Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Loose wheel bearings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Loose wheel bearings Reply with quote

Just went to change the wheel bearings Now they’re pretty snug but there’s enough play for them be removed without force. I suspect this is what was creating the very slight play I have misinterpreted as worn bearings in the first place. Any ideas? New wheels/hubs are not easy to get in good condition. Is some sort of bearing retaining fluid a suitable fix? The bearings are the correct pattern parts but there is no sign of scoring on the hubs suggesting they were rotating in the hub housing.

Last edited by ThunderGuts on 09:02 - 26 Apr 2023; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Loose wheel bearings Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Just went to change the wheel bearings on my C90 and was slightly surprised they fell out of their own accord! Now they’re pretty snug but there’s enough play for them be removed without force. I suspect this is what was creating the very slight play I have misinterpreted as worn bearings in the first place. Any ideas? New wheels/hubs are not easy to get in good condition. Is some sort of bearing retaining fluid a suitable fix? The bearings are the correct pattern parts but there is no sign of scoring on the hubs suggesting they were rotating in the hub housing.

Buy some Loctite Bearing Retaining Compound.
Clean outer surface of the new bearings and the wheel hub where the bearing fits using brake cleaner. (Or break cleener Cool )

Slather a thin film of retaining compound on the wheel hub where the bearings sit and on the outer surface of the bearings.

Install the bearings with a little twisting action to help smear the compound evenly.

Bearing compound sets up in seconds. Same chemical process as superglue.

Be careful not to wash-out the bearing grease.
New bearings may be sealed on one side or both. (Or not at all)
Seal to the outside. Facing you as you slip it into the wheel.

The seal on one side keeps shite penetration from outside. Dirt, Rain, over zealous pressure washeringer.

To remove just heat up the hub using a heatgun.

Loctite 638 Very High Strength Retaining Compound - Metal Adhesive Retainer Glue: 10ml Bottle £8 & the odds.

There is medium strength too. I cant be arsed googling for it. Very Happy

Other companies make similar stuff maybe cheaper.

I only use original Loctite products. They've been doing this shit for donkey's years. Trusted stuff.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:26 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pattern parts....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:29 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Loose wheel bearings Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Just went to change the wheel bearings on my C90

How old are they?

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:13 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are these pattern bearings you've bought? Last time I did the wheel bearings in my C90 SKF were like £6/set. A mate of mine insisted on buying the cheapest shite Chinese bearings he could get (actually not that much of a saving at £1.25 a side) for his and he had exactly the problems you describe.

I've had the same problem with correctly fitting bearings in a BMW C1 some years ago, and got around it by sticking them in with Loctite 641. So either that, or buying some better bearings, should sort it.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loctite bearing retainer FTW. It's excellent stuff.

I had a similar problem on the rear wheel of my M900. The bearing was spinning in the wheel - not sloppy loose but no longer an intereference fit. Bearings were fitted with Loctite bearing retainer, left for a day to fully cure and I've had no problems since. Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

nd it worked a treat. Froze the bearings first and heated up the hub to help it in. Wheel spins perfectly now and no play.

Last edited by ThunderGuts on 09:02 - 26 Apr 2023; edited 2 times in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose bearings: general wear & tear or pointing to another problem?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:44 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Pattern parts....

Unlikely with bearings, unless someone has set up a really shit factory and managed to get them past any sort of quality control.

I would expect cheap bearings to wear out fast, but I've never come across any that are the wrong size.

Wear/corrosion/both making the bearing seat in the soft alloy wheel a bit bigger than original is quite possible though.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a 50 mile test ride (yes I did stop after a few miles to check!) and all is well. Spins freely with no play at all. When they next need attention I may consider a new hub but if a cheap fix works then may as well crack on. It’s hardly a precision racing machine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:39 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tolerances on cheap bearings can be pretty shite. We had terrible issues with them on overhead trolley wheels at a place I used to work, they weren't particularly load-bearing so we'd just used cheap ones (they were for running along the cross beam behind a gantry crane to stop the cables hanging down too far). You'd fit one in a wheel and it'd fall straight out, grab another from the same box and it was to press in. Went through gallons of green permabond.

We went back to koyo after that. The ones the crane itself ran on were always FAG or SKF.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearings are relatively cheap/inexpensive precision machines so skimping in that area is a bit retarded. (Unless you know exactly what you get from suppliers)
FAG, SKF, KONO, TIMKEN and cetera manufacture to international standards and are so precise that interchangeablity is common.
I would suggest that a wheel bearing on a bike may be a critical area. Not frequently changed and comparatively cheap.

And the big names do not hold back on information about their wares either. Some very informative details on bearings on big name websites etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1