Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Next step after CBT ... which bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Georges_58
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:46 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Next step after CBT ... which bike? Reply with quote

Hello there,

Finally at 64 I decided to try Biking Very Happy . I don't know why but I feel like I want to be freer. Family said, you are too old. Well, challenge accepted Smile.

I am going for CBT, no ifs no buts. New, no used as I cannot trust any deals or private unless some of you has a bike to sell and other can vouch for you then I am willing, it has to be a cruiser or similar. I don't like bikes with very high rear ass Smile ).

I could buy a 1st second half bike then upgrade after getting more experience. I am not keen on this as I will be paying twice.

SO I decided to get a bike that I can keep afterward (I am not a speed demon, I might wet my pants. Just country lanes outdoors and photography).

Gear is ready and complete.

So, after many hours of reading ads, I decided on the
FB Mondial 125cc E5 or
V-TWIN 125CC AQUILA GV125S.

I'd appreciate advice from more experienced riders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your cbt and full license and then decide on a bike. That'd be my 2 cents.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:29 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had bought a 125 I would not have a bike now, I would have given up. As above, go DAS, sink any cash into a pre owned 600/650 and swerve a 125.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great - you'll love it. But consider an easier bike to ride, like a Suzuki VanVan. I say 'easier to ride' - I just mean that on those cruiser styled bikes, the ergonomics aren't as neutral, natural and obvious as slightly more upright, conventional bikes. The VanVan is a funny thing, but is a well-made Japanese effort.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 125 and ran it for a year, maybe a bit less. I then bought a '90s cb500. I could theoretically have just gone with the 500 via a DAS route...but...I still tend to think paying me dues on the 125 was "right".

They are fvcking useless though - great for town, but bad for everywhere else. They're not even THAT good for rural single track lanes. A DT125 would be. But that's cheating. If it's about 4t, then 250cc is kind of the minimum (although a TW225 or Serow would work).

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Georges_58
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:03 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Plan B maybe:

I can do this, get CBT, buy cheap 2nd hand for target practice, theory test (mostly there, passed many mock tests) then go for A or is it DAS?! license and buy a big one 350 and above?

I am just trying not waste money and buy twice. I am near retirement now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on trying something new. You will enjoy it.

Not to nitpick, but bikes haven't been about freedom, for a very long time. They can give you enjoyment, i.e. fun, pleasure, excitement, etc. But not freedom.

Country lanes are enjoyable to ride, and they take up all your attention. Enough so, that you cannot daydream or feel like you're doing something dreamy or liberating. Generally, road riding isn't all that liberating, as such. Most of the time you're doing a big circle to return from where you left off, i.e. home. Bikes are more about enjoying motor vehicles. The idea of stopping off somewhere and taking some photos sounds good, but in reality finding a suitable stopping place, parking there, pulling out your camera and setting up a shot isn't really that great compared with just riding.

There are guys who do wild camping, hiking, etc. That's a different thing, and the bike adds nothing to it - it's just a way to get there. Offroading is an exciting discipline but it has to be learned, and there are few places you can do it. If you're after a real sense of freedom, you may have better luck just packing a suitcase and taking a train somewhere to a country B&B, or packing a backpack and booking a camping site, if that's your thing. Just my opinion. The fun is in the vroom vroom and the bike actually ties you down quite a bit when you stop somewhere (how will you secure the bike, how will you store your helmet, what are you gonna do with your gear, how long can you park there, etc.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:33 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going for a full licence, have a look at the new Enfields. The 350 Meteor and classic are about equivalent to a mid 70's Japanese 250cc commuter in terms of performance but they are very easy going. Because they are a narrow, single cylinder bike, they are simple to flat-foot for even the shorter rider and they have a classic, upright riding position with hands forwards, back straight and feet under you which is just comfortable.

Incidentally, I disagree with almost every part of Bhuds statement above. He's obviously doing it wrong.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not doing it wrong - I'm doing it my own way. You aren't doing it wrong either. My own way is good enough for me to enjoy it. Realistically, this is what people are gonna do, i.e. whatever's sufficient for them. Some people will enjoy riding even just a scooter, or a moped, around town. I've actually seen leisure riders on 125 scooters, and these were grown men with L-plates. You just don't hear from them, or see them at bike shows or anything. You will always hear more about the guys who toured the Pyrenees last year and who religiously attend the TT every year, than the guy who just delivers a pizza. Statistically, there are more pizza riders, and the majority of people (I hazard) do not have the prerequisite optimism to endure a sort of scouting ideal.

Touring Britain or going across Europe or something isn't really all that common, I think. I wouldn't want the hassle of planning a journey like that, enduring the weather, punctures, breakdowns, riding in the dark in an unknown place looking for the hotel, personally. It's great if people like it but, as you can see from the way I describe it, I just don't see the allure. I suppose a lot depends on where you live.

Now, this is just to manage OP's expectations. If you expect little from your new hobby, you will be less likely to be disappointed.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georges_58 wrote:
OK. Plan B maybe:

I can do this, get CBT, buy cheap 2nd hand for target practice, theory test (mostly there, passed many mock tests) then go for A or is it DAS?! license and buy a big one 350 and above?

I am just trying not waste money and buy twice. I am near retirement now.

Id find a good local school. Do your CBT. If that goes well ask them how much for an all in one course.

Then you walk out with an unrestricted license and you can buy whatever you want. From a 50cc thing right up to full nutter mad fast.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:50 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Get your cbt and full license and then decide on a bike. That'd be my 2 cents.

This

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest you do the CBT and see how you feel afterwards
before committing significant dosh on a bike.
Some people get the bike bug some don't.

As I understand it, You'll only spend a couple of hours actually riding on the road on training day.

as for your choices,to quote an earlier thread from Linuxyeti.

"FB Mondial HPS 125, Italian design/elctrics, chinese build, what could possibly go wrong?
It's also known as an Aprilia APR 125 (150 in China), Zongshen CR150, the same frame and engine as a Reiju Century 125, and, it's the same engine as the Aprilia RS4 125."

The Hyosung Aquila is Korean, I know close to feck all about them
but personally I'd have that one over the Mondial

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I'd like to suggest my old favourite, the Keeway Superlight, just do the CBT and see how you feel.

Unless you're super anxious after a day on an anaemic 125 just book a DAS course. You'll do a few days training then come back on here to bitch about the Mod 1 being months away. (BTW I wouldn't recommend Mod1 & Mod2 back to back unless your instructors deem you a natural and even then...) Do some more training and wait for the Mod 2. Then you can ride anything; doesn't have to be a Fireblade Wink The RE Interceptor 650 is an agreeable bike for the distinguished gentleman.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:34 - 18 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I'm not doing it wrong - I'm doing it my own way. You aren't doing it wrong either. My own way is good enough for me to enjoy it. Realistically, this is what people are gonna do, i.e. whatever's sufficient for them. Some people will enjoy riding even just a scooter, or a moped, around town. I've actually seen leisure riders on 125 scooters, and these were grown men with L-plates. You just don't hear from them, or see them at bike shows or anything. You will always hear more about the guys who toured the Pyrenees last year and who religiously attend the TT every year, than the guy who just delivers a pizza. Statistically, there are more pizza riders, and the majority of people (I hazard) do not have the prerequisite optimism to endure a sort of scouting ideal.

Touring Britain or going across Europe or something isn't really all that common, I think. I wouldn't want the hassle of planning a journey like that, enduring the weather, punctures, breakdowns, riding in the dark in an unknown place looking for the hotel, personally. It's great if people like it but, as you can see from the way I describe it, I just don't see the allure. I suppose a lot depends on where you live.

Now, this is just to manage OP's expectations. If you expect little from your new hobby, you will be less likely to be disappointed.

Maybe you should just decide where you want to go and take the bus?

I was on holiday in Greece a couple of weeks ago. 2-up on a 125 scooter. I set off each day with a destination in mind, not a route. A look at a map to see roughly what direction it was in then a bare minium of looking at a map when I thought I was going off course, just taking whatever road looked like it was interesting and going in roughly the right direction. Stop for food somewhere that looks nice.

Landed up getting where I was going each day and back to the apartment in time to have some dinner. Plenty of attention free to see the sights, take the place in, explore, stop wherever looked interesting, carry on past wherever didn't. No schedule, no demands, total freedon to go, do and see what I want within the limits of available range.

Same when I did my tour of Britain. I didn't decide where I was going each day other than in the very loosest terms (like South Wales for the next few days) until the night before and my route for getting there was entirely fluid. The camping aspect was purely a case of good personal admin and an easy way to find somewhere to stay, the trip was all about riding the bike and the journey, not so much the places.

Shame you've not given yourself the oppertunity to travel like that.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You are describing an enjoyment of semi-planned travel for leisure, and conflating it with bikes. For example, you could have done this while hiking, travelling by car or van, or bicycle. Your enjoyment stems from new places and uncertainty, because this reflects your interest in the outdoors.

I, too, have ridden in Greece, but my trip was planned and I read the hotel reviews on TripAdvisor first. I have also lived abroad in a few different countries, and studiously avoided unknowns such as just packing my wallet and winging my way down to Komodo, for instance. There were people who enthusiastically urged me to do just that. People are different. There are YouTube people who say they like wild camping in all weathers here in the UK. They describe how they don't need toilets or toilet paper or mobiles or sat nav or, indeed, soap. They say they feel sorry for people like me, who don't privilege or appreciate the immense profundity of their chosen experiences. Each to their own. However, they don't attribute their enjoyment to their hiking boots.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:46 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Quote:

You are describing an enjoyment of semi-planned travel for leisure, and conflating it with bikes. For example, you could have done this while hiking, travelling by car or van, or bicycle. Your enjoyment stems from new places and uncertainty, because this reflects your interest in the outdoors.

No, it reflects my enjoyment of riding motorcycles. I wouldn't have enjoyed doing that in a car, I wouldn't have enjoyed that cyling or walking.

If I'd been in a car, I'd have driven to the planned destination by the most direct route possible because I hate driving cars. As far as I'm concerned they are nothing more than a convenient way of moving me from A to B, if I could teleport there instead of driving, I would. If I'd have been walking, I wouldn't because i hate walking, that's why we invented motorcycles. If I'd have been cycling I'd have carefully planned the route with the fewest hills.

I never drive, walk or cycle anywhere without a destination I want to go to and I go there the easiest way possible. I'll go out on the bike for the enjoyment of riding the bike with no clear destination in mind, just for the fun of riding it. I'll go well out of my way to avoid going on the same road twice in one trip.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:52 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
The idea of stopping off somewhere and taking some photos sounds good, but in reality finding a suitable stopping place, parking there, pulling out your camera and setting up a shot isn't really that great compared with just riding.

Speak for yourself. Setting up a shot is a case of point and shoot for most people.

Bhud wrote:
There are guys who do wild camping, hiking, etc. That's a different thing, and the bike adds nothing to it - it's just a way to get there.

Whether you use a motorbike bike, a car, a mountain bike, a helicopter, a Canyonero, a kayak or just walking adds everything to wild camping. Where you can go and what you can take depends on how you're getting there.

Bhud wrote:
Offroading is an exciting discipline but it has to be learned, and there are few places you can do it.

Depends on what you mean by offroading.

Bhud wrote:
If you're after a real sense of freedom, you may have better luck just packing a suitcase and taking a train

Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 19 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time it should take to get from Cornwall to my house <6 hours. Time I actually take 8 hours+

Routes that are interesting (crossing the Tamar valley) routes that are stupid (coming back via the south coast) stopping to look at Google maps and being distracted by a field of Llamas....

Georges_58
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:28 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so many replies. Laughing

Great insights and advice, thanks.

Well, you have changed my mind, I am not buying a motorbike for now.
And to complicate things my son entered the fray.

August 2, my son and I start CBT.

I found a training school, that will do a 2 hours taster for gear, start, stop etc. for 2 hours for £30 (designed for hesitant new comers). It'll give my son an idea what is it like. He is a bit hesitant. Stereotyping, that they are very dangerous, death machines.

If he likes it, his grand parents offered a gift of £2000 (Sheesh wish I had grand parents like that Laughing ). We'll buy hime something to use for university.

I am going with either Honda CB125R, or Suzuki GSX-S125 2022 (brand new).

I he does not like it, then when I get my A2 license, I'll just part exchange for a Royal Enfield.

I am really not into big bikes and speed. Anything that will do 70+ mph is good enough. My bike will not be my commuting machine, I have a car for that. so the bike is mainly for weekends and holidays.

I am just trying to do the best for my situation with minimum expenses. Very Happy

What do you think?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a student a car is a very expensive option (insurance anyway) and if he can rinse a good few years out of a bike then buying new isn't a terrible idea.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooter

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:33 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

George if you want to buy a 125 to practice on in between lessons etc, buy something jap 2nd hand, you wont lose much at all selling it on, thats what i did, dont buy new, after doing lessons for the proper licence you WILL want something else, at first I thought i might just stick with the 125 but after going on dual carriageways and it being very much a struggle I kept on with the lessons and did my tests, ive a Bonneville now which is not a 'speed machine' though it does have plenty if i need it

just depends if your gonna do a condensed DAS over a week say, or do things lesson by lesson see how you get on, get the CBT done first see how it goes, myself I wasnt very good on my CBT and didnt think i was ready to be out on the road, id never been on a bike before my CBT, but once out on the road i got the feeling, i knew why people rode bikes

their are a lot of people on here both very experienced and fairly new so ask all the questions you have, you will get an answer

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:12 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be a bit contrary.
Whilst the majority of the advice here is good and reflects the experience of the person getting bored of their 125 pretty quick and wanting something faster, the bulk of us went through that stage as 17 year old boys. We then moved onto sports bikes in our late teens and 20s. Many have then got into older/slower/stranger things as middle age happens. A smattering of Enfields, cruisers and classics.

A 64 year old boy may not get bored with a 125 anything like as quickly, particularly a classically styled sit up and beg 125 - the wind blast compared to a fairing adds at least 20mph to how fast it feels. Open face helmet adds another 20.

Buying new or used is also less of an obvious choice now. My experience with 125s is 20 years out of date, but back then it was a case of buy something good for under a grand with the expectation that it would need frequent spannering to keep going, or buy something new for 3 grand with the understanding that it would be slower and still not very reliable.

Currently, used vehicle prices are high. Some new bikes are nearer than 2 grand mark (although possibly quite shit). A used 125 will always need some work, chances are it was owned by a multitude of teenagers with more mechanical confidence than skill.

So whilst you can expect to lose more money overall buying new and then selling it after a year or 3, it might not be that much more.

Final thought - if you do go down the route of a Chinese 125, I recommend going for something with a dealer nearby and be clear on what the warranty covers. Last time I made an enquiry on behalf of a family member, the 2 year warranty covered parts but not labour. I don't know if this is indicative of anything, but worth asking.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kwak 650 is currently out of action as it's waiting on parts to go through it's MOT. So I have been back to using my Chinese 125cc (Zontes ZT125-U) and in all honesty it's a great little bike.

I've put about 5,000 miles on it since I bought it in November 2019 and it's been ridden as a daily commute through two winters. I've not religiously cleaned it and I've only ever sprayed it with ACF50 a few times over two years. It still looks in good condition and it still drives perfectly fine.

In all honesty if my little Chinese 125cc was the only bike I had then I would be OK with that. Unless you're doing a lot of dual carriage ways then a 125cc is perfectly adequate for getting around and commuting. My morning commute is 12 miles by motorway and while I prefer not using the motorway on the 125cc, when I do it's also fine as long as you relegate yourself to always using the slow lane.

Chinese bikes get a hammering on this forum as most on here simply don't have any relevant or recent experience with them. You'll see just as many (if not more) people filling up the workshop with threads on how to fix their Japanese 125cc bikes as you will Chinese ones.

That said, I still recommend people get Japanese 125cc bikes over Chinese ones simply for the re-sale value later. If you don't care about re-sale value then a Chinese 125cc might be just the ticket for you.

Like others said, watch the details on warranties. Mine is two years parts and labour, some are only one year parts and labour. There are companies that offer extended warranties, BikingDirect say they will give a 5-year warranty on any new bike bought through them:

https://www.bikingdirect.com/shop/zontes-zt125-u/

https://www.bikingdirect.com/warranty/

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know Honda and others have bikes and parts made in China
so the real issue isn't where it was made but how.

There have been some hideously shitty bikes outa china
from over 200 factories,Yamasuki Hondasukis and similar.
A lot of these were made to a low price not a high standard.

Lexmoto.Regal, AJS, Mutt and many others just rebadge pre existing chinese/asian models and put them on a slick website with
"Redefine your spirit, the soul of motorcycling" with pics of bearded hipsters
and similar adcopy bollocks.
Avoid.
Some of the parts availability and backup is woeful at best.

Any Chinese factory that has embraced better production standards will still have
the lingering stink of a poor reputation to overcome.
Taiwan and Korean made bikes tend to have better quality
Kymco (Taiwan) for instance has long made parts for Honda.

I've fixed manys a chinese bike and scoot as well jap ones and
to be fair most were pretty easy and cheap to fix.
Japanese parts from main dealers can be eye wateringly expensive.

The 110cc Honda Vison I fixed up and flipped didn't impress me yet the SH125 I worked on after had much better build quality IMO

I'd buy a SH Chinese bike for a cheap hack but would go for a simple, no frills one like say a Lexmoto ZSB
peice of piss to work on and keep running

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FNzEwWDEwMjQ%3D%2Fz%2FVEoAAOSwGCNbhnfa%2F%24_86.JPG&f=1&nofb=1
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1