Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First big bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:55 - 30 May 2022    Post subject: Re: First big bike Reply with quote

I got Honda CBF600 at the moment and learned to ride on Kawazaki Z650, both bikes are decent and easy to ride............don't ask me about any other bike though as I haven't tried them yet Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the Kawasaki Z650 or Gladius you'll be bored sh*tless in under 6 months, they really are the definition of gutless.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB 650, my mate had one after passing his test and loved it, rides like a dream TBH. Would be hard pushed to find a better 650.

But just get a 2006 Fireblade, it only goes as fast as you turn the throttle and is not much bigger than a 650. If you're crazy enough to ride a bike then bigger engine and lighter bike is best.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sako wrote:
with the Kawasaki Z650 or Gladius you'll be bored sh*tless in under 6 months, they really are the definition of gutless.

I have to second this, I have an ER-6F and I am ready to go up a size again now. Then again, I appear to be the only person in recorded history who's admitted to looping an ER-6F.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 06 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Sako wrote:

I have to second this, I have an ER-6F and I am ready to go up a size again now. Then again, I appear to be the only person in recorded history who's admitted to looping an ER-6F.

It's possible to loop a C90 quite easily Laughing I'm not bored of 8hp in that either, although I do have a VFR to play with too.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:14 - 09 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t enjoy my ER6 at all, possibly because it was a poor example, but I didn’t have much ‘bike’ experience when I got it and have really enjoyed having my meteor to learn how to ride on properly.

I wish it was faster on occasion, not often but I can definitely see the appeal of a bigger bike again, ideally I’d like a second bike but no way I can afford that at the moment.

With 7 months of 125 experience that the op has I’d be tempted push the CC up a bit more than the standard 650 if you see something that you like. And at your height I wouldn’t rule out cruisers, some of them have decent pillion seats too.

Paulo87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting to get out on my XJ6.

Passed my Mod 1 testerday, and booked in for Mod 2 in a month. I wanted to passed by now, but the waiting lists for tests are.. shite

Happy with my choice generally (of a 600 with fairings) - riding to work I'd definitely appreciate some wind protection. And riding a Gladius at 'school' - I find it a little heavy to manoeuvre at slow speeds (but I guess I'm just used to flicking my YBR around) and plenty of power for me.

I'll have to see if I do get bored of the XJ6. Can always flog it and get something bigger later on. Or maybe something smaller if filtering isn't so easy Neutral

Paulo87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having passed the mod2 on Wednesday I went out on the xj6.
It's fast as fuck Very Happy
My cousin lent me his BMW F650GS 800cc, which wasn't noticeably faster.. it actually felt slower.

The main difference (apart from the obvious; style, engine, height etc.) was how my bike feels like a bag of spanners and his was silky smooth. Both 2010 bikes, his with 40000 miles vs my 12000.

Also, where mine wants to fall over at slow speeds, his feels like it wants to stay up by itself! And the steering at slow speeds is really heavy on mine (to the point where I'm fighting it to stay up), and light as a feather on his.
What's going on there? I assumed a taller bike would be top heavy and therefore more difficult to ride...

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:27 - 24 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're comparing apples with pears, but I wonder if your suspension is set up very well. Tyre wear, pressure and age can also have a big effect.

Might be worthwhile having a look at the tyres to begin with. Check pressures are correct, make sure they are evenly worn and not too worn. Check the date code on the side of them (it's a number code inside a little oval on the sidewall, showing week and year of manufacture).

Maybe get a more experienced rider to have a go? Mrs stinkwheel hates riding my VFR because it feels "heavy" at slow speeds. What she's actually feeling is grip.

Paulo87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in for a service on Thursday. If there is something wrong, hopefully the mechanic will tell me.

I'll have a look at the tyre date codes later Thumbs Up

My first commute on it tomorrow (weather permitting). M6 in rush hour Confused

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:16 - 26 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your Mod2

Paulo87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 19 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mechanic found nothing wrong and since then my confidence has improved on the bike and I'm finding it easier to handle.

It's extremely fun to ride, but it's not the right bike for me.. too revvy, loud and aggressive.

So.. I'm buying my cousin's 2010 BMW F650GS 800 Very Happy

Bike number 3 within 12 months. Hopefully the BMW will be with me for a while

Davidjsch
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:31 - 30 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo87 wrote:
Having passed the mod2 on Wednesday I went out on the xj6....

Congratulations…. I’m just starting out .. so great to hear of your success Dance!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2