Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When is reporting not reporting?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: When is reporting not reporting? Reply with quote

It seems nowadays that if you are reporting a subject that as far as the media outlet (in this case the BBC) where something horrible and nasty has been said, you don't have to report what was said, just innuendos and suggestive terminology is acceptable.

Case today - i]]Lewis Hamilton: F1 condemns Nelson Piquet's racially abusive language about British driver[/i]

In the text the closest we get to what was actually said was Hamilton had been "lucky" only Verstappen crashed, and used a swear word in expressing his opinion that Hamilton had made a mistake.

Now what does that mean? I presume he didn't use the word n****r (see, evem I'm doing it) as he would have been lynched so what did he say and how can someone make a personal assessment of how it was meant? Are we just to take the BBC's word for it and get out the pitchforks? (edited to add, it seems that it is indeed what he said but in Portuguese)

We had the same with that Indian woman saying things about Allah. Everyone up in arms but no one reporting what she actually said, just that it was bad, oh so not inclusive. Rolling Eyes I had no idea what she actually said and the only inkling I have now is that arry said it was about Allah and child marriage.

Is this what we can expect from the media, It's bad, so bad we can't actually print it but take our word for it and be offended?

Last edited by Polarbear on 13:27 - 28 Jun 2022; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:17 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just the BBC.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/28/uncceptable-f1-nelson-piquet-under-fire-for-racist-epithet-about-lewis-hamilton

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/lewis-hamilton-nelson-piquet-racism-27345086

https://www.planetf1.com/news/f1-and-mercedes-condemn-piquet-after-hamilton-racial-slur/

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/12641745/lewis-hamilton-mercedes-and-formula-1-condemn-racially-abusive-language-used-by-nelson-piquet-about-british-driver

Just a small selection of the many articles.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirror actually said it was n****** that was said, and if so yes, he should be castigated for it.

My point was more about the BBC and others not actually reporting what was said though. If they did the same as the Mirror and put the n***** is that not acceptable and informative. without being offensive?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view of the MSM is like the mirror of Hubble (one for older readers) yes we know it's distorted but the distortion is predictable and therefore some useful information can still be extracted.

In this case bear in mind that context is irrelevant therefore repeating racial epithets verbatim makes the reporter as bad as the perpetrator. Shoot the messenger and all that.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:14 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Time has come for action."

https://i.imgur.com/eJKhuFM.png
Go ahead, apologise!!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:33 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So itr was an N word but not the one you are having such a tizzy about the MSM not using.

It's one you wouldn't even know.

'after he twice used the derogatory Portuguese phrase “neguinho" while discussing Hamilton.'

So it was the right wing media (Mirror) that actually implied it was the one used to describe the new sheriff in 'blazing Saddles' as he approched the town.

So, which one was bending the truth? The BBC who reported it as a racial slur and it's one that none of us know or the Mirror that implied it was the first word in the name of the band NWA?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this just another "that bridge has a slope" moments for the media?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:03 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's telling Lewis was so quick to ignore the translation and context and start with his muh oppression, racing is raciss narrative whilst obviously counting his hundreds of millions of dollars, and polishing his vast trophy collection.

In other news today a Red Bull (junior) F2 driver did drop an N-bomb whilst playing CoD. Sacked, career likely over. Seems reasonable... Neutral

Clip that got him fired: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxovTCrf_E

[Juri Vips: Red Bull terminate test driver's contract after racist slur in gaming stream]

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:57 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I think it's telling Lewis was so quick to ignore the translation and context and start with his muh oppression, racing is raciss narrative whilst obviously counting his hundreds of millions of dollars, and polishing his vast trophy collection.

In other news today a Red Bull (junior) F2 driver did drop an N-bomb whilst playing CoD. Sacked, career likely over. Seems reasonable... Neutral

Clip that got him fired: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxovTCrf_E

[Juri Vips: Red Bull terminate test driver's contract after racist slur in gaming stream]

On the Lewis thing - he wasn't going to need much by way of encouragement to start kicking off. But Nelson is a first class muppet and always has been and it wouldn't surprise me if he were to be using it as a racial slur rather than just a colloquial term of affection.

On Vips - he's young, there's very little evidence of him actually being a racist, and has seemingly got himself done in for good by using a word, that is pop culture through and through, but reserved for use by black people only.

As a white person, if you happen to like rap music or Tarantino films, you're essentially barred from repeating the lyrics or script regardless of the context.

I nearly fell into the trap about a decade ago, making a joke about how we were going to get back at one of our competitors who had taken some business off of us, and I repeated the lines of Pulp Fiction, involving certain individuals coming over to go to work with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I does make you wonder, considering that it was said a while ago and was known a while ago, why it's being brought up now, just before the British F1 race. You do wonder if they want to paint Verstapen as raciist by association. That is using race a s a political weapon and by doing so is racist in itself. So after Hamilton used the phrase " Is it because I is Black" quoting Ali G but making a point. He used the knee bending to push his race agenda and mind games. That hasn't worked and now he has to call others racist to try and play mind games and get ahead. Don't forget Pique will have had racist remarks towards him during his career and they aren't as touchy in his country. Plus Hamilton mixes with people who use the N word as freely as they breath, so he can't be that offended.

Either all can use it or no one. If no one used it it would have died years ago. By the way it's ok for Blacks and Browns can be as racist as they want towards white people, the BBC and Netflix even encourage it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
On the Lewis thing - he wasn't going to need much by way of encouragement to start kicking off.

It's beyond tiresome now. If it wasn't for whitey he'd be a plasterer from Stevenage.

arry wrote:
But Nelson is a first class muppet and always has been and it wouldn't surprise me if he were to be using it as a racial slur rather than just a colloquial term of affection.

Shit Nelson Piquet says.

arry wrote:
On Vips - he's young, there's very little evidence of him actually being a racist, and has seemingly got himself done in for good by using a word, that is pop culture through and through, but reserved for use by black people only.

Which in itself is racist. He used a word in a game, a word black people themselves have turned into the most well known racial slur in history, and immediately apologised afterwards.

The Dailymail headline: 'Red Bull SACK Formula Two driver Juri Vips following alleged use of shocking racist language'. How is it shocking? You hear black people using it on the street, in black music and TV/film all the time.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I does make you wonder, considering that it was said a while ago and was known a while ago, why it's being brought up now, just before the British F1 race. You do wonder if they want to paint Verstapen as raciist by association.

I was wondering that. Also Max was one of the few drivers that didn't take a knee at any point, I know that upset Hamilton and F1 has completely changed since, the coverage is full on woke now.

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2020/07/12/14/f1-styrian-grand-prix.jpg?quality=75&width=982&height=726&auto=webp%20

Skudd wrote:
So after Hamilton used the phrase " Is it because I is Black" quoting Ali G but making a point. He used the knee bending to push his race agenda and mind games. That hasn't worked and now he has to call others racist to try and play mind games and get ahead.

He said that in 2011 when he was driving like a tard, and kept getting penalties so even back then he was trying to portray himself as the victim. Lewis like most black people just used Saint Floyd's death as the trigger to go on the attack. I don't think it's mind games just his eternal victimhood.

Skudd wrote:
Either all can use it or no one. If no one used it it would have died years ago. By the way it's ok for Blacks and Browns can be as racist as they want towards white people, the BBC and Netflix even encourage it.

Precisely. There are racist words I've only ever heard on TV, if those communities regularly used them themselves they'd be in common use like the n-word is.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis Hamilton: world's no.1 race card driver Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1