Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Indian Scout or Harley Davidson Softail Slim?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

neighbourninj...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:02 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Indian Scout or Harley Davidson Softail Slim? Reply with quote

Got my heart set on one of these babies (Scout or Softail Slim) but gonna decide after I test ride them. I've seen loads of reviews on youtube but they can often be biased. Confused Any experiences with either of these bikes? Any recommendations?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD - buy into the America Dream, America! Fuck Yeah!

or you could buy an Indian which almost counts as a real bike (more so than a Harley anyway.)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:18 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd come out to your parents first.

Personally, I'd never buy a harley unless it was a pre evo one but thats just to restore it, not ride it.

Honda434
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:48 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d go with the Indian. I’ve been liking them better then the Harleys for a while now.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.vintage-leather.co.uk/products/vintage-brown-biker-fringe-leather-jacket-tassle-concho-premium-motorcycle?variant=42714679771366&gclid=CjwKCAjw77WVBhBuEiwAJ-YoJCnBdrdjxvQLMAYxa5b-SYKhvPYvs_6acJ6kQoLQkDtXHu2lZlBx6hoClyEQAvD_BwE
Also available in pastel shades.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried asking at the local gay bar? Razz

this chap has a few videos on the scout. his wife bought one.
might be of interest to you-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAuPF1jVu7M
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:35 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not have Triumph dealers in your country?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:10 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would test ride both and see which you prefer.

The Indian is going to be faster, but the engine area looks very cluttered. The harley is a cleaner look.

Both will feel very powerful if you're a new rider. Both will be heavy, which is going to be noticeable.

Whatever you get, you're likely to drop it, so factor in the cost of fixing that. With the harley, expect to spend another 1-2k on exhaust, air filter and remap.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 20 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
[url]https://www.vintage-leather.co.uk/products/vintage-brown-biker-fringe-leather-jacket-tassle-concho-premium-motorcycle?/url]
Also available in pastel shades.

Nice.. could be paired with a set of these if it amuses sir..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124366704939

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

neighbourninj...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:50 - 24 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, you bunch of jokers. Laughing What's with the hate towards murican bikes? Not all of us are old English fellas who ride BSA's or adventure bikes. Some have just dreamed of owning a murican two wheels since childhood without actually having to also become a third member of Right Said Fred.

I did have a look at Triumph. Thought they were British but turns out they are owned by a rich Yank named John Bloor. That disappointed me.

Harley is dearer than an Indian, yet Indian has more power and is cheaper by about £3k. Whatever I get, I'm definitely not getting that brown jacket with tassels.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 24 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with John Deere. If you're going to get a tractor, you might as well get a good one.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 24 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until very, very recently Harley stopped making new bikes (since Ronald Regan kindly shut the market to all competition) and instead they turned to manufacturing an image. Why would anyone (outside the USA) take them seriously?

Indian is caught between Harley's shadow and the shining light of Jap and British bikes. At least they're more hungry for the business and try and compete on both performance and style.

On the other hand, would you prefer to chat with lots of dentists and doctors at Cars & Coffee?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

neighbourninja wrote:
Lol, you bunch of jokers. Laughing What's with the hate towards murican bikes? Not all of us are old English fellas who ride BSA's or adventure bikes. Some have just dreamed of owning a murican two wheels since childhood without actually having to also become a third member of Right Said Fred.

I did have a look at Triumph. Thought they were British but turns out they are owned by a rich Yank named John Bloor. That disappointed me.

Which state is Swadlincote in?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
neighbourninja wrote:

Which state is Swadlincote in?

Well it's near Burton, so that could be Texas or Michigan, Wink I'll go with Michigan..motor city and all that..

Thing is Ninja. Harley's et al are generally (but not always) what new bikers think of as cool, hence the scorn. They have a following around the coffee shops of Shoreditch but you won't find many at the TT for example.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:59 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

neighbourninja wrote:
Lol, you bunch of jokers. Laughing What's with the hate towards murican bikes?

There are many reasons, but it generally boils down to:
- People on this forum trend towards powerful Japanese bikes.
- American bikes have shit performance on paper, particularly power compared to engine size and power to weight.
- Lots of people on here have never ridden one.
- American bikes are expensive

I've had a couple of Harleys. They are quite flawed in a great many ways, but the one thing they do incredibly well is sheer grunt. Regardless of gear, speed or speed, open the throttle wide and the thing surges forward like it's going to snap the drive belt.

You will see similar attitudes towards electric bikes and scooters.

Personally, I'm waiting for someone to release an electric cruiser.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:11 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a sportster a few years back (my neighbour fell off his and his wife got me to bring the bike home whilst he went to hospital with a suspected broken elbow) and my experience was a bit different.

Opening the throttle just caused more noise and vibration but no appreciable increase in speed.

Admittedly I did have an exup at the time and its in line 4 thou made so miuch seamless power everywhere I was a bit spoilt.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

neighbourninja wrote:

Harley is dearer than an Indian, yet Indian has more power and is cheaper by about £3k. Whatever I get, I'm definitely not getting that brown jacket with tassels.

John Bloor:

Bloor was born in a small Derbyshire village. His father was a coal miner. He suffered from health problems, and long absences from school limited his formal education, leaving school at the age of 15.[3]

Made his dosh as a bricklayer. Bought the Trumpet Rights and factory when it went tits up. He's done a great job dragging Triumph into the 20th century.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:25 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph bobber ?

also how experienced are you, both of your choices are heavy bikes iirc

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:38 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

neighbourninja wrote:

Where did you get that nonsense from? Yeah so much of Triumph's parts and many bikes are assembled in Thailand, but Harley's board of directors are (wait for it) Yanks as you put it. Not only are they Yanks, they are the worst kind of slimy corporate disaster zones who only care about 'the brand' and know virtually nothing about actual motorcycles.

The CEO would rather play golf than ride a bike, and has no understanding of the value of what he calls 'the powersports user'. In other words, he'd probably rather sell you keyrings and patches than decent bikes.

Yeah so Bloor is not a motorcyclist, but his son is, and his son runs the business day to day. There's more passion in the routing of the wiring on the Rocket III than there is in any of the HD range (except *maybe* the liveWire, but that's been spun off into a separate business now).

neighbourninj...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:38 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovin' the replies, lads. Thank you.
Hit a nerve with some over Triumph's owners, I meant no offence. Surprised

As for American bikes, I understand and agree these can't even get close to eg. Jap or British bikes in terms of...well, everything really.

But, I'm hardly a speed freak and they suit my style of riding. I've ridden other cruisers (Suzuki Marauder 250 and Yami Dragstar 650) and I just love everything about it.

Also, believe it or not, I do love to watch racing, even though I revere cruisers. Mr. Green This year's TT was exquisite.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get the Scout. Cruisers really aren't my thing but even I think Indians look pretty cool.

The only cruisers I've ridden for more than a quick blast were Victorys, which were the cruiser style bikes Polaris (the parent company) were making before they bought the Indian name. They then let the quality of Victory slide for a bit before abandoning the brand entirely in favour of Indian. But the fundamentals were all excellent, great engines, decent brakes, good handling by cruiser standards. My brother is in the process of buying one at the moment.

Indirect experience by any measure (I have no idea if any of the Victory engineers ended up at Indian), but for what little it may be worth.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:45 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. All the folk on here are tits.

I just bought a Harley and it's fuckin ace. All the haters are jealous fannies.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 01:52 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
Meh. All the folk on here are tits.

I just bought a Harley and it's fuckin ace. All the haters are jealous fannies.

I have a copy of an article from Cycle World, May 2010, which explains how much of a screw up company HD were and are. it's annoying as it's just over 8mb, and the attachment limit to this forum is 8mb.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:48 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
it's annoying as it's just over 8mb, and the attachment limit to this forum is 8mb.

https://www.adobe.com/uk/acrobat/online/compress-pdf.html

See what that does.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:29 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indian Scout / Dark Horse, or Kawasaki Vulcan.

Lots of design and tech and quality reasons you shouldn't get a Harley.

Additionally, everyone gets sold a haircut. Investment bankers get sold custom suits and expensive watches. Skilled trades get sold tattoos and Harleys. Companies want you back again and again, to be a reliable source of periodic income. They have their routine to sell you more stuff the moment you walk in the door. After that, they will get you in the dealership again periodically without you realising it. That's the whole American gladhandling routine, formalised and systematised.

If someone says everyone else is just jealous of Harleys because they can't afford them and this motivates them to talk them down, look at them. Are they 60+ and still working, for example? What car do they drive? How big is their house and do they own it? There are high-functioning doctors with heroin addiction problems. Everyone's got their hand in their pocket. Dealer, hot wife, subscription car, mortgage lender, counsellor, etc. You do get targeted for a haircut if people smell a stable income and insecurity of personality.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2