Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I'm riding from Australia to England

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
mattsprattuk wrote:
The gatekeeping is a nice touch. Especially from people who've been here all of 5 minutes. Laughing Got to emphasise that it's not a Vlog. I'll be attempting to make something like LWD, LWR or LWU albeit on a much lower budget, shitter scale, and less exaggerated hype.

For the avoidance of doubt, my comment that you quoted is the opposite of gatekeeping. I was taking the piss out of the fact that everyone who dares link their YouTube in here gets karma bombed as if they committed a war crime.

that's what i was thinking

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 13 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: I'm riding from Australia to England Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
As the title says. I'm doing it. Got the bike (2011 BMW R1200GS adventure) getting it together at the moment, and shipping myself off in the foreseeable future.

Sydney > Perth > Cape town > Egypt > Arse end of eastern europe > UK

https://i.postimg.cc/PrH09m0m/Untitled.png

I'm also an episode into doing a documentary on YouTube for it, but we all know how well received that stuff is around here.

That's all.

Discuss.

interesting!

brave choice of bike lol (bit heavy to pick up, alone - also not entirely convinced of reliability and ease of repair)

anyway, good luck!

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:42 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: I'm riding from Australia to England Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

brave choice of bike lol (bit heavy to pick up, alone - also not entirely convinced of reliability and ease of repair)

anyway, good luck!

The long way round guys seemed to need both of them to lift it, but I think they're each about 70kg soaking wet. Haven't dropped it just yet, but I think it's definitely manageable solo as I'm not a manlet.

Paddy. wrote:
I forgot about your yellow bike crash!

Best of luck again! Are you abandoning the Aus life or just fancy a big break?

I'll be back in Aus afterwards as I've built a company and my life is out here now. This is just something I've wanted to do for years.

struan80 wrote:
I can't seem to find the youtube link?

Never mind found it, should stick it on the first post. I'll follow you around.

Yeah not a bad suggestion. Edited now Thumbs Up
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 17:14 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: I'm riding from Australia to England Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

anyway, good luck!

The long way round guys seemed to need both of them to lift it, but I think they're each about 70kg soaking wet. Haven't dropped it just yet, but I think it's definitely manageable solo as I'm not a manlet.

They tend to land at a angle on the cylinder heads/crash bars/panniers, which make lifting with your back to the bike and pushing with your legs much easier. (plenty of examples online).

My 1992 R100GSPD which was a far superior GS in terms of simple reliability and off-road capability was easy to lift despite its weight.

l would take a newer BMW over KTM any day for 3rd world travels.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/24476_10150109213100224_1992933_n.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/24476_10150109213085224_2720506_n.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/24476_10150109212685224_8067436_n__1_.jpg
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 14 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that mileage just to end up in Plymouth. If ever the phrase 'Its the journey not the destination that matters' was true. Laughing

Fair play tho dude, not many people get the chance to do a trip like that. have fun!
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:37 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: I'm riding from Australia to England Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:

I'll be back in Aus afterwards as I've built a company and my life is out here now. This is just something I've wanted to do for years.

Fair play dude, ended up watching through your troopy build video so I don't doubt you'll be setting off in A1 condition with the bike.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bon voyage!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: I'm riding from Australia to England Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Fair play dude, ended up watching through your troopy build video so I don't doubt you'll be setting off in A1 condition with the bike.

Laughing Laughing that electronic table bed thing was an absolute chore of a thing to build.

tatters wrote:

They tend to land at a angle on the cylinder heads/crash bars/panniers, which make lifting with your back to the bike and pushing with your legs much easier. (plenty of examples online).

My 1992 R100GSPD which was a far superior GS in terms of simple reliability and off-road capability was easy to lift despite its weight.

l would take a newer BMW over KTM any day for 3rd world travels.

Advantages and disadvantages for both I guess. I purposely chose this one as it's the last of the oil cooled models, so saves a load of weight, and avoids faffing. Also has the more efficient fuel injection system, and is new enough to have the non-shit braking system and shocks found on the 1150's and earlier 1200's.
Weight though... Not sure what your R100 is, but this thing is 250kg on a diet.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mibby u no already, UKGSR have some useful info on the forum.

Lots of owners who have hoowured and toowured on GSRs on there.

Tip and Tricks GSR-ish too.many to mention here.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/Znp2YywT/Screenshot-2022-04-16-015232.png

I found UKGSER, but this is close enough, right?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
MCN wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/Znp2YywT/Screenshot-2022-04-16-015232.png

I found UKGSER, but this is close enough, right?

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/

Arsewhole.. I hope you crash.. Mad

Laughing

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 15 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:

i love shephards Thumbs Up

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 22 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Matt what's the story? You near Perth yet??

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 22 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Not just yet. I'm not planning on leaving for around 12 months.

Bike prep
Getting gear
Visas
CDP
Flights
Transport

Stuff I need to get sorted before I even think about leaving, amongst other stuff.

I did manage to land a sponsorship of sorts with Sena though, which is quite nice of them.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 22 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
A100man wrote:

Not just yet. I'm not planning on leaving for around 12 months.

Bike prep
Getting gear
Visas
CDP
Flights
Transport

Stuff I need to get sorted before I even think about leaving, amongst other stuff.

I did manage to land a sponsorship of sorts with Sena though, which is quite nice of them.

Ah right - figured departure was imminent.. Still enjoying the build up anyway. Thumbs Up

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 22 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 months ffs I thought you were leaving imminently. You could grab yourself a wife and have a kid before 12 months. Buy an NC750 for the commute that you'll need for travelling to your job, needed to provide for your new family.

Bloody bugger it to that, jump on your bike and do it now. 12 months for bike prep, meh. Pull of it's horns and clean it's arse.

On a normal note good luck.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:39 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's less time than you'd think, considering I'm running a business, sorting out all of the above, doing all the work on the bike myself, waiting for parts orders etc.

The worst part is the parts delivery actually. Seeing as Australia isn't real, and I've got a euro bike, parts take weeks/months to get here.

Anyway, planned departure date is the anniversary of the first video, so 11 months 2 weeks to go I guess.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:08 - 28 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time will fly in.
I'm on the last few days of 7 wks of leave.
I don't want to go to my work on Monday.

As to how far Oz is from UK.

A boat built in Scotland holds the record fornthebfastest trips between Oz and UK.
A clipper.
Not particularly fast for its time.
It had the unique quality of being designed with a copper clad hull.
Weeds and other marine life couldn't stick tonthe hull.
So it spent no time in dry-dock for cleaning. More time sailing (full of Marino wool).
The fastest clipper was due to the ship's aggregate sailings.
The Cutty Sark

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutty_Sark

Moral of that story is good design and proper planning only helps with the tasks.

And the person she named after was an interesting character too

alli09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:36 - 13 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my partner is dreaming to have such journey by our BMW R1150R. Thanks for sharing your video, it will be useful!

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:23 - 23 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got around to testing the gear I've picked up recently.
As usual, last minute stuff, setting up when it was already dark... forgot a lighter... luckily had one of those dodgy gimmick knives with a flint in the handle.

https://i.ibb.co/3FxJn2J/20220621-193449.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/v33ZSJM/20220621-161709.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/hKf6tdr/20220621-161717.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/Hxb0N1d/20220621-190529.jpg

Anyway. The petrol stoves are awesome, even though they're a bit dangerous, but you'd have to be a special kind of retarded to do any damage with them.

That's about it... Bike serviced and ready to go. Gear got and tested. The only thing that's left is politics and logitstics before I go.

https://i.ibb.co/TR1wNLY/20220621-230515.jpg

That's it all attached to the bike.
> Tent
> Inflatable 120mm mattress
> Camp chair
> Axes and choppy stuff
> Cooker and cooky stuff + food
> Clothes and sleeping stuff

To be honest. I think I've got more room for carrying stuff than I need. I'm considering chopping and re-welding the panniers to make them half the width.

Last edited by mattsprattuk on 12:32 - 25 Jun 2022; edited 1 time in total

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:19 - 25 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the trip, very jealous.

Don't chop up the panniers, you will be glad for the extra space for things you pick up along the way or extra food/water/fuel.

Which way are you starting off in Oz, nullabor or through the middle?

Prob best to avoid Ukraine for the moment, don't think you can get visa's for Russia as it stands either. Lot's of people altering continental tours (cycling mostly).

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
Good luck with the trip, very jealous.

Don't chop up the panniers, you will be glad for the extra space for things you pick up along the way or extra food/water/fuel.

Which way are you starting off in Oz, nullabor or through the middle?

Prob best to avoid Ukraine for the moment, don't think you can get visa's for Russia as it stands either. Lot's of people altering continental tours (cycling mostly).

I'm planning on the south coast/nullarbor through Aus. I went through a basic version of the route in the video, but things change all the time. Nothing is set.

As for ukraine and russia, not particularly worried about that sort of thing to be honest. I'll probably end up in Ukraine briefly, but I'm not going to be one of these morbid dickheads who goes "war tourisming".

Worst worry is getting from egypt to turkey without "politics" messing it all up, but apparently there's a direct ferry so I can avoid it.

Anyway, I'm off to canberra soon to visit the embassys so they can give me an official idea of what I need in terms of papers.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, sounds fantastic! Will be following along when you leave!

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates of stuff and things...

The bike is ready to go more or less. All maintenance is done, that's every fluid, including the shaft maintenance.

Like most things, once you start taking stuff off, it's when the demons decide to show their faces...

In this case, the front shaft boot was split, and both swingarm bearings were a bit rubbish.

https://i.ibb.co/2j5bRHf/301894659-438958008026653-143226371579372040-n.jpg

The driveshaft had a bit of play in it, so those bearings were seen to.

Onto tyres!

https://i.ibb.co/wBfTVkT/301368314-1441814199631304-5307573066486075649-n.jpg

These are dunlop trailmax missions... The most impossible tyre to get in Australia. I had one shop give me the run around for 3 months saying "they'll be in next week" every time I called.

In the end, I had to drive 200km to another dealership who had the rear in stock, then get the front from the aforementioned crap shop. I got my revenge by getting free fitting by sneaking my tyre onto the pile. (they wanted to charge $45 per tyre).

Anyway. Last thing on the list was the clutch. And I've decided to not bother doing this...
I took off the starter motor to get a look at what was going on in there, and managed to measure the thickness of the plate.

I got it at just over 5.5mm (accurate measurements not really possible), so let's say it's between 5.6 and 5.7mm.

The wear limit is like 4.5mm, and it's 6mm when new. Not bad for a bike on its original clutch with 104,000km on it. To be fair, a lot of this wear is probably from me doing wheelies when I first got it.

Anyway. Off to visit the embassies of obscure countries soon, then visas, CDP and transportation.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 01 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:

To be fair, a lot of this wear is probably from me doing wheelies when I first got it.

Anyway. Off to visit the embassies of obscure countries soon, then visas, CDP and transportation.

..better check those headstock bearings then Wink

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4