Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Royal Variety Performance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Royal Variety Performance Reply with quote

So, I know I'm not the first here and probably won't be the last, but I've bought an Interceptor.

https://i.imgur.com/ZuCOFLW.jpg

I've been seriously interested in these since they were launched, but I wasn't going to pull the trigger until they were a bit more of a known quantity.

What accelerated the process was the announcement that the 2021 models were on the way and the only colour I wanted had been dropped, so now I'm either buying a new bike that's been hanging around (don't exist) or something secondhand (nearly don't exist).

A fat fingered trip round the RE website saw me needing to contact my nearest dealer, where it turned out they had a demonstrator that was going up for sale at a very reasonable price, except it was the wrong colour; then they found the right colour tank they had changed for somebody else and agreed to swap it for next to nothing.

The upshot was, went and saw the bike and the virtually invisible damage on the replacement tank last weekend, agreed a deal and picked it up today.

First impressions:

On the face of it, this is a cheap bike, so the quality is going to be a bit shonky, right?

Nope, everything seems to fit, nothing is annoyingly wonky, paint quality is good and, on the whole, it all appears to be more than good enough.

Some of the welding isn't perfect, but I've seen worse on substantially more expensive European and Japanese machines and it doesn't look like it's going to fall apart next week, so I'm not complaining.

Instrumentation is basic - you get a bar type fuel gauge, twin trips and that's it.

Riding away, I was a bit concerned on another thread, because when I first sat on it, the pegs dug into my legs when I put my feet down, but I was hoping that I would naturally shift position when I was actually riding it and that is the case, so no need to worry about buying new adjustable footrests just now.

On the move it's surprisingly light, it changes direction very easily, although I wouldn't say the steering was overly quick, but it feels like you could really chuck it around, once you get used to it.

The transmission is nice and slick, short throw and positive gearshift and the slipper clutch works very well.

The motor is similarly sweet, pulls well and is almost vibe free, just a bit of a tingle as you go up through the revs - I have seen reports of dubious low revs fuelling, but I had it happily slugging away from under 30mph in 6th, so maybe not every bike is the same.

The thing that really lets the side down and the one area where RE has obviously cheaped out, is the suspension - everyone has said this, it's harsh and pretty much uncontrolled.

There's no adjustment on the front end and only preload on the rear - mine came with the rear shocks on the lowest setting, so I will have a play, but I don't hold out much hope, it's basically over sprung and under damped - it's not dangerous and I can live with it for now, but it does require some attention in the future.

Practical future mods for me will be some sort of tracker (recommendations welcome) and hard luggage as an immediate, then weather protection - touring screen/hand guards/heated grips for me, engine bars/rad cover/fork gaiters for the bike.

What I would also like to do is feel more like I'm sitting in the bike, rather than on it, so bar risers and a slightly wider and softer seat might be on the horizon.

All of this might well happen at a relatively glacial pace, but I'll keep this thread updated, if there's any interest.

Finally, another shot, slightly more urban and arty

https://i.ibb.co/t4CL90M/smart.jpg
delete repeated words
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Royal Variety Performance Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
but I'll keep this thread updated, if there's any interest.

Yes please. I fancy one too but I'm a tight git who won't get one till they hit the bottom of their depreciation curve Laughing

As to build quality if it's anything like my modern Enfield (535GT) the electrics are the weak point, connector blocks don't weather well and the R/R is made of tinfoil. I've been replacing mine as they cause issue and the R/R is now from an '08 R1.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:23 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only sat on one and agree, the only bit that didn't seem well finished was the clunky suspension.

However, YSS make an upgrade kit with linear springs and cartridge emulators.

https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/fork-internals/yss/royal-enfield-interceptor-650-yss-fork-upgrade-kit-18/

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:25 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Guzzi I did YSS cartridge emulators and hyperpro springs on the front, and The Shock Factory shocks on the back.

The front end setup is amazing. The back end is a hell of a lot better than stock or Hagon mid-range shocks, but could be better.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still waiting to see one of these on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you finding the power output? I was considering one of these versus the Rebel but given, on paper, the similar bhp I went for the smaller bike.

TBH I'm actually glad as it pushed me onto the XSR which I'm much happier with.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 30 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
im still waiting to see one of these on the road.

Weird isn't it, the impression is they're selling like hot cakes, but I've only seen a couple in the last two years, the first time I've ever stood next to one was in the showroom last week.

Maybe they're all owned by Youtubers and they only come out when they want to film some content.

The guy at the shop did say that RE only sell around 2500 bikes a year and that's of all types, so realistically, there's probably only a few hundred Interceptors on British roads, I guess they are relatively uncommon.

Easy-X wrote:

How are you finding the power output? I was considering one of these versus the Rebel but given, on paper, the similar bhp I went for the smaller bike.

It is only about 48bhp, but it still wins the traffic light GP against cars and it will sit all day at 70 (which is more than I will, without some sort of fairing) but the motor is really all about torque.

It doesn't produce max power until 7250rpm, which is basically the redline and I won't ever be going up there.

What is does do is pull like a train from much lower revs, so overtaking is a breeze and it has plenty of drive out of corners - I went on a little cross country jaunt today and it's on NSL B roads that it comes into it's own.

Despite the sketchy suspension (which I'm already getting used to) you can really hustle it along and even if you find yourself in the wrong gear, the gearbox is so slick that an up or down change barely even registers as a thought process.

In saying all that, it's not the sort of bike you buy if you want to constantly set your hair on fire, but if I had wanted that, I would've been buying one of the shop's Kawasakis instead.

Speaking of the shop, shameless plug for Bowen Moto in Chatham - Mark Bowen and Ian Jones are very pleasant and personable people and if you are looking for your next bike, you could do worse than talk to them.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 31 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

It doesn't produce max power until 7250rpm, which is basically the redline and I won't ever be going up there.

I take that back.

Went out for another spin today and confidence is building, to the extent I decided to see what happens when you grip it and rip it - answer is, over 5000 rpm the motor takes on a whole different character, the exhaust note gets more snarly and things really begin to happen.

The best bit is, as many others have pointed out in other threads, at this level of power/torque you can realistically explore everything you have available, knowing you aren't going to get into too much trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I've been riding what used to be called heavyweights for 35+ years, because there ain't no substitute for cubes, but with the state of today's roads and traffic levels, how often can you really stretch the legs of a bike that can get into three figure speeds in first?

First commute tomorrow, let's see how it does in traffic.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small screen like this:

https://images.esellerpro.com/3799/I/208/673/6/502974_Royal-Enfield.jpg

plus a decent helmet made quite a difference on my last long trip.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to report really, just some observations a couple of weeks in.

I've used it for commuting every day for the last two weeks and it does the job admirably. Very flickable and easy to manage in traffic, easily deals with the NSL section and is surprisingly good on fuel - takes about a tenner to fill it from a flashing gauge, I brimmed it on the way in Monday morning and didn't fill it again until going home Friday, which means it's halved my fuel spend, compared to the car.

For a biggish twin, you expect some vibes, but I can barely detect anything - bars are solid, mirrors clear at any speed, I don't even get the old Raynauds like I used to on the XJ.

Ride quality is still pretty poor, but I can't decide how far I want to go, so I'll live with it for now.

I do find the seat to be hard and narrow - it does have rounded edges, which means it doesn't stick in your bum like some off road style saddles do, but I'm at my limit of comfort after about 45 minutes.

For what looks like a pretty chunky thing, it's quite easily moved around by gusts of wind, so you have to be on your toes if you're being passed by artics and the like.

It's a bit too quiet for my liking.

Mods list:

Luggage - mightily fed up with a using a back pack, so panniers and mounting kit have been ordered. Would've liked to have used traditional Craven panniers, but a/ they won't fit because of the upswept exhausts and b/ their specially designed kit for this bike is stupidly expensive.

I could've gone down the road of some sort of soft bag, but I prefer hard luggage and Givi 22 litre boxes look just about acceptable and don't break the bank, so that's what's coming.

Screen - don't need one for now, but when the weather turns, I'll be going back to Givi for their touring number, which is even more substantial than the one Easy-X posted.

Seat - RE do their own touring seat (if anyone has experience of this, I would like to know about it) and various other companies do replacements at several price points, but I might start with the quick and dirty option of a sheepskin pad.

Exhaust - bit of a quandary here. I really want it to sound like my mate's Bonnie, which has Norman Hyde silencers, but I haven't heard anything yet that I like. I suspect the problem is the downpipes, which have cats in them, so I'm guessing they restrict the gas flow enough to stop the deeper, boomier sound I would like.

Replacing the downpipes as well, turns the whole thing into a much more expensive exercise and even then, I still haven't heard a full system that I like, so I might be waiting to see if more companies come up with replacements.

That's about it for now, next update will probably be fitting the panniers, unless anyone has any questions.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent choice. I think you've summed it up really well. I really want one but don't have the space for one unless I sell the Bullet, which isn't happening.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Exhaust - bit of a quandary here. I really want it to sound like my mate's Bonnie, which has Norman Hyde silencers, but I haven't heard anything yet that I like. I suspect the problem is the downpipes, which have cats in them, so I'm guessing they restrict the gas flow enough to stop the deeper, boomier sound I would like.

this video might be of interest to you-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeFsnsm2m-s

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Shaft wrote:

this video might be of interest to you-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeFsnsm2m-s

Yeah, I've already forced myself to watch that (after you mentioned him in another thread, I went back and reminded myself why I struggle with him - he..............talks like............he's .............reading from.......... a ............ broken...........autocue, with all..............THE...............emphasis...............IN the............wrong PLACES) and there's two problems with those slip ons, one they don't sound right to me and two, a brushed silencer on a chrome pipe offends my aesthetic sensibilities.

I'm a fussy bugger, but then, it's my money and my bike, so I won't be doing anything I'm not entirely happy with.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft, thanks for posting this. I'd like to hear how this bike works out for you, long term. Best wishes for a satisfying, lengthy relationship with your new bike.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the brushed/chrome clash Sick I could barely live with putting a matt black exhaust with the satin finish of my old Rebel. But if you want a total Interceptor simp channel it has to be that Fillingham fella Sad

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:51 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i saw this guy's interceptor at Fimber last week - although the bike i saw had a creamy white plastic seat cowl over the pillion bit, plus some other white trim somewhere

one thing's for sure, it sounded excellent - whether it was those brushed cans I can't remember, but i heard the bike before it came into view and thought okay what's this then, it sounds lovely

so you can definitely get them to make a good noise - this was deep, with all the low sound and no harshness or rasping sh1t

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still get a very pleasing exhaust note whilst retaining catalytic converters. In fact, they seem to absorb enough noise to get away with a straight through exhaust an a DB killer to get to noise levels only slightly above an 80s bike with a slightly knackered motad system.

Which is what I wanted. Not loud enough to be obnoxious or give me a headache, but enough that the exhaust is louder than the tappets.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
You can still get a very pleasing exhaust note whilst retaining catalytic converters. In fact, they seem to absorb enough noise to get away with a straight through exhaust an a DB killer to get to noise levels only slightly above an 80s bike with a slightly knackered motad system.

Which is what I wanted. Not loud enough to be obnoxious or give me a headache, but enough that the exhaust is louder than the tappets.

There's an Indian firm called AEW that make a few different slip ons for the Interceptor, one of which is very interesting.

They've done a peashooter style Bonnie knock off, with a twist in the link pipe to make it almost horizontal, which I think looks better (IMO the upswept pipes look great on the GT, but not quite so in keeping with the roadster style) and from what I can gather from the internets, sounds great with the baffle removed.

There are a couple of problems; firstly I can't work out what I might have to be paying in import/tax duties, on top of the £200 initial price, then there's the fact that changing the angle of the exhaust will probably make my newly acquired high level panniers look a bit odd.

More research/thought needed........................

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:32 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Import duty on vehicle parts from India is something like 2 or 2.5%. The handling fee is usually higher than the duty.

I had to pay £30.64 total on a trials tank that was £100 plus £80 delivery.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how are the new cans?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzeGPYJQf-o

I prefer it with whatever ZARD is / are Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzeGPYJQf-o

I prefer it with whatever ZARD is / are Very Happy

https://www.zardauspuff.de/media/shared/Produkte/content/511/Bilder/4.jpg

https://www.zardauspuff.de/motorradauspuff/royal-enfield/continental-gt/interceptor/slip-on

Sounds very refined, I picture a gruff old bloke puffing on a cigar in a gentleman's club Smile Whereas my bike would sound more at home in a strip joint - like a filthy muted-trombone Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the racing system is even cheaper - happy days.

It has that engine character / exhaust note that an IL4 just doesn't have.

Could cheerfully ditch the Z1000 for that.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, by popular demand (thanks to both of you Laughing ) here's the latest update.

The first thing that stands out is the luggage, which I said all along was at the top of the list:

https://i.ibb.co/QDB09ct/smart.jpg

Did a lot of research and this kit came out on top - if you want hard luggage for these, the choices are very limited, due to the previously mentioned exhausts, you just don't have the room.

Then there's the prices; arguably the best looking set are from Craven, who have developed a case especially for this bike, but the consequence of that is it's stupidly expensive, with the cases topping £200 each and the frames at over £100, with no option for an extra rack. That might seem OK compared to the prices of some luggage sets out there, but keep in mind this is just panniers and you won't be carrying much in them, certainly not in the same league as full size cases on other bikes.

This lot cost me under £120 for the pair of cases from sportsbikeshop, then another £99 for the frames from an Italian Egay seller, which seems like good value.

Dead easy to fit and although they do look a bit cumbersome in the pictures, they are narrower than the bar ends, so the overall width of the bike hasn't changed. No issues with handling either, fully loaded you don't notice the extra weight and there's no high speed death weave, so it's all good.

https://i.ibb.co/7k2kPZZ/smart.jpg

The eagle eyed will also have spotted the end cans have been changed.

As we've talked about on this thread, there are a lot of choices, many of which I don't like the look or sound of, even less do I like some of the prices - £5-600 might be OK for some people to spend on their late model sports bike, but when that represents more than 10% of the value of the machine, plus they don't really offer anything better in terms of looks or performance, then I'm left wondering where the VFM is.

Anyway, in keeping with the perceived quality of the bike, I went with Hitchcock's cheapest offering, at a whole £99 the pair.

Quality is more than acceptable, fitted in 10 minutes and suitably louder - still a bit more brappy than thumpy for me, but for the price, I can't really complain and at least now you can hear me coming.

The only thing I will probably do is get a set of Tec Racing cover plates for the joints, but that's not really a priority, better weather protection is the next thing on the list.

Other than that, the only change I made is to turn the rear preload up a couple of clicks, which had a surprisingly significant effect.

I'm not going to go all hyperbolic and claim the ride and handling has been transformed and it's like a different bike, but it is noticeably better and I'm starting to wonder if the old skool fix of heavier oil and a coupe of spacer washers, might do the same job up front.

Nothing has fallen off or broken yet and the finish is still good, so I remain a very happy bunny.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 279 days between these two posts...

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft, Anything to update since last September? How many miles do you have on your Interceptor by now?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2