Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding in a rainy day

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

alli09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:10 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Riding in a rainy day Reply with quote

Hello bikers!

I'm planning to have a long journey and I cannot predict the weather so I need your advice. I've never ride when it was the rainy day but now I need to know how to do it in the right way.

Thank you in advance!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 05:31 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a wiper for your visor?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:54 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have a good waterproof oversuit - it's miserable being wet on a motorcycle.

Reduce speed - give yourself more thinking / braking distance, and carry lower corner speeds, reducing bike lean angle.

Be smooth with all controls - no harsh acceleration, braking, or changes in direction.

Choose lines that don't put you in conflict with metal drain covers / painted lines etc.

Just relax. If you've got decent tyres and you're going sensible nothing untoward is likely to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:44 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep everything smooth, look where you're going.

If you're on a motorway, it can help to pass HGVs in lane 3 if they are producing a lot of spray.

I'm an optomist so if I'm caught in a shower, I convince myself if the rain stops soon, I'll dry out again as I ride. I've concluded you aren't irretreivably wet until your balls are wet. After that point, only a change of clothes is going to help.

Wet cotton and especially denim will suck the heat out of your body. Wet wool, fleece or polyester will retain heat even when wet.

I've also concluded that Gore-tex isn't particularly waterproof in the context of heavy UK rain while riding a motorbike. PVC is. I do ride in some pretty extreme conditions at times though. It's probably ok for "normal" rain but if you're doing 60mph into a force 8 or 9 wind with torrential rain, the water will just go right through it.

And no, nobody else can see where they're going when riding in heavy rain either.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride in the rain a lot and I have stopped wearing waterproof gear as it's a faff to get on and off so I just carry a fresh set of clothes in my waterproof bag/ in the top box and change when I get to work (dry the travel clothes off over a radiator while I work too).

Having commuted daily in the wind, rain and snow I can tell you it really is about just slowing down a bit more than usual when turning and being smooth on the controls.

You might want to invest in a visor mounted water clearing device, something that might be called a MoistureMate or PrecipitationPal...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Choose lines that don't put you in conflict with metal drain covers / painted lines etc.

AFAIK the difference between dry and wet tarmac with regards to traction is minimal. It's a sudden transition to a low traction surface (wet man hole cover on a bend) where danger lies.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont bother to say what bike, what screen,fairings etc if any
or distance and route.
What do you call a long journey, 50 miles? 500?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've concluded you aren't irretreivably wet until your balls are wet.

..ah wet balls, there's memories Neutral

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:59 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that moment where the water has pooled above your knackers finally makes it through your overtrousers about 3 miles from home.

The slow but seemingly constant trickle of water is up there with having teeth pulled.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:07 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth noting that orange hi-viz is significantly more visible in heavy spray than yellow.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:14 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a visor with a pinlock is basically the best thing to can invest in.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a fair weather biker has its advantages. Haven't had the wet ball thing since I was a yute delivering pizzas
in all weathers on a SH50. It's crap being cold and wet so I just don't do the all weather biker thing now. I have a car
with heated seats and steering wheel, given I work at 1degree Celsius in a giant refrigerated warehouse, I come out
of work already chuffing freezing, at 6ft and 12 stone soaking wet there's no insulation on me. So there's no
way I'd want to then get on a bike to get home, it's bloody lovely having a good warm in the car on the way home
after 8 hours in the tomb.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:31 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got pissed on repeatedly (literally 2 miles river, 2 miles dry roads) from place of work today. Took 10 minutes to dry out when I got home.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 30 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you’re approaching a bend and feel the bike is running straight on its because you’re afraid of sliding off, so your normal sub-conscious steering inputs aren’t happening. Take control with deliberate counter-steering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alli09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:29 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Yes I have but I cannot imagine how to use it during driving..

alli09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:31 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Make sure you have a good waterproof oversuit - it's miserable being wet on a motorcycle.

Reduce speed - give yourself more thinking / braking distance, and carry lower corner speeds, reducing bike lean angle.

Be smooth with all controls - no harsh acceleration, braking, or changes in direction.

Just relax. If you've got decent tyres and you're going sensible nothing untoward is likely to happen.

My suit is waterproof (I checked it at home) but I still fell that something is going to be wrong... I need to relax and be smooth as you said

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice - make sure your tires are in good condition. Some marques and models are rated higher for use on wet surfaces: Continental Road Attack, Michelin Pilot Road 5, and Pirelli Angel GT are all highly rated for use in rain. Inflate toward the lower end of the range to allow maximum flex, and try to moderate your load.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:15 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the PR5 on the rear of the Spacker slip in the wet and dry under moderate acceleration, once on the straight in the wet and
once mid bend in the dry. It was recoverable both times but shit me up a bit none the less. I'll be part exchanging it before they need
a change. Brigestone Battlax Hypersport S22 tyres on the new bike from factory. Be interesting to see the difference.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 01 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Also worth noting that orange hi-viz is significantly more visible in heavy spray than yellow.

Also much more visible in general, simply because yellow hi-viz is so ubiquitous these days. Pink is even better, but even I have my limits

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 06 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

alli09 wrote:
Ste wrote:

Yes I have but I cannot imagine how to use it during driving..

You have a visor wiper? I didn't know such a product was on the market. What's it called so I can place my order.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I've had the PR5 on the rear of the Spacker slip in the wet and dry under moderate acceleration, once on the straight in the wet and
once mid bend in the dry. It was recoverable both times but shit me up a bit none the less. I'll be part exchanging it before they need
a change. Brigestone Battlax Hypersport S22 tyres on the new bike from factory. Be interesting to see the difference.

As in Michelin Road 5? I've really hooned my viffer on scratchy roads in torrential rain and it's stuck like glue. OK the viffer is hardly a 'blade, but I've never had it lose traction on acceleration either.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

As in Michelin Road 5? I've really hooned my viffer on scratchy roads in torrential rain and it's stuck like glue. OK the viffer is hardly a 'blade, but I've never had it lose traction on acceleration either.

Yeah that's them, was thinking that maybe I was running the tyre pressures a bit high, it's a torquey, lightweight bike.
Gonna drop the psi in the tyres and see if that makes a difference. Running 42r 36F at the moment and I've noticed
skittishness but it seems more flickable with that. I don't feel confident tipping in deep on these yet, I have a good
12mm of tyre still left on each shoulder. The factory tyres before them were worn right up to the sidewall on both sides.
But maybe I was running those softer? I'm sure when I had my suspension set up JHS Racing recommended
36 in the rear and 32 front. Gonna see if I can dig out the paperwork as I'm sure it's written on there somewhere.

Edit. Just been and dug out the paperwork, they recommended 36 front and 36 rear so I'm going to see how that feels.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

F36/R42 are what I run mine at on my 250kg viffer (120 front, 180 rear) . Most mine are worn to are the middle of the three "bars" near the edge of the shoulder but I have no confidence issues with them at all. I don't know for certain, but I'd imagine the cross-sectional shape of the tyre will affect the size of the chicken strips for a given angle of lean . . . I assume not all tyres are absolutely identical in this regard (although presumably they must have a similar circumference when the bike is upright so speedos are all reading similar).

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 10 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just a little update. carefully set my cold pressures at 36 front and rear as per JHS racings recommendation at setup
and the bike felt great. The squirrely feeling at the back was gone, felt happier tipping in, more stable mid bend and a little
more comfortable over bumpy urban roads. I was surprised to notice that even after just an hour plodding about in town
and having a mid speed blat for 20 mins along some twisties, upon return I saw I have already started encroaching into the
untouched bit of rear tyre yet I wasn't pushing hard at all as I had a precariously mounted camera on my front axle slider
thingy and I didn't want to lose it mid bend. I have to say I'm amazed at the transformation. Going to go out this morning for a
little run somewhere, not too far. I did a favour for someone last night driving them and their DJ equipment to Exeter for
a wedding gig and they are taking me out for dinner later to some fancy steakhouse in town. But I'll be taking full
advantage of the hot sticky roads to explore the grip on my bike a bit further before I go.

Edit. Had a little urban blat looking at chicks in short skirts mostly then came home and I'm another 5mm into
the unused section, didn't tackle anything too challenging but still seem to have been more confident tipping in.
Weathers great mind you, very hot roads. Looking forward to a ride out for a steak in my air conditioned car now, had
sweaty nads in my leathers today, commando in some stretchy climbing shorts now. Shocked

Had to be done. Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1