Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 174, 175, 176  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 03:22 - 16 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

I do hope he recovers, have chatted bikes with him a few times and he's a sound fella.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/avonmouth-traffic-live-air-ambulance-7204100

Ouch. It really upsets me when the focus of the article seems to be all about the disruption to folk getting to work on time.

Sounds like he will have a long road to travel in his battle to return to "normal" life.

Can you be there for him?

After my BIG off, it was the distant mates with small offers of kindness that made the biggest difference.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:30 - 16 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moth wrote:

Can you be there for him?

After my BIG off, it was the distant mates with small offers of kindness that made the biggest difference.

I can try, I don't know him well enough to have any direct contact. But as soon as a channel is opened up between
work and him I can contribute then, my boss will be in the loop where that's concerned.

It's given me the willies a bit, I was off work yesterday, glorious sunshine with a plan from days ago to go
out for a ride if the weather was fine on my day off. I just couldn't bring myself to get the bike out yesterday.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:04 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be "what boiled my gears" ... woke up to a house that was sitting at 26 degrees, for me that's Vivarium temperature and i'm NO lizard.

Although my mouth and throat feels like I'm one.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:39 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new season of Macdonald and Dodds starts today.

I spend my whole time finding fault on how they are getting around Bath. They seen to be travelling east to west to get from a place to the west to somewhere and the east and vice vresa.

The one with the hot air balloon was the worst, they went North (a good 5 miles) out of Bath to get to the balloon but it came from the East to crash land at the crescent when balloons actually take off from the park approx. 300 yards to the East of there.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The new season of Macdonald and Dodds starts today.

I spend my whole time finding fault on how they are getting around Bath. They seen to be travelling east to west to get from a place to the west to somewhere and the east and vice vresa.

The one with the hot air balloon was the worst, they went North (a good 5 miles) out of Bath to get to the balloon but it came from the East to crash land at the crescent when balloons actually take off from the park approx. 300 yards to the East of there.

I don't think I've ever seen a post on this forum that puzzles me as much or in more ways as this one Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:08 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a detective series based in Bath.

I've spent most of my life living and working there.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think the size of London you wouldn't be able to do the same thing but it's something I notice too in TV shows.

The worst recently was "Tales from the Loop" on Prime. A character is fixing something... with a soldering iron... you can probably guess the rest. Ruined the whole episode Sad

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:13 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needed fuel today. Shell E5 ... 2.05 a litre. Fcuking theiving cnuts.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's a detective series based in Bath.

I've spent most of my life living and working there.

Avoided a few too. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:10 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it happened in the first 5 minutes of the programme.

Past the Abbey and down Past the thermae baths toward the college but suddenly in the guild Hall which is rough where the chase started by th Abbey andd then suddenly heading north from the college and finally apprehended heading south by going Past the assembly rooms pub going south but then teleported to down near the Abbey again.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 17:55 - 20 Jun 2022; edited 1 time in total

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
And it happened in the first 5 minutes of the programme.

Past the Abbey and down Past the thermae baths toward the college but suddenly in the guild Hall which is rough where the chase started by th Abbey Nd then suddenly heading north fro.m the college and finally apprehended heading south by going Past the assembly rooms pub going south but then telephoned to down near the Abbey again.f0

Isn't this a fictional TV detective series?

Maybe you worry too much about the route taken not being true to life, but willingly overlook that his entire fictional day isn't taken up by real life policing matters, such as pointless paperwork, casual racism/sexism, and subsequently attending box ticking courses, rather than just punching bad guys in the bollocks, sexting a minor, and opening a bottle of scotch from the glove box of his Skoda Favorit unmarked car?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bird shit. the joys of parking under a cherry tree in the spring.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Needed fuel today. Shell E5 ... 2.05 a litre. Fcuking theiving cnuts.

Yep. I filled my motor yesterday from 5/8ths to full. £42.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's now almost 40 quid to fill the bike.

The Fiesta and the Del Sol are over £100 each to fill at that price.

I'm very glad i no longer own the Honda S2000 cos at <20mpg average given where / how i drove it, i'd be sobbing and living in a cardbox by now.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad all my vehicles can manage >70mpg, feeling pretty smug at the moment, soz Wink

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
it's now almost 40 quid to fill the bike.

The Fiesta and the Del Sol are over £100 each to fill at that price.

I'm very glad i no longer own the Honda S2000 cos at <20mpg average given where / how i drove it, i'd be sobbing and living in a cardbox by now.

I'm glad I only have to travel to the office once a week now as I get 30mpg in my gt86. Doesn't look like the government are planning to do anything about it, they are probably happy it's forcing people to go electric.

What also grinds my gears is some fucker hit the back of my car yesterday and gouged the bumper while I was parked. I'm sure it was a van I saw cleaning windows nearby, but couldn't find any cameras in the area.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
they are probably happy it's forcing people to go electric.

Almost certainly.
However, not for ideological reasons, but rather political ones, and for personal financial gain. They've got international obligations, which they try to balance with political popularity and manipulation. They can take the stats and show how they're meeting COP26 stipulations. I think they're very, very good at the political game. They are just a little bit smarter than average, and a little bit counts for a lot...
I'm a deeply cynical person, and I think most of them have an interest in oil prices rising a lot more this year. I mean, I have, and I'm just an ordinary person - not a psycho or narcissist sociopath, or whatever. I do want BP oil to do well. So I'm guessing they've hedged their bets and are willing to play the hard line when it comes to the current rail strikes.

Regarding the fuel prices, it's a lot like barbecues. I can afford fuel for leisure motorcycling. However, there comes a point when the price of fuel starts to detract from the enjoyment of the activity. Propane gas for barbecues is really expensive right now. Normally, I would be having lots of barbecues in the garden at this time of the year, and my neighbours only slightly fewer. But I can't smell the good stuff right now. This is, I believe, because of the price of the canisters. I can afford them, but the meat doesn't taste as good. People around here can afford them but I think they're spooked too. OTOH, suddenly, cycling is a lot more fun than I ever found it to be. Might be the weather or whatever.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I think they're very, very good at the political game.

Ur, well, they're not called politicians for nothing. Laughing

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears ground by virtuous pricks in ‘EV’s trundling round the Aroads of Wales at 35mph, regardless if the road was straight flat and empty. I’m guessing they were too busy feeling smug about driving an a glorified milk float to be bothered by the 1/2 mile tailback behind them - including lorries and motor homes. Still, I think I managed to time my upshift so the huge bang from my fume belching exhaust occurred just as I roared past their drivers window…

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:10 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the bike all ready for a nice potter down to Cornwall, got myself a nice new front tyre, got home, parked up and then an hour later went to put the bike away. Bloody puncture in the rear, used Gloop, didn't seal it, used rubber string, it's ok, but I wouldn't trust it for more than a get you home. So back to the tyre place for a new rear tyre.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:04 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Gears ground by virtuous pricks in ‘EV’s trundling round the Aroads of Wales at 35mph, regardless if the road was straight flat and empty. I’m guessing they were too busy feeling smug about driving an a glorified milk float to be bothered by the 1/2 mile tailback behind them - including lorries and motor homes. Still, I think I managed to time my upshift so the huge bang from my fume belching exhaust occurred just as I roared past their drivers window…

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind EVs at all, but I was on a country lane in my Zafira... and this thing was sitting at between 48 and 50, depending on the wind. They refused to move over enough to get past, my diesel PoS can sit at 60 all year long but they wouldn't get over or speed up.

I am all for saving money and what not, but fuck me son, move on or move over. On the bike it would have been far less of a problem Sad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Got the bike all ready for a nice potter down to Cornwall, got myself a nice new front tyre, got home, parked up and then an hour later went to put the bike away. Bloody puncture in the rear, used Gloop, didn't seal it, used rubber string, it's ok, but I wouldn't trust it for more than a get you home. So back to the tyre place for a new rear tyre.

Going from your house to Cornwall requires you to go past my house (ish) AND YOU DIDNT VISIT Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
A pox on your tyres.
Mr. Green Thumbs Up

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:18 - 24 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Going from your house to Cornwall requires you to go past my house (ish) AND YOU DIDNT VISIT Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
A pox on your tyres.
Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Nailed it.

*gets coat*

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 24 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the TV thing that Nobby mentioned, Black Mirror, Season 3, Shut up and dance...

There's shots ranging from Feltham to Kingston to Epsom... they turn off the motorway and the background is Ripley then the shot switches and the foreground's Harpenden! Less of a car and more of a teleporter Smile

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 24 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
One of the blokes from work had a bad smash on his bike on his way into work this morning...

Update on this, his left leg took the worst of the hit. His left foot was amputated soon after the smash. Unfortunately I
heard today that they've just taken it back to the knee. Pale That's really shit! He's still under heavy sedation and there are
more injuries to be dealt with on his other leg but they are less serious so they are focusing on the left leg. From the waist
up he's largely ok, the worst injury being a fractured eye socket. By all accounts he'll pull through, but still.....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 174, 175, 176  Next
Page 91 of 176