Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Textile jackets. What’s good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Textile jackets. What’s good? Reply with quote

I think my Wolf Titanium 3/4 length all-season jacket is nearing end of life. Some of the Velcro is giving up as well as a lower seam stitch. It’s been excellent but it’s time to look for a replacement.

I’m not taken in by Gore-Tex, Outlast or all that “breathable” rubbish and I don’t want to pay Rukka prices. It just needs to be shower-proof without absorbing its own weight in water. I use PVC-type outers in really wet weather.

What’s good?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:47 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a weise jacket and RST overtrousers.

A pair of weise trousers left me with no injuries depite them basically being destroyed after a 60 MPH off in the fast lane of the M5.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:42 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cheap IXON textile jacket, and it's really good. Warm in the winter, cool-ish in the summer and it's yet to leak. People rave about the Rukka stuff, but seeing as it costs ten times as much as my jacket, I'm happy to keep it until it leaks, and then buy another (if I can find one).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an IXON jacket, definitely a solid pick Thumbs Up I prefer something a bit lighter in the summer though.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy with IXS textiles here (from J&S)

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:07 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Re: Textile jackets. What’s good? Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I think my Wolf Titanium 3/4 length all-season jacket is nearing end of life. Some of the Velcro is giving up as well as a lower seam stitch. It’s been excellent but it’s time to look for a replacement.

I’m not taken in by Gore-Tex, Outlast or all that “breathable” rubbish and I don’t want to pay Rukka prices. It just needs to be shower-proof without absorbing its own weight in water. I use PVC-type outers in really wet weather.

What’s good?

if you want near Rukka for half Rukka money, look at Halvarssons

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently wear one of these:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/454417

Held up well in a few downpours that I've been in and wasn't that expensive.

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 04 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: Textile jackets. What’s good? Reply with quote

The Oxford Hinterland jacket and trousers get glowing reviews. Allegedly, it’s on a par with Rukka without costing Rukka money:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/textile-jackets-trousers-suits/oxford-hinterland-review

The Hinterland is CE ‘AA’ rated for protection, whereas many similar-priced textiles only get the lower ‘A’ rating (crap protection).

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 04 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy most of my gear used so whatever's a bargain.
Hein Gericke, Ixon, Furygan, SIDI, Alpinestars are all in my wardrobe.

Last edited by grr666 on 18:27 - 02 Oct 2022; edited 1 time in total

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 05 Aug 2022    Post subject: Re: Textile jackets. What’s good? Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

What’s good?

I stand by my Richa Phantom II jacket (£179.99), did a review thread previously. Richa factory gives good aftersales support. It's pretty good with the thermal liner taken out and vents open for summer riding too. Vents shut and thermal liner in again and it becomes a fucking boiler during the winter.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 05 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an IXS jacket which is "fine"; it was about £180 I think, it's fairly waterproof, has some hi-viz flashes on it for visibility and a handful of vents. Find it comfortable enough, although the wrists are fraying a bit now (nothing structural, just cosmetic). 4 years of use. Probably will replace it next year - that Oxford Hinterland stuff looks really good actually; I like textiles but most have an "official" abrasion resistance of A rating at best, so the Oxford stuff looks good. I know there are some high-brow brands with better, but I'm not spending 4 figures on a jacket/trouser combo.

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 05 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
that Oxford Hinterland stuff looks really good actually; I like textiles but most have an "official" abrasion resistance of A rating at best, so the Oxford stuff looks good.

I think the Hinterland jacket and trousers are Oxford’s standout gear (AA-rated protection, laminated waterproofing, direct-to-skin ventilation). The rest of Oxford’s current clothing is only A-rated, i.e. crap protection.

ThunderGuts wrote:

I know there are some high-brow brands with better, but I'm not spending 4 figures on a jacket/trouser combo.

And there are many high-price brands with low protection ratings (e.g., Rukka and some Dainese). The latest top-of-the-range Rukka suit, the Nivala 2, costs over two grand Shocked yet only has an A-rating. An A-rating means the clothing resists abrasion in a slide up to a 28 mph Rolling Eyes

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true. What frustrates me a bit is it's feasible to make textile trousers (i.e. aramid jeans) that can be AA or even AAA rated and relatively inexpensive (RoadSkin do some that are, or were, circa £150) but that tech never seems to make it to jackets frustratingly (for the most part anyway). Surely the affordable tech is there, someone just needs to weave it to a different material than cotton and apply a waterproof backing layer and you've got a highly abrasion resistant, waterproof, affordable jacket?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats wrong with leather these days?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't like it; it's hot in hot weather and appalling in the rain. I just find textiles so much more comfy. It suits my riding.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

will textiles hold up against leather in a crash? ive always thought not.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:38 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walked away from binning it it in the fast lane of the m5 with just a few scratches. My textiles were trashed though..

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
will textiles hold up against leather in a crash? ive always thought not.

I mean, at the end of the day leather's always going to give you optimum protection - there's a reason why it's mandatory on racetracks, innit?

but
ThunderGuts wrote:
I just don't like it; it's hot in hot weather and appalling in the rain. I just find textiles so much more comfy. It suits my riding.

Modern textiles are way better than they used to be, so the gap between leather and textiles is much smaller than a generation ago, which is why so many riders now trust them. Personally, a lot of the miles I put on my bike are in in Europe over the summer months, and I just can't imagine wearing leathers with temperatures in the high thirties.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:01 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just come back from Malta, over 30 degrees every day and the most protection I saw on the scooterists (and most of the other bikes) was a slightly thicker flip flop sole.

Don't know what the accident rate there is but the outcomes must be far worse whatever it is!!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
whats wrong with leather these days?

I wore a Furygan Brutale leather jacket for years and it acquired a cool ‘patina’ but then late-middle-aged spread made it too small. I bought the latest version but in the interim I’d been wearing a Wolf textile jacket which was a bit longer and more comfortable than than the high-waisted leather jacket and got much more use.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got £40 jacket and £40 bottoms off ebay. I've got about 50k on them - the jacket's dirty as fvck now, and won't come clean. And the velcro is all tired and rubbish - but I just carefully cut the stitching and glued some new strips on. Obviously you can only really do that once, but so what at that price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163469798326?hash=item260f8f2bb6:g:F68AAOSwHglcMK7l

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265085688149?hash=item3db8569955:g:joYAAOSwnmxgR8eZ

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163469798326
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265085688149

You really want to test how effective those are sliding on your arse at 80 mph?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please!!

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe someone could help you simulate it with a belt sander.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

so crazy it might just work!

https://c.tenor.com/uNPlmy9cBU4AAAAM/mac-gyver-smiling.gif

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3