Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Would you consider a > 60k mile bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:56 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Would you consider a > 60k mile bike? Reply with quote

Im probably getting a new bike later this year and looking at the used market for one...

Found one bike in my budget (used bikes aren't as cheap as they used to be D: )

But this bike is over 60k miles on it. Its actually only a few years old too.

are bikes with that many miles dead to you? Or is it worth considering?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider it, depending on the type of bike it is and how it's been maintained. What are you looking at?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had my 66,000 mile ZX6R over 20 years and the previous owner only put 1200 miles on it. I took it off the road a few years ago to give it a deep clean, service and cosmetic tidy up because although it was riding as good as ever it was a bit tatty. It now looks youthful and still goes well. My point is mileage shouldn’t be a worry, it’s condition and history. How many owners? Price? Model?

On the other hand, would I buy somebody else’s 66k bike? Unlikely. There are plenty of affordable, lower mileage bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:06 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 2015 VFR800 for £3990. It looks fine but can only see so much on a sales listing.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:23 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

60k ? really ? why wouldn't you consider it >

It's only in the UK that this is thought of as a high mileage bike.
I was looking at buying a bike in the states for using when I go over there. Plenty on sale with 100k or more.

Most low mileage Harleys across there have 40 or 50k on them.

If it was 60k on a car you'd think it was nearly new.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:35 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:

I was looking at buying a bike in the states for using when I go over there. Plenty on sale with 100k or more.

I honestly dont know tbh. My brother says stay away from it... im not really sure to me it seems high, but its also a honda... so the engine is good for 200k :p

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once bought an NTV600 on about 77,000 miles for £300 and put somewhere around 15,000-20,000 miles on it in about six months (I was doing 90 miles a day commuting, plus social/domestic mileage as my only vehicle).

Generally speaking I wouldn't, but mostly because I just don't need to anymore.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:58 - 28 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Weisse Schlange wrote:

I honestly dont know tbh. My brother says stay away from it... im not really sure to me it seems high, but its also a honda... so the engine is good for 200k :p

Condition, and history.

You already know you are buying a bike that can cope with miles.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:43 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last bike before the current NC750x was a Fazer FZ6 it had 80k on it when I got it and 129,900 when the ECU died
OK I knew the bike well as I had serviced it from 30k
I do not worry about miles that much more condition and having been maintained BUT I never buy a bike that done less than 1000 a year and would also avoid Garage queens
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some bikes are low mileage toys and have been ragged, I always wonder why some people change bikes so often and then I see them ride, knackered bike. A well maintained bike is more important than mileage. Even a tatty looking bike can be better than a polished bike as some spend more time with the polish for a Sunday afternoon pose than they do with a spanner for the trip there and back.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highest milage bike I've had was a Mk1 Goldwing, the GL1000. It had over 60000 mile on it when I bought it and over 100000 when it finally needed some serious engines work (rebore due to compression loss).

Buying a high milage bike wouldn't bother me at all especially if some one had service history or receipts and looked like it was looked after.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine in the VFR is pretty solid and is essentially the same lump that's been in use for 20 years, albeit with a few tweaks. It's a solid motorcycle - I'd have no qualms if it's got a full service history. Biggest likely issue on a Viffer with that mileage is valve clearances; think they were due every 16k miles on that year, so I'd be looking for solid evidence they've been checked at the required intervals. It's no minor task either, requires an awful lot of dismantling to do - usually close to a grand at the main dealer. Bear that in mind, particularly as in theory the next set of checks is due soon.

It's the last gen of VFR, for me it's the perfect blend of modernity and yet still being a "bike bike", i.e. it's not totally focussed around tech. It gets LED headlights, basic traction control and that fabulous engine. RichyVida of YouTube has something like 90k on his VFR (albeit an earlier model, but still essentially the same engine).

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:07 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice guys thanks,
Yeah apparently it has a full service history, before I purchase it (if i do ) ill ask to look at its log book.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing to consider is resale value if that's important to you.

I struggled to shift my KTM on because 39k or whatever it was on was considered high mileage by the dealers so they lowballed offers. Got shot of it private but that is sometimes a faff.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
BUT I never buy a bike that done less than 1000 a year and would also avoid Garage queens

The generous part ex price I got for my 3000 mile (apparently ragged Rolling Eyes ) 2016 bike would seem to suggest low
mileage bikes are considerably more valuable and sought after than well used examples. Besides, I can't be arsed to
sell privately for the sake of maybe an extra 500 quid if that, too many chancers, tyre kickers and piss takers.

I prefer brand new bikes and nearly new cars with as low mileage as possible. I've bought high mileage vehicles before
and ended up spending bundles on them. Not so bothered about low mileage vans, My transit is a high miler and is
due a good grands worth of work to keep it running nice, cambelt and water pump kit, new clutch and replacement sump
pan all bought and waiting to go on the van next week before its MOT. I can also see the value in having an anonymous,
tatty vehicle that you can leave anywhere, my white van is perfect for this. My bike however, never leaves my sight unless
its inside my shed, I'm either on it or it's locked away. Period.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Good advice guys thanks,
Yeah apparently it has a full service history, before I purchase it (if i do ) ill ask to look at its log book.

They've all got full service histories - the question is can you believe them. There are almost certainly shops around here that just listen to the damn things and stamp the book - I've heard first hand accounts of this. If you DO trust the stamps, so be it. I personally wouldn't - unless it was a vfr800 of recent vintage, and then I might....simply because to not trust them could mean a fairly hefty spend. Could be north of £500 if valve adjustment is needed. Even more if v-tech.

So then you might also want some tyres, chain and sprockets, some greasing of suspension linkages, swing arm bushings, etc. The Japanese manufacturers got really stingy with grease not that long ago. If you DID need all that, and a bit more, you could be into four figures. With the valve check (+ adjustment), you might be looking at a goodly chunk of expenditure. I mean, some of the 750s wanted shocks after 30k, for instance.

I bought a big-ish V-reg Jap bike w/ 18k on it, and straight away had to spend. On little stuff like a fuel pipe perished, but also I did have to bite the bullet and get a valve check - typically the exhaust valves had tightened. So there was shimming shenanigans involved. After about 18 months I also had a swing arm bush let go - and that was chucking me wide in corners, seriously tried to kill me twice. So costs add up, and it can be dangerous to neglect stuff, hoping that the PO is as good as their word, or their mechanic's.

Put some surreptitious witness marks on bolts and fasteners, if you don't have a tame and trusted fettler. There's no easy way with this stuff. You have to be sceptical where appropriate, but you also have to be able to have some faith in your chosen bloke.

In answer to your question, though, no I don't think I would consider that money and those miles on this particular bike - but it's difficult to say without seeing it, etc. I think they're heavier than they should be, I prefer the looks, and gear driven cams of the 750s, and so would be after a 20k-ish mile example of those for about £2.5k preferably. Then chucking a few hundred at it and maybe a grand depending on how it feels and sounds, idles, starts, steers, etc. etc.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Its a 2015 VFR800 for £3990. It looks fine but can only see so much on a sales listing.

I don't consider 60,000 miles to be a deal killer; my first VFR had 57,000 on the clock when I bought it. But there were several low mileage examples for sale at the time, and I was able to negotiate a very favorable price. If you are going to consider a high mileage bike, make sure you work a deal that is in your favor.

£3990 is nearly 40% of what that bike cost new. I might be willing to pay that price for a bike with 12-15K miles on it; not a 7 year old VFR with 60,000 miles. By the sound if it, that bike is overpriced.

The eighth gen VFRs had VTEC. Older bikes (5th gen and earlier) had gear driven cams; you had to remove the camshafts to adjust the valves. But on the VTEC models, the camshafts need to come out in order to check the valve clearances. (Then back out to make the adjustment, then back in to check the adjustment), Couple that with the fact that the tank, airbox, and throttle body have to come out in order to access the valve covers, and you see why the service costs on the VTEC VFRs is so expensive, and why this maintenance is often deferred. Personally, I would not get a VTEC bike unless I planned to do the valve checks myself. It's not extraordinarily difficult, but it is time consuming.

Unless you are a real VFR enthusiast with the knowledge and skill to keep the bike roadworthy, it is probably best to take a pass on this bike. Not because of the mileage, but because of the complexities of the maintenance requirements.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:31 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

I don't consider 60,000 miles to be a deal killer; my first VFR had 57,000 on the clock when I bought it. But there were several low mileage examples for sale at the time, and I was able to negotiate a very favorable price. If you are going to consider a high mileage bike, make sure you work a deal that is in your favor.

£3990 is nearly 40% of what that bike cost new. I might be willing to pay that price for a bike with 12-15K miles on it; not a 7 year old VFR with 60,000 miles. By the sound if it, that bike is overpriced.

The eighth gen VFRs had VTEC. Older bikes (5th gen and earlier) had gear driven cams; you had to remove the camshafts to adjust the valves. But on the VTEC models, the camshafts need to come out in order to check the valve clearances. (Then back out to make the adjustment, then back in to check the adjustment), Couple that with the fact that the tank, airbox, and throttle body have to come out in order to access the valve covers, and you see why the service costs on the VTEC VFRs is so expensive, and why this maintenance is often deferred. Personally, I would not get a VTEC bike unless I planned to do the valve checks myself. It's not extraordinarily difficult, but it is time consuming.

Unless you are a real VFR enthusiast with the knowledge and skill to keep the bike roadworthy, it is probably best to take a pass on this bike. Not because of the mileage, but because of the complexities of the maintenance requirements.

Im certainly technically capable of doing it myself... but i admit.... Times a little on the short side at the moment.
Truth is, ill probably have to pass on this bike anyway as I wont have the money ready for a few months yet. So i wanted to post to get a good idea... If this one is still around or if another like it comes up...

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold a 2012 vfr800X for 3300, 30k miles. That bike is overpriced.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:42 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably wouldn't any more, because why would I, just get a lower miles better condition example etc.

It could be a good buy, and I would gamble in the past but nah not anymore.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:53 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
I just sold a 2012 vfr800X for 3300, 30k miles. That bike is overpriced.

Good to know but im also after the 8th gen 2014+

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:08 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a VFR ffs. It'll still be running when we're all dead and gone.

Even my 500 has 76k on it and is fine.

As long as you budget in things like suspension refreshes it'll be fine.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:45 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know very little about that particular model but my gut feeling is this:

jeffyjeff wrote:
...£3990 is nearly 40% of what that bike cost new. I might be willing to pay that price for a bike with 12-15K miles on it; not a 7 year old VFR with 60,000 miles. By the sound if it, that bike is overpriced...

To my mind, bikes at that mileage need to be cheap enough to be disposable because after you've had it a few years it'll be effectively worthless.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:07 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the idea of a higher mileage bike, they are sufficiently well built to go round the clock a few times with routine maintenance, I wouldn't do it.
Every high miles bike I have owned has been pretty knackered, because the routine maintenance didn't happen. The bike was someone else's workhorse for doing a long commute for a long time. On all the ones I have owned, that meant it got run into the ground with insufficient maintenance.

If you are going to look at it, bits I would check carefully are:
- Rear suspension. Is the shock fucked, is the linkage worn away with lots of play.
- Headstock bearings, are they notchy.
- Brakes. Do they feel wooden. A proper strip and clean sorts it out. Look for any hint of warping/scoring on the discs, are they worn thin.

The engine and fuel system are probably fine. It's all the bushes and bearings in the chassis that get worn and cost a surprising amount of time and money to sort.

Then you're left with a bike no-one wants to buy at the end of it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:15 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to the listing?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2