Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Interview for great job

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Interview for great job Reply with quote

Tomorrow I have an interview for a job which would be the realisation of a lifetime ambition!

It's for the UKAEA developing fusion reactors.

If I get the job, give me a few days and a following wind and I'll have a commercial fusion device up and running, providing the UK with limitless clean energy and making Greta dance with joy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

the oil companies would arrange for you to have a little accident before that happened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you make me one like in Back to the Future
where the doc drops banana peel and trash in a Mr Fusion?
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!

there's a drink in it for ya

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbacktothepredictions.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2FMrFusion1.png&f=1&nofb=1

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 29 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the problem with fusion reactors still that we can't really keep them running for more than a few seconds, and we can't really get the energy out effectively?

Last I heard (which admittedly was a few years ago), that was the hold up.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that’s at Culham? I live in the area so friends and neighbours work in the various science enterprises around here, including Culham and Tokomak. It seems that fusion energy is always just out of reach, so if you could get it over the line that would be great, thanks.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:37 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you didn't say cheap energy because it won't be.

Wake me up in 50-100 years when they'll still be telling us it's 30 years away.....

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes It's at Culham, and very much agree it's one of those things that has always been 30 years away.

And you're right Zen Dog, the problem has been that we can't reach 'break even', or Q=1. The best so far was achieved by JET about 20 years ago which was 24MW in , 16MW out so Q=0.67 - there's still some way to go.

And pride comes before a fall. Interview didn't go well Sad I think it's because it was a Project Manager job and I bleated on about technical stuff and either bored the pants off them or wasn't PM enough.

Anyway, i've not heard back in nearly a week so I guess Greta's still in a job for now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1