Disappointing places.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
In Cornwall... Lands End - horrendous concrete tourist trap last time I was there. Lizard Point is much nicer.

Good cliff top walk from Land's End though:

https://i.postimg.cc/CK1XzM0h/DSCN1334.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/t49LGtmV/DSCN1360.jpg
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 12 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ace Cafe.
A shite ride to get to and if it didn't have signs telling you what it was, you'd think it was just another boring faceless box in Lahndahn.
Navigating the bike bores to get in to order some overpriced, underwhelming grub was irksome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:17 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
The Ace Cafe.
A shite ride to get to and if it didn't have signs telling you what it was, you'd think it was just another boring faceless box in Lahndahn.
Navigating the bike bores to get in to order some overpriced, underwhelming grub was irksome.

The last couple of months it's also been a great place to chat up the local police officer your fancied, get fined for small plates, loud exhaust and the sorts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunstable Downs in Bedfordshire.
It used to be a glorious, natural area of outstanding natural beauty but now it's being 'run' by the National Trust.
They've built a monstrosity of a visitors center where everything inside costs stupid money.
The privilege of parking up to take my dog for would have cost me three pounds and fifty pence had I been willing to bend over.
Bollocks to that.
I only hope some day it becomes no longer viable to run so that it returns to what it was. Free.

1claire
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 04:08 - 29 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
In Cornwall... Lands End - horrendous concrete tourist trap last time I was there. Lizard Point is much nicer.

Good cliff top walk from Land's End though:

https://i.postimg.cc/CK1XzM0h/DSCN1334.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/t49LGtmV/DSCN1360.jpg

I find it really pretty, I like the rock formation.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 218 days between these two posts...

Haarp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:09 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visited Camber Sands recently, the area is great, however there was a specific location the people I was meeting were staying called Pontins, a run down holiday park that resembled a concentration camp. Had to get out of there ASAP.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 04 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haarp wrote:
Visited Camber Sands recently, the area is great, however there was a specific location the people I was meeting were staying called Pontins, a run down holiday park that resembled a concentration camp. Had to get out of there ASAP.

Laughing I did laugh when you mentioned ‘Pontins’.
I stayed there a few years back and there was a knife fight outside the main gate in the middle of the day!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:20 - 05 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything Pontins at Camber Sands is worse than a concentration camp. When I was there about 8 years ago, the balconies in one block had completely collapsed.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 10 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed at Pontins just south of Blackpool many years ago when I was helping out a rally team for the NW Rally Stages. Pontins was used for the accommodation while we were there. Concentration camp is accurate, complete with institutionalised breakfast where you have to sit in one of four coloured quadrants in the breakfast "hall" and get your food in turn. I felt like I was in a film set for some bizarre production. Except I wasn't. I didn't go back.

Edit: Google suggests the Blackpool Pontins was demolished. Thank god for that.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 10 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I stayed at Pontins just south of Blackpool many years ago when I was helping out a rally team for the NW Rally Stages. Pontins was used for the accommodation while we were there. Concentration camp is accurate, complete with institutionalised breakfast where you have to sit in one of four coloured quadrants in the breakfast "hall" and get your food in turn. I felt like I was in a film set for some bizarre production. Except I wasn't. I didn't go back.

Edit: Google suggests the Blackpool Pontins was demolished. Thank god for that.

I had the same feeling in Center Parcs (one of the cheap Dutch ones, not the horrendous expensifold UK ones). The tall fences are to keep people out - or so they'd have you believe.. intriguingly there were some abandoned chalets I discovered that didn't feature on their maps which made it feel like something from the cold war..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

John O'groats. Very under whelming, Shit weather, no scenery to look at, no Northern lights.. The roads around Caithness are good though. Wick and Thurso is a goodnight out at the weekend but watch you don't get mugged by the Glasgow overspill. I did. Shocked

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 24 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakley Motorcycle Club, Beds..

Dropped in last Thursday eve to see what was happening and load of bikes/biker there. All grey heads and more KTMs and BMWs that you could shake a shitty stick at...
No idea what the point of it all was.. No 'interesting' bikes in my view although I did pause to look over an Aprilia Shiver., and precious few interesting people, just serious bikers with reliable machinery Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
reliable machinery

If you don’t count the KTMs or Aprillia that is Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
John O'groats. Very under whelming, Shit weather, no scenery to look at, no Northern lights.. The roads around Caithness are good though. Wick and Thurso is a goodnight out at the weekend but watch you don't get mugged by the Glasgow overspill. I did. Shocked

Northern lights are not a guaranteed attractions. Better on cold, dry winter nights.

Darker nights short days.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Oakley Motorcycle Club, Beds..

Dropped in last Thursday eve to see what was happening and load of bikes/biker there. All grey heads and more KTMs and BMWs that you could shake a shitty stick at...
No idea what the point of it all was.. No 'interesting' bikes in my view although I did pause to look over an Aprilia Shiver., and precious few interesting people, just serious bikers with reliable machinery Rolling Eyes

I wholeheartedly agree. I visited there a few years ago with a couple of friends. It's very cliquey, like the bike meet equivalent of the Slaughtered Lamb.
Bunch of old miserable tossers in my view.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3