Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So... What oiled your gears today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I DO know to take the cap off my telescope though... Razz

Yes but you haven't got the hang of looking through the small end yet... Razz

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I DO know to take the cap off my telescope though... Razz

Yes but you haven't got the hang of looking through the small end yet... Razz

Wrong wrong wrong! That's what you do for a microscope. You look in the small end to make the small things bigger. You see, it works like opposites.

For a telescope, you look in the big end, to make the big things smaller. Otherwise how could the hugest things in the known universe like nebulae or galaxies fit into your eye?

Top tip, this won't work if you're searching for microbial life on other planets. Then you just peer into the small end again. Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back I spoke to a neighbour and he expressed an interest in bikes.
He’s been through the mill and had loads of different bikes in his life.
He did plant and machinery electrical stuff as his career.
So he’ll have the wisdom and knowledge to understand the problems with my bike.

He’s agreed to take a look at ‘Project Scrappy Hyosung’ and help me banish a few of the electrical demons.
Tea and bacon sandwiches will be supplied Very Happy

Could I be making a little progress again? Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these years and I never realised X-Wing Starfighters were fitted with a cassette stereo.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an old (?) "Special Edition Classic" guitar by the bins at work. It's got some scuffs, needs new strings and new tuning pegs (a few have stripped teeth, god knows what the previous owner was doing to manage that) but the plan is to fix it up for my nephew's birthday as he wants a guitar and, assuming it actually tunes up and plays, will be perfect for him to learn on.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been out for a little blip on the Spacker after work today, playing with camera mounts this evening.
Got a cracking stillshot as I went under an overpass and gave the customary tunnel revbomb.
Took a few tries to pause the clip on exactly the right spot, but got there in the end.

Gonna miss this stupid ass bike when it goes...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local coke-dealer was killed in a car accident three weeks ago, his funeral was today.

The accident also killed off another chap who lived next door to him. That chap *might* have been the scumbag who stole two of my bikes when I first moved into this street. If it wasn't, then it was his brother, sticky-fingered little scumbag.

Earlier intel passed on my another of my neighbours was that the "best mate" of today's dead guy was also instrumental in nicking the second bike from outside my house: a particularly sexy GSX750 with a grunty engine that set off car alarms and didn't even belong to me, it had been lent to me by my fella Rolling Eyes

So although I tried to feel sorry for their respective families, I wasn't really all that bothered that they had died.
Quite pleased actually.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:24 - 21 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do a Marm and do a completely pathetic attempt at torching the inevitable lamppost shrine?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:39 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not.
I merely wallowed in schadenfreude instead.
Karma truly is a bitch.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:37 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
a particularly sexy GSX750

One of the iconic 80s ones ("Katana")? That's Airwolf on 2 wheels. I'd curse the thief every day if I'd had one of those nicked. And that has nothing to do with whatever its monetary value might be.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

So although I tried to feel sorry for their respective families, I wasn't really all that bothered that they had died.
Quite pleased actually.

You are too sft hearted. I wouldn't have even tried to feel sorry for them. I'd be playing 'Burn baby, burn' at full volume while cracking open a bottle of the best bubbly and debating whether I'd been wrong all along and the really is a God up there and perhaps I ought to go to church to thank him next Sunday. Thumbs Up

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 22 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was disappointed to learn that a friend at work had sold his 6 month old Street Triple stating that he felt disconnected from the riding experience.
He's used to 'raw' bikes without all the rider aids.
My gears were subsequently oiled when I received a pic of his new 20 year old machine, an absolute minter by his account.
Should keep him happy for a while.
https://i.postimg.cc/gJF0fH6y/20220622-201816.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:04 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned the bike and got a lovely new front tyre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well wtf!????.
My neighbour who knows more about electronically ‘stuff’ than I could ever hope to know , came to my house today.

Literally Two minutes poking around ‘Project Scrappy Hyosung’ and he’d cured the intermittent front brake light issue.
It turned out to be a dirty switch on the lever???., I’d cleaned that once before ? Obviously not well enough Thinking .

We now have lights, indicators, brake lights front and rear and a horn, and dash console! .
Oh yeah! Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally starting to understand what they talk about in the Chief Executive's senior management monthly meeting.

Probably I should spend more time concentrating on what they are all saying instead of perving on the Ops Director Laughing

But I think I am sloooooowly learning how not to waffle in the Minutes.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Today I was disappointed to learn that a friend at work had sold his 6 month old Street Triple stating that he felt disconnected from the riding experience.
My gears were subsequently oiled when I received a pic of his new 20 year old machine, an absolute minter by his account.

Interesting. Wouldn’t you have to ride like an absolute loon or in appalling conditions to provoke the “rider AIDS”?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my granddaughter's pet fish died...

"Is it really dead?"

Yes, why?

"'Cos it hasn't got crosses in its eyes."

[confusion, realisation dawns: cartoons]

How many times have we passed the fish counter at Tesco? What did the fish look like?

"Oh yeah!"

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 24 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was riding to work this morning when a woman on the pavement crouched down and put her hand over her dog’s eyes. I don’t think it lessened the dog’s urge to chase me, but good effort.

Laughing

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
So my granddaughter's pet fish died...

"Is it really dead?"

Yes, why?

"'Cos it hasn't got crosses in its eyes."

[confusion, realisation dawns: cartoons]

How many times have we passed the fish counter at Tesco? What did the fish look like?

"Oh yeah!"
When my son was little and I was walking him to school I asked him if he knew what day of the week it was.

"No Daddy what day is it"

"It's Thursday"

"Oh, we sing a song at school about Thursday Daddy"

"Really? Go on then sing me a bit."

"On the Thursday of Christmas my true love gave to me....."

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nipped from home to St Ives in Cornwall for a Pasty, nice little 710 mile round trip in a day. Something ticked off my bucket list.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:42 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you go east of Saltash the pasties turn to shit.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
recman wrote:

Interesting. Wouldn’t you have to ride like an absolute loon or in appalling conditions to provoke the “rider AIDS”?

When the bad A.I.D.S. is paired with RBW throttle, they can make it a bit indirect feeling. I think this is what is being referred to.

TC can normally be switched off, or put on the lowest setting.

ABS, depending on the bike, would normally get its fuse pulled at the track to stop it interfering as some bikes have intrusive ABS.

Others have it linked to the IMU for cornering, and that makes it almost race ABS, and it'll make most riders quicker round a track due to increased confidence to brake harder, later. Some of these newer bikes throw an error and won't start if ABS is not working IIRC.

But normal day to day riding you would need to be very naughty to get TC or ABS to ruin/save the day.

I am not a fan of mucking about with digital dash settings, I just want to ride it, not debug it or program it. But if a bike I liked had all this gubbins it wouldn't be a deal breaker. In the future though, when it's long out of warranty, and all the software to fix it is no longer working, you'll probably have a bike that's bricked.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Once you go east of Saltash the pasties turn to shit.

Make your own. They're easy.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I've no experience of rider aids myself but yes, I'd imagine you'd have to exploring close to the limits to kick the electronics into life.
Let's just say he's an extremely confident rider, I certainly can't compete.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, the flowers on the ever expanding lavender patch are opening and bees are visiting. This makes me happy.

https://i.postimg.cc/CKq9cc2S/20220623-203612.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 50 of 103