Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

And the next celeb RIPs are..............

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:27 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. 65yrs a MC member.

Quite the character.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC didn't even pen the briefest article reporting it. Strange, as they did report some kid who died from cancer because he was famous for playing Minecraft (?)

Anyway, I do like watching American movies of the 60s and 70s, and Sonny Barger was in a couple of them. Must admit though, for most of us today, if the world of motorcycling was just a tenth as exciting as how it was back then, we wouldn't have anything to do with motorcycles. In those days, it was only a certain type, it seems. Electric offroad bikes are probably today's equivalent. Anyway, I digress.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:41 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bbc should report the death of some washed up scummer? He's hardly al copone and had none of his redeeming features.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that might be a little judgmental dude. He was the cream that rose to the top of what were the morals and environ of 1960s/1970s America. Just a guy who was willing to take it a step beyond what was accepted... To a greater or lesser degree, many people of today have a little touch left over from that era but try to keep it to themselves for fear of punishment. For better or worse, what he represented was a totally defunct system of values and mores, and I realise that, but it's the same spirit that lets that throttle rip or makes us rev unnecessarily, or run a red or whatever. That's just a fraction of a percent of what once was. A tiny fraction.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
He was the cream that rose to the top of what were the morals and environ of 1960s/1970s America. Just a guy who was willing to take it a step beyond what was accepted... To a greater or lesser degree, many people of today have a little touch left over from that era but try to keep it to themselves for fear of punishment. For better or worse, what he represented was a totally defunct system of values and mores, and I realise that, but it's the same spirit that lets that throttle rip or makes us rev unnecessarily, or run a red or whatever. That's just a fraction of a percent of what once was. A tiny fraction.

You what?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Think that might be a little judgmental dude. He was the cream that rose to the top of what were the morals and environ of 1960s/1970s America. Just a guy who was willing to take it a step beyond what was accepted... To a greater or lesser degree, many people of today have a little touch left over from that era but try to keep it to themselves for fear of punishment. For better or worse, what he represented was a totally defunct system of values and mores, and I realise that, but it's the same spirit that lets that throttle rip or makes us rev unnecessarily, or run a red or whatever. That's just a fraction of a percent of what once was. A tiny fraction.

He was a class a drug dealer, he also sold guns and explosives to other 'outlaws', he was a violent man who broke his wife's back and ribs as well as damaging her spleen.

Hardly a paragon of virtue in any sense of the word.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtu vs vicio...

Some people (quite a lot from that generation) think that to get anything done, you can't be a good guy. Only bad guys achieve anything and get the job done. He was a celebrity though, especially on the America planet (where Hollywood is more real than real life), so I'm a bit surprised they didn't do a short piece about him.

It's just a general sense of badassery that used to be intrinsic to motorcycles. It wasn't people like you and me who were interested in riding bikes. In the old days, only callous and rough people were into bikes. It deviated considerably from the American Way. He played up to that image and built something. It was at just the right time (1960s) to ensure that bikes were considered youthful and cool.

Imagine today, some stabby youths on an estate causing mayhem for "clout". There will be some people who consider that disorder and rule-breaking is the only way to get things done in the world. The rest, who just vaguely look like them, will be considered cool. I might not even be able to a wheelie on an e-bike (never ridden one) but if the only people seen to be riding e-bikes are athletic, miscreant youths - vicious criminal teenagers, then I would have that "halo" around me if I bought one and started riding it tomorrow even though I couldn't wheelie it. Whereas one of us, if we were the sort who first bought e-bikes lawfully and started riding them around lawfully, we would probably instantly kill the coolness of e-bikes in a deft stroke. Doesn't matter what colour it was painted, or how much it was made to resemble a dirt bike. You have to be Steve McQueen or even Sonny Barger to make anything seem cool.

I guess what it comes down to is that he was notable because he didn't have any gifts from Olympus so he stole the secret of fire and did something with it. Sort of like Robin Hood, but without any regard for the poor. Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:03 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically scummy with no redeeming features, as I said.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Virtu vs vicio...

It's just a general sense of badassery that used to be intrinsic to motorcycles. It wasn't people like you and me who were interested in riding bikes. In the old days, only callous and rough people were into bikes. It deviated considerably from the American Way. He played up to that image and built something. It was at just the right time (1960s) to ensure that bikes were considered youthful and cool.

My father rode motorcycles from the 1930s. I grew up with motorcycles because of this. Oddly enough, my father didn't want to deal class a drugs, sell guns and explosives to criminals or commit domestic violence. My uncles were the same.

Some of my cousins were ton-up boys in the 60s. Decent folk to a man - no criminal activity, just a liking for fast riding.

I call complete and utter BS on your statement.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your father riding motorcycles at a time (pre-WW2) when they were either a mainstream form of transport for ordinary working class men, or a sporting hobby for the very wealthy, isn't relevant.

This is how post-War motorcycling was seen (rebellious, edgy, cool, borderline criminal):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waAQd5W6Yi4

I am talking about the 1960s. The above clip is from a 1970s movie, but you can see parallels with America, in many Youtube videos.

It isn't necessary to say you're opposed to some guy's historic crimes from a different era, in another country. I know we're all normies here. Plus, we who are still into petrol motorcycles are increasingly irrelevant - I hope you realise that. We aren't considered cool and our opinions aren't important. It's a new era all over again. However, the past did actually happen and it isn't BS.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:35 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a cunt. Stop trying to defend the undefenable or go buy a Harley and go full on 'lifestyle'

I'll stick with telling people that I ride.a.bike rather than a biker because that's an accociation I don't want.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Your father riding motorcycles at a time (pre-WW2) when they were either a mainstream form of transport for ordinary working class men, or a sporting hobby for the very wealthy, isn't relevant.

This is how post-War motorcycling was seen (rebellious, edgy, cool, borderline criminal):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waAQd5W6Yi4

I am talking about the 1960s. The above clip is from a 1970s movie, but you can see parallels with America, in many Youtube videos.

It isn't necessary to say you're opposed to some guy's historic crimes from a different era, in another country. I know we're all normies here. Plus, we who are still into petrol motorcycles are increasingly irrelevant - I hope you realise that. We aren't considered cool and our opinions aren't important. It's a new era all over again. However, the past did actually happen and it isn't BS.

Wrong again. In the 60s motorcycles and often outfits were seen as an affordable means of transport for many people.

Being a class a plus guns and explosives dealer isn't 'cool'. It's criminal and pondscum activity and always has been. Different era my arse.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I just like old movies. I'm not trying to defend him - obviously, if I cared about victims of any crimes he did then I would probably hate him. However - just too far removed in space, time and culture for me to care. It's just old movies and pop culture. That's fair enough with what you're saying though. I appreciate that many people have strong feelings about what's right and wrong, and want to dissociate themselves accordingly. I think it's rather admirable to be against things like hard drugs and firearms and violence just on a matter of principle. However, for me it's just a moving picture on a screen and that's all it is, really. I'm not going to buy one of those awful bikes any time soon. Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 02 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Wrong again. In the 60s motorcycles and often outfits were seen as an affordable means of transport for many people.

Being a class a plus guns and explosives dealer isn't 'cool'. It's criminal and pondscum activity and always has been. Different era my arse.

Nothing cool about this then (just another form of transport for a fine, upstanding, but poor, working man on his way to work):

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-s_S6JOIImAc/WUJrJTHE5JI/AAAAAAAAWYY/fTbnXAqLkC0lliRulKNRh-fzH3Kxk47XACLcBGAs/s1600/Mercenary%2BGarage%2BDesign%2BCustom%2BMotorcycle%2BWorkshop%2BTerminator%2B2%2BShotgun%2BHarley%2BGif.gif

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 03 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a man. It's a machine. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 03 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are we getting at here?

Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot were simply, Poorly Understood influencers of a bygone era?

Rolling Eyes

I'm going to stick to my narrow minded opinion and judge them as the Four Worst Sort of Cunts in The 20th Century. I don't count Pot as he was a cunt in his own element.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 04 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is his name Pot? Or Pol? Thinking
Cos I can never decide.

Was he actually Mr Pol or Mr Pot?
Or indeed Mr PolPot, kind of like MeatLoaf.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
But is his name Pot? Or Pol? Thinking
Cos I can never decide.

Was he actually Mr Pol or Mr Pot?
Or indeed Mr PolPot, kind of like MeatLoaf.

do you struggle with google?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many googles, so little time.

https://i.gifer.com/JWE.gif

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now ankle-deep in the Wikipedia of Pol Pot and what a LOT of interesting indochinese history there is in that one entry. Shocked

I may be some time ...
I thought I might try and read it whilst listening to The Dark Side of the Moon, maybe see how many revolutions around that I end up doing before I finish the damn entry.

But I am already distracted with thoughts of the finance guy at work when he was lecturing me on NHS financial structures.

https://i.gifer.com/3HWu.gif

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:53 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

But I am already distracted with thoughts of the finance guy at work when he was lecturing me on NHS financial structures.

https://i.gifer.com/3HWu.gif

Once again, the usual warning that the machine gun nests will be manned around che Nobby.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 05 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down, lad.
You're perfectly safe.
I gave up married men for Lent back in 1998 Wink Thumbs Up

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Calm down, lad.
You're perfectly safe.
I gave up married men for Lent back in 1998 Wink Thumbs Up

Beware Nobby! Please allow me to mansplain Hellkat's very carefully chosen words.

Married men were given up once, and just for a token couple of weeks in 1998. That means they've been firmly back in her sights ever since.

Make sure they're cocked and loaded. Thoughts and prayers Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:53 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all.
The operative expression is "You're perfectly safe".

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 07 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Not at all.
The operative expression is "You're perfectly safe".

Ste, beware Laughing Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Page 140 of 166