Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha FZS600 Fazer 1999 electrical issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

OzoFazer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:44 - 15 Jun 2022    Post subject: Yamaha FZS600 Fazer 1999 electrical issue Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am looking for advice on an issue with my fazer. It was running fine when it went to the garage for mechanical repairs. However, this bike cut out when the garage mechanic was riding it back from the MOT station.

They said the starter relay had gone bad so they replaced it. They also found that the ignition wasn't getting any power which was causing it not to start. Therefore, the directly connected a wire to from the positive terminal to the battery which they said fixed the issue.

On the way back from the garage the bike cut out with the headlights on. I got the bike back home and discovered that the ignition is wired with the charging system and found some cut wires that the garage should have found and repaired. haha.

Before this, I thought the issue was caused by the regulator rectifier. but this was not the cause

I repaired all wires and not the bike won't start at all. The starter motor isn't even turning. The battery is reading 12.70 volts-ish and it did start for a little bike and was reading 14v and 5000rpm, indicating a healthy charging system.

I am stuck here, I have inspected all wires and connectors and all seem fine. Does anyone know what else could be causing these issues? I very much appreciate any possible advice. Thank you!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:33 - 15 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the function of the idiot switches on the clutch, sidetand and neutral. Sometimes an ignition switch or kill switch will go intermittantly bad.

I've had a few bikes over the years where the wire from the main fuse holder to the ignition switch became badly corroded, this happens because it's premanantly live and acts like a sacrificial annode. If this has happened, the first clue is usually that the terminals on the main fuse have gone all powdery and nibbled round the edges. It can let go at either end.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1