.jpg?v=1638876148

I's 1:28 scale which is an odd (very small) size, but it's a drift car. I bought it in Christmas 2020 because we couldn't go out, and I'd moved earlier that year into a house with nearly all smooth hard floors. It turns out it's better on very very short pile carpet but it's still a hoot. 4wd and a surprising amount of power for it's size.

I'm currently in the middle of building a car I wanted since I was a young teenager, namely the Tamiya Fire Dragon. I sent my Dad out to buy one and he came back with the 1/10 Celica instead (which I wasn't disappointed about!).

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/_images/products/800/t47457.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:02 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and in the loft I have a Team Associated SC10 brushless short course truck. That thing is a weapon and it runs on lipos so it's a bit more hassle to set up and get going. Again it's a lot of fun and takes whatever punishment you throw at it. I bought it because the local council had just built a BMX track (race track style, not skate park style) near my office at the time, and me and a couple of mates used to take the cars down there at lunchtime to race.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fire Dragon was something I wanted as a child too but financially it was a bit out my reach.
Can it run Lipos out of the box?

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been more into air RC travel than ground, but then that's cost me more and power failures are slightly more problematic!

I started off small, getting used to flying with ready built electric flyers with gyros. These were great, and better still my dog would chase it all over the field then bring it back to me once it landed Laughing .
Then a couple of years ago I bought a 2nd hand Vulcan. It flies great, I've crashed and mended it a few times now. The motor is a powerful Overlander Thumper V2, run on a 2200mAH 11.1V battery - I rarely use full power or it would disappear out of my sight in a few secs!
The downsides are I can only fly it when there isn't much wind, and have to be careful where I fly it - I don't like disturbing peeps, so too many of them and it's wait till another day.
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a few helicopters last year for a bargain on ebay. Think there's a T-rex 450, Protos 380 (which is huge) and some other one thats missing bits and I cant identify. Think I paid £130 for them and new the Protos and T-rex are around £400 new so I think it was worth it. I really didn't want to learn on these so went and bought a smaller xk k11.

Still haven't flown the bigger ones. Think I'm going to try and join the nearby helicopter club first.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone is going to laugh, but it still, How do you turn off an RC fuel engine on a RC car and RC helicopter? With the Heli, also stop the blades rotating?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:26 - 03 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I know someone is going to laugh, but it still, How do you turn off an RC fuel engine on a RC car and RC helicopter? With the Heli, also stop the blades rotating?

With the throttle. I was with a very old possibly ex member of this very forum when we were flying IC helicopters over the Thames... we saw the receiver battery swing down from the fuselage, disconnect itself and *plop* into the river. At that point it started to roll and pitch a tad, and head very quickly to an open set of patio doors in a block of flats on the bank of the river... Luckily there was no carnage, but if it had have hit a person it may well have killed them. It struck the brick structure just above the lintel of the doors and smashed itself to pieces. We never flew off of the island after that...

WRT the Fire Dragon, it could take lipos, yeah no bother assuming you can find 'Tamiya' shaped ones (which do exist). The lipo thing is not a big deal as all it really does is give you longer running times with the potential for higher current draw. If your speed controller and motor aren't anything special, it won't turn the car into something special (other than a big reduction in weight I guess?). You will also need a voltage warning device so you don't flatten the lipos as that wrecks them.

I have a Carson ESC that has a lipo mode (no need for a voltage warning) and can take a 20T brushed motor (which is installed) so we'll see what it'll do with a decent NIMH battery. It seems like it's strong enough to take a lot of power though.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:20 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are drones welcome here Shifty

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Absolutely. I have a couple but they are only toy grade.
I'd really like something the couple achieve a decent altitude and capture decent footage but funds say no.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
WRT the Fire Dragon, it could take lipos, yeah no bother assuming you can find 'Tamiya' shaped ones (which do exist). The lipo thing is not a big deal as all it really does is give you longer running times with the potential for higher current draw. If your speed controller and motor aren't anything special, it won't turn the car into something special (other than a big reduction in weight I guess?). You will also need a voltage warning device so you don't flatten the lipos as that wrecks them.

I'm only just learning about lipo batteries tbh. I know they can be a bit dodgy if not looked after and unlike NIMH, they have to be stored above a certain voltage.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:59 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Absolutely. I have a couple but they are only toy grade.
I'd really like something the couple achieve a decent altitude and capture decent footage but funds say no.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img-20220602-wa0015.jpg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:26 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this yesterday, I really want another 2 or 3 to play around with as this one was a bit too much cash to throw into trees, but its such a crisp bit of kit. Drive for scale Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=105673

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:44 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dji fpv.

Similar camera to the middle bastards, not as stabilised and can't chase you automatically like his can.

Apparently very fast....

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:38 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Apparently very fast....

Laughing Yes, I haven't gone past 58/60mph as the S mode limits you, and I have no intention of using M mode yet.

Says 85mph/90 if wind is behind you. Shocked

Camera is really stable, I can't see it getting better than this one..... goggles aren't stabilised, but the recording from the unit are.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:59 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Drones are for people who don't want to go to the trouble of learning to fly a proper Heli, or for people who want to use the camera for Voyeurism.

It's great that drones are getting the 'kidz' into RC these days, but cars are just much more fun, and the fun per £ ratio is superior to that of Helis.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:44 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer flying to cars and I don't want a heli as I've crashed enough of them to know they arent for me Laughing

I've even had an RC plane, a proper one with an engine and shit. Its less fun for me.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:20 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
IMO, Drones are for people who don't want to go to the trouble of learning to fly a proper Heli, or for people who want to use the camera for Voyeurism.

Can't film stuff at Red Bull events like this with a helicopter:

Whole video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13OtZFWdhwQ

Just the two race runs without the three and a half minutes of them talking about who they are and what they're doing etc etc etc: https://youtu.be/13OtZFWdhwQ?t=337
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1