Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Expect your Deliveroo to arrive cold

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Expect your Deliveroo to arrive cold Reply with quote

Cycling: TfL to begin issuing fines to drivers in cycle lanes

Personally I try and avoid drifting into cycle lanes. Not because of my overwhelming respect for cyclists (not that there are any outside of rush hour) but because the scooter bois are busy zipping up the inside of traffic Shocked

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:52 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see if it works and what the knock-on consequences might be. Deliveroo riders around my way have become even more mental in the last few weeks.

I doubt the fines will do much. Just add another financial pressure into the pot to ride even more dangerously to make even more deliveries.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 26 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only assume that cyclists will now be fined for straying into car lanes? Nah, they'll continue to do whatever the fuck they want knowing the car drivers will always be found at fault.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:14 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car lanes?

Wtf are you talking about? Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:47 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Car lanes?

Wtf are you talking about? Laughing

The bits of road for normal people that MAMILs continue to use even though the local council has paid milions for them to have their own stretch of tarmac.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
The bits of road for normal people that MAMILs continue to use even though the local council has paid milions for them to have their own stretch of tarmac.

Fucking this. Glasgow City Council has put in loads of dedicated cycle lanes that are literally on roads that used to be two lanes wide going both directions but now are split one cycle and one motor vehicle and the scumbag cunt cyclists still use both lanes. Fucking rips my knitting.

I know there are a load of people in here that cycle about but I still fucking hate cyclists. I know not all cyclists are bad ones, it's just that the overwhelming majority of them are cunts. Sticking to cycle lanes, not running red lights and not having unwarranted self-importance issues would go a long way to de-cuntifying the cyclist population. Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The essence of man is, arguably, to expand into spaces. However, most of those spaces in the world as we know it are already under someone's dominion. Hydro-dam projects are often sort of national vanity projects - a habit leftover from Soviet times. Iran, for example, built 650 dams in 40 years (it still has water shortages lol). Lots of countries build dams for similar reasons. They'll say it's for the environment or for energy or for commerce, but the only thing they have in common is that they're a huge investment. In Britain there are new rivers, canals and weirs, which are our equivalent. Along dams, you get mountain goats. Along the weirs, you get butterflies, maybe a couple of otters or beavers, if you're lucky. The goats, butterflies, otters and beavers think it's natural, but it isn't natural. It's more like the ability of natural organisms to adapt has been exploited by man. Add to this, cycle paths. People will adapt. However, the essence of man (to expand into spaces) becomes a source of constraint leading to conflict, just as there is conflict in nature. There's something disturbing about this conflict itself being centrally planned. Is man nothing more than a resource for other men? Or part of an ecosystem to be managed for no apparent reason? What about man's innate will and desire to expand into spaces?

This is where a lot of things come to a head. From motorcycles (in the old days), to wilderness camping, to cyclists who run red lights.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
The essence of man is, arguably, to expand into spaces. However, most of those spaces in the world as we know it are already under someone's dominion. Hydro-dam projects are often sort of national vanity projects - a habit leftover from Soviet times. Iran, for example, built 650 dams in 40 years (it still has water shortages lol). Lots of countries build dams for similar reasons. They'll say it's for the environment or for energy or for commerce, but the only thing they have in common is that they're a huge investment. In Britain there are new rivers, canals and weirs, which are our equivalent. Along dams, you get mountain goats. Along the weirs, you get butterflies, maybe a couple of otters or beavers, if you're lucky. The goats, butterflies, otters and beavers think it's natural, but it isn't natural. It's more like the ability of natural organisms to adapt has been exploited by man. Add to this, cycle paths. People will adapt. However, the essence of man (to expand into spaces) becomes a source of constraint leading to conflict, just as there is conflict in nature. There's something disturbing about this conflict itself being centrally planned. Is man nothing more than a resource for other men? Or part of an ecosystem to be managed for no apparent reason? What about man's innate will and desire to expand into spaces?

This is where a lot of things come to a head. From motorcycles (in the old days), to wilderness camping, to cyclists who run red lights.

Mate I came here to talk shit about cyclists, not to engage fucking Aristotle in debate Laughing Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:24 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

So when you say car lanes, you're meaning the roads that are for everyone to use?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would estimate significantly less than half of cyclists are actually causing any problems, it's just the ones who act like total knobheads stick in your memory, the ones that obey you forget about a few seconds after passing them.

In terms of cycle infrastructure, well that's a whole other area. I cycle a lot (commuting, not so much for pleasure these days) and the issue is an awful lot of cycle infrastructure just isn't fit for purpose, despite how many millions the local authorities are throwing at it (incompetent road designers are partly to blame, but also woefully poor national design standards which guide them). I will generally use cycle infrastructure where it works, but if it's going to be less safe for me to use (ironically) then I will merge with the traffic. In my case, I am hoofing along at a similar pace to the rest of traffic so I don't cause any issues anyway (and signal my intentions clearly, don't wear earphones, obey the rules of the road etc..). I can think of plenty of examples of cycle lanes that abruptly turn into a side road before crossing over, or randomly end forcing you to rejoin traffic at 90 degrees, all of which actually introduce hazards. Meanwhile they're covered in broken glass because they don't get swept as often (if at all), leaves, standing water, errant pedestrians (headphones in, naturally) etc.. It might be a better fit for a "casual" (or nervous) cyclist on a sit-up-and-beg with a basket on the front who ambles along at 8mph and is terrified of traffic (loads of generalisations there, sorry about that), but for anyone even remotely interested at actually cycling any distance (which usually equates to going faster too) most infrastructure is hopeless.

No idea what the infrastructure in the capital is like these days, maybe it's different, but around here anything segregated is almost without exception utterly useless.

Edit: going to chime in with this last observation; food delivery peeps on bicycles are the biggest single two-wheeled problem in Manchester. They are almost constantly glued to their 'phone as they cycle along (presumably getting order info, or navigating), rarely have lights, dress in dark clothes, ignore traffic signals, weave around and behave totally unpredictably. If only my bike had James Bond style accessories I would have a ball . . .

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

So when you say car lanes, you're meaning the roads that are for everyone to use?

I think the feeling is "give and take." Other road users wouldn't have so much cause to grumble if the statement were "we'll fine ppl for driving across the white line but at the same time we will fine cyclists for jumping red lights." Obviously not a practical thing to enforce but it's the unfairness ppl rail against.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be all for enforcement against cyclists; it irks me when I stop at a traffic light and some cretin zooms through. Said cretin becomes the menace everyone then remembers. They have actually a number of times in Manchester set up enforcement traps on Oxford Road near the hospital/Uni (which if you know it, is a "cycle/bus corridor" but is also occupied by an ever higher than usual proportion of plonkers, both peds and on bikes) so that does happen sometimes, but you're back to the issues around traceability of bicycles. Unless plod is there and physically stops you, how do you ever issue a fine?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ride a motorbike I see myself as a lycra clad knobhead cyclist and use the pronoun Cunt when doing so. I can now use cycle lanes without prosecution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
When I ride a motorbike I see myself as a lycra clad knobhead cyclist and use the pronoun Cunt when doing so. I can now use cycle lanes without prosecution.

https://i.redd.it/vzjx4k9rubv31.jpg

Congratulations on your transition! Simply inspirational! #BRAVE

Laughing Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to be honest. I ran a red light yesterday evening when out on my (pedal) bike. No road traffic was there but one car waiting at the lights. It wasn't a dangerous situation or a built-up place. It felt good. Liberating, even. I also rode up onto the pavement when I was coming up to T junctions where you would have to give way if you were on the road. It felt safer and it saved time.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 27 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest, im more concerned with electric scooters than bicycles these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:59 - 06 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we didn't have restrictive motorbike legislation then how many of those cyclists or e-scooters would be on moped instead.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
If we didn't have restrictive motorbike legislation then how many of those cyclists or e-scooters would be on moped instead.

I would rather they were on a moped with registration plate for identification and mandatory insurance to cover accidents and injuries than have neither on a e-bicycle or e-scooter!

I don't think CBT is a big bar to entry but I would make it a one-time thing if all they ever want is a 50cc or 125cc and after CBT they can just ride forever on that level.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every ticket I've been issued by TfL they have backed down over and not allowed it to go to PATA's including ones with photographic evidence and and video evidence. Doesn't bode well.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 22 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Expect your Deliveroo to arrive cold.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1